A question about Facebook and the RAZR

Shaneathan

Reaction score
I just picked up my RAZR today because my Droid was no longer usable. I spent a few minutes searching for this topic but haven't found anything, so sorry if this was already talked about. I have the feeling I'll probably swap it out for the Nexus when it comes out, but I'm gonna give this one a shot. I'm kind of confused about a couple of differences involving Facebook.

On the Droid, from the Facebook app I would hit settings and then choose the contacts I would sync. On the RAZR, there is no sync option. I then tried to go into the phone settings and there was no "Account and Sync" option like there was on the Droid. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

OP
S

Shaneathan

Reaction score
Also, what happened to the News and Weather widget? The new News widget is not at all similar to it.

Deron

Reaction score
??? In my settings menu there is an Accounts submenu. I don't sync my facebook contacts but that submenu is where you add accounts and do syncing for things like gmail and yahoo contacts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
S

Shaneathan

Reaction score
Yeah, and I added my Facebook account to that. In the Droid, you press the menu button and it gives you the option to sync that particular account right then. However, my phone hasn't synced with Facebook even though the account has been added all day.

OP
S

Shaneathan

Reaction score
Anyone? It's been days and not a single contact has synced.

Deron

Reaction score
I wonder if you need to enable some sort of permission for Android or Droid Razr on your Facebook account settings. Go to Facebook on a web browser using the full version of Facebook and look at your account settings.

Also, do you have your sync for the phone turned off?

Deron

Reaction score
Another thought. Do you have your contacts filtered? Might it be hiding your Facebook contacts because it is only showing Google contacts or only contacts with phone numbers?

OP
S

Shaneathan

Reaction score
I wonder if you need to enable some sort of permission for Android or Droid Razr on your Facebook account settings. Go to Facebook on a web browser using the full version of Facebook and look at your account settings.

Also, do you have your sync for the phone turned off?

Contacts are filtered, but it was fine like that on my Droid. It automatically synced Facebook contacts with Gmail contacts with the same name. My phone's sync is on, but unlike the Droid, there's no "Accounts and Sync" menu. Just "Accounts." There's nothing in the Facebook full page settings that look off.

beyondzero

Reaction score
I then tried to go into the phone settings and there was no "Account and Sync" option like there was on the Droid. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

I was having a similar issue and was perplexed by the absence of the Accounts and Sync. This is either a Motorola skin thing or a change in this version of Android (probably the former). There is a Background Data option under the Data Manager menu item; be sure that is enabled. The original Sync setting still exists because I use Tasker and I was able to manually toggle it through Tasker. I had a Lo Batt Tasker profile configured to disable Sync and then when I charged I couldn't re-enable sync through the normal Android settings menus. Also the widget with stock Android that allowed to toggle the setting is blocked by Motorola too.

I really wish the handset makers would stop putting these customizations on here, or at least allow us to remove them. Because of this I will probably return it for a Nexus, unless HTC crippled it with a skin too.

Zandar

Reaction score
I really wish the handset makers would stop putting these customizations on here, or at least allow us to remove them. Because of this I will probably return it for a Nexus, unless HTC crippled it with a skin too.
The Nexus is made by Samsung at the direction of Google. There will be no skin on it.

beyondzero

Reaction score
The Nexus is made by Samsung at the direction of Google. There will be no skin on it.

Sorry...I meant Samsung....thanks. And that is good news about the absence of the skin. Now if only it were global ready (I heard the Nexus, like this Razr, is not global)...

Zandar

Reaction score
There's already a Galaxy Nexus GSM phone (which won't work on Verizon, obviously). The GNex looks great, but it's not going to be that much better than the RAZR. If Moto really does decrypt the bootloader for ICS, I'm betting the RAZR will actually be a better phone (though Nexus devices are always rad, so it'll probably be down to a matter of taste).

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I think you have to go download the actual Facebook app to get the sync. Whatever comes preloaded on the droid doesn't do it. Might be mistaken.

OP
S

Shaneathan

Reaction score
I did. There was no Facebook app installed when I got my phone.

jrmdroid

Reaction score
I only got the accounts and sync to come if I disabled data sync, wifi, and left cell data enabled, if I opened the Android market I was prompt to enable or quit. When I selected enable I got the accounts and sync. I guess it is there but hidden with moto blur.....