"A Read Report will be Sent" Forwarded Txt Msg Spam

Tomfrank

Reaction score
I woke this morning to a text message. Half asleep, i clicked it at about the same time I noticed that the subject title contained tons of "Fwd:". The text message was a typical chain letter instructing the reader to send it to 15 friends to get good karma or some nonsense.

Normally, I would ignore this sort of thing, as I've gotten a fair amount of bill collectors and odd numbers calling since this is a new phone.

However, when I first clicked the text message, an alert popped up:

"A read report will be sent"

There were two options, the first was "ok" and I cant remember what the second one was due to sleepyhead, but I believe it was something akin to "cancel" though I don't believe that's exactly what it said. I obviously clicked that option, whatever it was exactly.

I called verizon, and they said they had never heard about of such an alert. Great! They told me to call them if it happens again. Google was unhelpful when I searched for an answer, so I came here!

Any ideas? Should I be worried?

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I woke this morning to a text message. Half asleep, i clicked it at about the same time I noticed that the subject title contained tons of "Fwd:". The text message was a typical chain letter instructing the reader to send it to 15 friends to get good karma or some nonsense.

Normally, I would ignore this sort of thing, as I've gotten a fair amount of bill collectors and odd numbers calling since this is a new phone.

However, when I first clicked the text message, an alert popped up:

"A read report will be sent"

There were two options, the first was "ok" and I cant remember what the second one was due to sleepyhead, but I believe it was something akin to "cancel" though I don't believe that's exactly what it said. I obviously clicked that option, whatever it was exactly.

I called verizon, and they said they had never heard about of such an alert. Great! They told me to call them if it happens again. Google was unhelpful when I searched for an answer, so I came here!

Any ideas? Should I be worried?
Nothing I would be concerned with. More than likely, whoever sent you the text message originally, also selected to have a Read Receipt sent as well...the same as you would select on an e-mail. It just tells the origibator that you did in fact "read" the text that they sent you...