A message to potential buyers and current whiners

sin vicious

Reaction score
I started my smart phone journey with Iphone 2g, 3g then upgraded to 3gs just like many others here. Let me first say the iphone is a great product that had a slow evolution of technology.. The process in which iphone evolved was slow and steady. Now, to those who are having problems.. be patient, the Droid has been able to pack so many features in a single roll out.. give moto and verizon some time to iron all the kinks out.. I gladly jumped from ATT to Verizon and im so happy i did... If your sick and tired of the meager speeds from ATT 3g.. dropped calls, missed calls, delayed text messages.. its worth going to droid.

wil318466

Reaction score
I never had the iPhone. I thought about it somewhat, but realized I couldn't change networks, and just went through iPhone envy.

A friend of mine left Verizon to get an iPhone. I was the first person he called. He said "how do I sound"? I said "you sound a bit muffled", and then he had a dropped call.

After that, I wasn't so envious. I'm just not willing to put up wtih an unreliable network. Like someone else said - what good is it if it doesn't work?

-Wil

Gisboro

Reaction score
I agree, I jumped ship a few days ago and I won't be looking back. Not only do I have a phone that, imho, is as good as the iPhone, but I am now on a network that blows AT&T away.

Timber

Reaction score
I never had the iPhone. I thought about it somewhat, but realized I couldn't change networks, and just went through iPhone envy.

-Wil
Yeah, I was a sufferer of iPhone envy. I really like the iPod Touch/iPhone but I'm partial to the Verizon network. I can put up with some growing pains with the Droid as long as Motorola/Google continues to improve on things.

keiichi25

Reaction score
I will say that the Droid won't kill the iPhone... I am not going to say iPhone users should be Droid users or it is going to be better than a Blackberry. :)

People just have to understand, no matter which phone you go with, there will always be quirks. All phones have 'issues' the first time a model comes out, and it will 'improve' over time.

Also don't forget, not everything is going be perfect for you. :)

As for iPhone Envy... I semi-had it, but never really liked iPod or iPhone cause of the one design thing that I have never really been happy about... An irreplaceable battery.

hazydave

Reaction score
I will say that the Droid won't kill the iPhone... I am not going to say iPhone users should be Droid users or it is going to be better than a Blackberry.

I do agree... there are people who will buy the iPhone for a long time, just as there are those who bought iPods, despite many better features on other PMPs.

It's pretty much even the wrong question to be asking... it won't be the DROID killing the iPhone, simply because it doesn't have to be the DROID, and in the end, the iPhone won't be killed.

Rather, it will be Android dominating the smart phone market, pushing the idea of smart phones down in price and up in features, faster than Apple ever can. Even with all that money in the bank, Apple is just one company. Every significant company in the cellular business other than Apple, Nokia, RIM, and Palm are working on Android devices. Nokia isn't doing a handset, but they have an Android tablet in the works, so it's not guaranteed even they will stick to Symbian.

Most of the OS slots in Smart Phones right now going to Android come from Symbian and Microsoft devices... but that's only because the other three are fully proprietary.

People just have to understand, no matter which phone you go with, there will always be quirks. All phones have 'issues' the first time a model comes out, and it will 'improve' over time.

Yup. And not every device is going to be uniformly perfect versus something else. Even as a PC user, I can see the occasional Nice Thing Apple puts into a Mac.. I'm just not willing to move from "open" to "proprietary" to get that... much less forego the dozens of things the PC is doing for me that a Mac can't.

As for iPhone Envy... I semi-had it, but never really liked iPod or iPhone cause of the one design thing that I have never really been happy about... An irreplaceable battery.

For me... maybe a little. I've been literally surrounded by iPhone users, and yeah, there was a bit of cool there. Much of it was just for show.. a flasher GUI might look cooler, but in the end, if it's functional, I'm good with it. I used a Palm for years, and my iPhone envy relative to that was simply that Apple was supporting their OS, devices, and developers, while the PalmOS was stagnant, they didn't update old hardware they easily could have, and the best you could usually see in apps were updates of older apps. No fun.

On the other hand, I could write and publish my own Palm app... I couldn't do this on the iPhone, unless Apple deemed it ok. I can understand some level of entrance exam to be in their store, but no, iPod apps are in the store or they don't functionally exist. No thanks... that alone would keep me away... I know better than Steve Jobs what programs belong on my purchased hardware.

So nearly a year ago, rather than buying another abandoned Palm to replace my 700p when it died (and Verizon offered cheap upgrades), I sat and waited for Verizon to get into the 21rst century on smart phones. DROID was close as I could expect to "just what I asked for"... I was there in line at 6AM.

greenchicken

Reaction score
I would have bought an iphone a long time ago if they would not have been like "the aol" of phones... as a matter of fact, I hated my blackberry when verizon blocked the gps on it and tried to force me to buy their navigation app...

I don't like that, now I am all for people getting a couple bucks for their apps and don't always expect everything to be free, I just do not like the idea of being told what I can and can not put on my phone.... I don't use Google Voice much but I want to be able to if I wanted too..... I am glad iphone is there, I am also hoping with the way the Droid is like the outlaw it will force them to make the iphone basically wide open like the Droid and give those people the full effect of a super smart phone and unleash all its powers...

I have no phone envy, I can have any phone I want, I just choose the one that enables me to do what I want to do on my phone instead of being told what I can do on my phone.

moparharn

Reaction score
I agree with the OP, however there will always be a group

of people who simply want to buy a phone, turn it on, and everything works for them. The Iphone is good for those people who do not want to be the guinea pig or have to learn the ins and outs of a new arcitecture. If Verizon works out the bugs I think I will stay with the Droid, I think mostly out of respect for what it is trying to do. It must deleiver emails on time everytime, if not any phone I would return. I love the virtual keyboard and can use it better than the physical, which is kind of funny because I bought the droid for its physical keyboard. If things don't smooth out I WILL go back to ATT and buy the Iphone orpossibly wait for the Passionon Verizon and see if it is better than the Droid. I enjoy being part of the new phones developement, but only to a point. It must allow the communication function to work without fail, this is something I could ALWAYS count on with my Blackberry (minus the dropped calls).