A Water Battery May Keep Your Phone From Exploding In The Future

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hqdefault-2-jpg.77855

With the Note 7 debacle Samsung isn't the only OEM concerned with battery safety. No one wants this situation for their next flagship. Samsung has taken immediate steps including adding more space for batteries in newer devices and implementing a new 8 step battery inspection program to keep such a disaster from happening again.

A research team recently published a paper in "Joule" showcasing their solution for the battery heat problem. Current lithium-ion batteries use organic flammable chemicals to move ions between electrodes. The paper discusses the use of water in place of the current electrolyte solutions being used in batteries. The one issue holding this kind of battery tech back is the fact that it can only get about 70 cycles at this point. Compare that with the current 500 cycle standard and you see that we are still a ways off from this tech being practical. If the team can hammer out a solution for this major hurdle we may see safer water based batteries in our future smart phones.

via TheVerge

Attachments

• hqdefault (2).jpg
    hqdefault (2).jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 3,571

k1601

Reaction score
What about freezing...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
What about freezing...

that could be interesting. too many businesses do not allow their associates to bring their phones into the building so they are left in the car. freezing water in batteries could cause expansion issues. maybe they will use antifreeze instead :)

k1601

Reaction score
that could be interesting. too many businesses do not allow their associates to bring their phones into the building so they are left in the car. freezing water in batteries could cause expansion issues. maybe they will use antifreeze instead :)
And I can't imagine shipping is always climate controlled?

Rachael Alice

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Lenovo vibe k6
Is it safer water based batteries in everything?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
70 cycles would be plenty when you only need to recharge them once a month using "heavy water" batteries

jmagi

Reaction score
Lol at this Pandora's box tech

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

jmagi

Reaction score
Not quite. This looks like it's going to suck the life out of the water. Mean what happens to the water after 70cycles. Still drinkable? Or we going to make all the water on Earth undrinkable battery by battery. I mean also.. the obvious solution to a low cycle rate would be to make the batteries refillable like duhhh so u can change the water after 70 cycles. But since that's not being discussed it must mean it's not that simple and this thing probably kills water to create mars 2.0 eventually.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk