About the D3's Cut, Copy & Pasting

Rocky

Reaction score
Hey, y'all. I just got the D3 and noticed that, unlike the D2, it doesn't have the immediate "Cut all" option when long-pressing a text; it rather gives you options such as the following (from where afterwards one'll be able to Cut all):

Select word

Select all

Paste

Input method

Add "[whatever]" to dictionary

So... what I'm wondering is this:

Does anyone know of a way of cutting text right away, instead of having to either go through "Select all" or selecting part ("Select word") of a given text?

I'd appreciate any tips on making this happen on this cool phone.

Rocky

jpblock82

Reaction score
Just double tap what u want, use the on-screen "hi-lighters" if u need more than a single word, then long press copy/cut. I didn't like it either when I had CM7 on my D1, but got used to it... you can also hold shift down on the physical keyboard to highlight as well... but that's old skool ;)

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Hey, guys. Although a little late, I thank you for your replies.

This is a "feature" of Gingerbread. You can star this issue to vote on it here: Issue 16026 - android - "Copy all" and "cut all" select text long-press options gone in 2.3 - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

One person says Cyanogen has put the options back but not sure if it is in the stock 2.3.4 distibution.
I'm not sure what "starring" is (still learning English), but if it helps to let them know I didn't like that new feature at all, I will. Thanks for the link.

Just double tap what u want, use the on-screen "hi-lighters" if u need more than a single word, then long press copy/cut. I didn't like it either when I had CM7 on my D1, but got used to it... you can also hold shift down on the physical keyboard to highlight as well... but that's old skool ;)

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
I think nothing beats the good ol' straight Cut and Copy all options of the previous versions. But, I know, one can get used to about anything -- even the bad things.

Rocky

Sent from my laptop using its keyboard

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I'm not sure what "starring" is (still learning English), but if it helps to let them know I didn't like that new feature at all, I will. Thanks for the link.

I don't know if starring is really a word. I just meant that you can vote for the issue at Google's Android site. To cast your vote, click the star icon.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Well, I made it a verb. You just told me I could star it. (People be verbing all kind o' words. :))

I just voted. I have no idea who'll pay attention to that, but I do hope it makes a difference.

Thanks again.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Just double tap what u want, use the on-screen "hi-lighters" if u need more than a single word, then long press copy/cut.
Hmmm. I think I didn't know this. I thought that, if I just wanted to select part of a "cuttable" text, I had to necessarily long-press > Select word > and then use the highlighting sticks. This should save some time. Thanks! dancedroid

On a website, though, for instance, you do have to Menu + e > then select whatever you wanna to a clipboard. (This is probably only doable with a QWERTY keyboard; with an on-screen keyboard: Menu > More > Select text -- which takes longer, and which is why QWERTYs are the bomb.) I'm pretty sure you knew that. Duh to me!

Have a good one.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Now I'm thinking if these phones come with a stock Clipboard (otherwise: Where do the web-copied texts go to?).

Boat

Reaction score
Now I'm thinking if these phones come with a stock Clipboard (otherwise: Where do the web-copied texts go to?).
After reading this thread I started playing with an email and discovered the following:
double tap and hold a starting point of text. It yields two framing devices that you can drag to include the text you want.
After highlighting desired text double tap on it and at bottom of screen it says "text copied to clipboard."
Go to a section of the doc or new email and long press. Voila: paste option allows you to indeed paste the selected test.
:icon_ banana:

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
After reading this thread I started playing with an email and discovered the following:
double tap and hold a starting point of text. It yields two framing devices that you can drag to include the text you want.
After highlighting desired text double tap on it and at bottom of screen it says "text copied to clipboard."
Go to a section of the doc or new email and long press. Voila: paste option allows you to indeed paste the selected test.
I guess the phone does store copied text in a sort of invisible clipboard. The problem is —I believe— it only stores the last saved text. I'm better off using a good Clipboard, like Clipper, cuz it comes in handy to me.

And... I didn't need to double tap to do these things you mentioned: a single long press was all it took to activate the "selecting robo-hands" and a single regular tap to "copy text to clipboard." Thanks, though, for sharing.

Regards

AHiLdesigns

Reaction score

I just found this out too... I really love those little selectors. It's a dream come true to have those sucka's!