Accidentally Installed Official Froyo 2.2 Update on Rooted Incredible

logicalchaos

Reaction score
I am a Verizon customer and completely didn't stop to think that I had rooted my HTC Incredible when I manually applied the Official Froyo 2.2 update today. As a result my phone will boot up with Froyo but once to the initial home screen the white HTC screen loads and a loading indicator appears. This will remain on this screen for some time before throwing a ForceClose and ultimately causing the phone to restart. It will keep this cycle going until I stop it.

I have tried all the different angles out there for unrooting this device. Everything from proper formatting of the SD card to utilizing the right downgrade ROMs. I have covered every angle I could find by searching in the last 5 hours. I really need to recover this ASAP as I use this phone for work / business purposes.

I am running the Unrevoked Recovery ROM. I have the files to also turn off signature checking but right before I was going to try that (as the phone does not read the downgrade zip files) I zero'd my SD card out and then recreated the partition table as well as formatted it to be fat32 (via GParted).

Need Help Please!

cmwhitehead

Reaction score
Its funny that i just read this b/c i just fixed a friends Incr. He had done the same thing. What you are you going to have to do is rolback to the original version. This is going to completely wipe your phone and remove all traces of ever being rooted.

First of you are going to need to download this zip file. Once you download it extract the the zip and navigate through the folders until you see "PB31IMG.zip". Place that file at the root folder of your SD-card. *dont rename it update.zp.. after you placed the file in the root folder of your card. turn off the phone.

Press and hold the Volume Down and Power at the same time to boot into HBOOT. It will do a quick system scan and will find the zip file you placed on the sd-card and will continue to install the package. Once done it i will ask if you want to install the update by clicking one of the volume keys. continue and it will downgrade your version to 2.1 update1. reboot your device when it ask and you should be good.. :)

fell free to email me or or shoot a reply, if you have any questions: [email protected]

OP
L

logicalchaos

Reaction score
I am a Verizon customer and completely didn't stop to think that I had rooted my HTC Incredible when I manually applied the Official Froyo 2.2 update today. As a result my phone will boot up with Froyo but once to the initial home screen the white HTC screen loads and a loading indicator appears. This will remain on this screen for some time before throwing a ForceClose and ultimately causing the phone to restart. It will keep this cycle going until I stop it.

I have tried all the different angles out there for unrooting this device. Everything from proper formatting of the SD card to utilizing the right downgrade ROMs. I have covered every angle I could find by searching in the last 5 hours. I really need to recover this ASAP as I use this phone for work / business purposes.

I am running the Unrevoked Recovery ROM. I have the files to also turn off signature checking but right before I was going to try that (as the phone does not read the downgrade zip files) I zero'd my SD card out and then recreated the partition table as well as formatted it to be fat32 (via GParted).

Need Help Please!

I really mean it when I say I exhausted all posted solutions (even this one) but thanks for the suggestion. I have given up and will soon have it replaced.