A really, really crazy day with my Droid (long post).

omnibus

Reaction score
It started when I realized that the automobile power cord I thought I had was the wrong USB type. I ran over to wal-mart.

The electronics department manager asked me If I had one yet when I told her what I wanted. She said they got 5 units but couldn't play with one, so I let her play with mine. When she was done I tried calling my son and got a message that airport mode needed to be shut off but I couldn't remember how.

Finally I remembered, but not until I was almost home. I then realized that the gal at WM must have held the power button down and accidentally put it in airport mode.

I tried placing the delayed call to my son and found that I couldn't connect. I got a recorded Verizon message that my phone number was invalid and to call my service provider for assistance.

I expected and got a long time on hold with Motorola and while on hold I used my wife's phone to call the Verizon store. Believe it or not both Motorola and Verizon answered within a minute of each other. I had them both on the phone for several minutes. The MOTO rep quickly determined that it was a network problem and said Verizon would have to deal with it.

After another half hour or so of fruitless trouble shooting with the Verizon guy (I think it was a guy at the Verizon service desk), he said he'd transfer me to a tech support guy named Fernando, well THANKS!!! I filled Fernando in on what he did'nt already know and he put me on hold to check the network....except he disconnected me instead. Grrrrrrrrrrr! When my temperature went down I tried again and things were back to normal. A couple of minutes later Fernando called and i gave him to good news. I tried pumping him for a few details about what the trouble was but he couldn't or wouldn't say exactly, he just set he reset some network protocol.

My blood pressure was on a roller coaster for half the day.

andjarnic

Reaction score
I feel your pain. Got home yesterday.. played with it a bit.. put it aside to do some work. Came back.. couldnt get mine to turn on. Figured there must be some sleep mode. No button worked, no tap, slide, multi button press, etc. Held buttons, slide keyboard up/down, press all keyboard buttons, nothing!! I was thinking at this point, it must be me. Googled..nothing. Too new I guess. Took battery out, put it back in, Voila! Back on it goes, battery had full charge.

Went to bed last night. Woke up this morning, same thing..again! WTF??!! Wrote on this board, one other person has the same issue. Went to store, they said I had to bring it in in that mode so they could look at it. I am betitng my life that they wont be able to figure it out. It's most likely either the memory card is bad, or that the phone has some minor defect.

So.. after over 2 years with iPhone and other crappy phones being excited about a phone this much, especially cause I am learning to develop android apps... I am quite pissed that my phone has this issue. :(

mijoko

Reaction score
buyers remorse

There are a few issues that I have: in the car cradle that I spent 30 bucks on, I can not get it to recognize that I am touching the keypad. 2) I dont know how to remove an app that I put on. My main screen has three twitterlite programs!? 3) There is not an adequate or in depth manual available to check up for what to do with this. There is something on engadget, which is the official user guide, but it is woefully inadequate. 4) I have had a few frozen screens too: I think the off button is almost like a soft rest at this point. 5) why cant the phone just stay off when I recharge it? 5) how do you clear search screens (you know, the magnifying glkass icon that is everywhere)
Questions whose answers I hope to find. Still glad I have this thing since I will find out the answers.

Droider

Reaction score
I've never had any experience with Verizon Wireless customer service. I'm new to Verizon. I think it is nice that Fernando did call you back after being disconnected. He could have just thought, "oh well if it was really important then the customer will call back."

andjarnic

Reaction score
1) Not quite sure.. you mean the home/menu/etc buttons don't do anything for you?

2) To remove an app you need to go to settings -> applications -> Manage apps.. it will show all installed apps and you can select one and uninstall it.

3) Agreed.. the manual is woefully empty that comes with it on many issues. This is why the iPhone is a FAR better phone for anyone NOT somewhat technically savvy, no offense intended as you may be. I was able to figure most things out but it did take some fooling around in various menus.

5) I think you have to manually hit the top off button to turn it off. Also, the default is a 1 minute off in the settings. You can change this to be quicker or longer, but am not sure if this is the same issue you are referring to.

pwo

Reaction score
Another way to uninstall apps, that were installed from market place:
Marketplace>Menu button>Downloads>

This will give you a list, select the one you want to remove. Uninstall will show up on the bottom-right of the screen.

OP
O

omnibus

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I think you can uninstall apps by simply dragging the icon to the bottom center of the screen. Somebody who wants to get rid of an app can prove me wrong.

mijoko

Reaction score
not so remorseful, :)

Well in the interim I did discover how to remove the shortcuts. Thanks for letting me know how to remove an app, btw. To remove a shortcut: hold it with finger while it's on the screen for a moment and you will get the haptic disconnect feel...then you can drag it down to a gabage can that appears in red form on the bottom of the screen. Ta-Da.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I think you can uninstall apps by simply dragging the icon to the bottom center of the screen. Somebody who wants to get rid of an app can prove me wrong.

That just removes them from the home screens. They're still in the menu.

pwo

Reaction score
There are a few issues that I have: in the car cradle that I spent 30 bucks on, I can not get it to recognize that I am touching the keypad. 2) I dont know how to remove an app that I put on. My main screen has three twitterlite programs!? 3) There is not an adequate or in depth manual available to check up for what to do with this. There is something on engadget, which is the official user guide, but it is woefully inadequate. 4) I have had a few frozen screens too: I think the off button is almost like a soft rest at this point. 5) why cant the phone just stay off when I recharge it? 5) how do you clear search screens (you know, the magnifying glkass icon that is everywhere)
Questions whose answers I hope to find. Still glad I have this thing since I will find out the answers.

yes when you momentarily press the power button it just puts it to sleep does not actually turn it off (just like the HTC windows mobile phones) if you want to turn it off press and hold power button for more than 2 seconds then a menu will pop up giving you options for silent, airplane, or power off. Select power off and confirm your selection.

5) Go to the settings screen, Then select applications, Next select Development, Then ensure the STAY AWAKE check mark is not highlighted.
If that don't fix it its defective my wifes was doing the same thing and I took it back today!!!

6) To clear the search screens just press the BACK soft touch key at the bottom of the phone.

Hope this helps, it is important that you spend lots of time with your phone to learn the menus like the back of your hand.

metal1

Reaction score

that is just for getting rid of the screen icon will not uninstall app

(side note) I have had many wm phones and BB storm as well and I must say every phone has its small faults and some are better at some things than others so not one is the perfect device, but in my opinion this Droid is one kick ass piece of machinery that is fast and sharp, I am loving it!!!
big thing is get used to it like any other and lots dont need to complain when they dont even know......