A little confused about .893 / .902

DB_Tae

Reaction score
Well I have to say that even though I've had my Bionic for about 3 months now, I still have no idea about its system versions. My phone is currently running 5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US, and on the forums I always see threads about this .901 update. Then I see a few comments implying that there's a correlation between rooted phones and this .901 update. So does this mean that only rooted phones can get this update? Or does it just mean that it's an update that can only be obtained manually through some other website? Please fill me in here, I'm still a complete noob to the Droid community.

homez3

Reaction score
You don't have 2 be rooted, but right now you can only get by manually installing it, unless you wanna wait till Verizon pushes it, no clue when that'll be.
Here's the link & the install instructions http://www.mediafire.com/?f2ccj99tr8y6194 Be sure you have the Motorola drivers installed from USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA on your PC. Or you can download it directly to your phone at http://db.tt/b8eleKEi If you do that, use a File Managing app (like Astro) to move it to the correct location in step #4 (and skip step #5).

1. Go to Menu>Setting>Applications>Development and check "USB Debugging."
2. Plug phone into computer.
3. Press "Mass USB Storage" from the list of choices. Two drives will show up. One is MOT (Internal Storage) and the other is Removable Drive (SD-EXT).
4. Put the downloaded file on the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not internal storage). No need to change the name or extract it.
5. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
6. Power phone down
7. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
8. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.
9. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
10. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded above, press Power and let it load.
11. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (a few minutes)

Sent from my Rooted 901 DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:
Reaction score
The .901 update can be applied on a non-rooted phone, just put it on your sd card, boot into stock recovery, apply update and point it to the .901 file. The problem is it updates you're radio and kernel so pity it's much harder to return to stock if you need to. You'll never actually be back where you were because of this. Once you update a radio you can't go back so even though you can revert the os back the radio will stay the same. In my opinion the update is great. I have not lost data since i applied it and when i switch from wifi to data it it's much quicker to pick it up than before. Hope this helps a little

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
D

DB_Tae

Reaction score
You don't have 2 be rooted, but right now you can only get by manually installing it, unless you wanna wait till Verizon pushes it, no clue when that'll be.
Here's the link & the install instructions Blur_Version.5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip. Be sure you have the Motorola drivers installed from USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA on your PC. Or you can download it directly to your phone at http://db.tt/b8eleKEi If you do that, use a File Managing app (like Astro) to move it to the correct location in step #4 (and skip step #5).

1. Go to Menu>Setting>Applications>Development and check "USB Debugging."
2. Plug phone into computer.
3. Press "Mass USB Storage" from the list of choices. Two drives will show up. One is MOT (Internal Storage) and the other is Removable Drive (SD-EXT).
4. Put the downloaded file on the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not internal storage). No need to change the name or extract it.
5. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
6. Power phone down
7. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
8. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.
9. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
10. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded above, press Power and let it load.
11. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (a few minutes)

Sent from my Rooted 901 DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Both of your links are invalid :O

homez3

Reaction score
Fixed first link, second link is dead, sorry. Just search on Google for the drivers.

y0yoyo

Reaction score
i want to say thanks for the .901 update...i got the .893 update awhile back when it was leaked and i was happy with the camera fixes...the .901 update is even better because i havent had a data drop since...i wanted to stick with .893 to stay on the update path to ultimately get ICS, but i grew tired of waiting...if you were hesitant with getting .901 and have date drops, i would get it now...ICS may not come out till late summer from everything i have read

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
The .901 update can be applied on a non-rooted phone, just put it on your sd card, boot into stock recovery, apply update and point it to the .901 file. The problem is it updates you're radio and kernel so pity it's much harder to return to stock if you need to. You'll never actually be back where you were because of this. Once you update a radio you can't go back so even though you can revert the os back the radio will stay the same. In my opinion the update is great. I have not lost data since i applied it and when i switch from wifi to data it it's much quicker to pick it up than before. Hope this helps a little

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I understand that http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-bionic/190111-one-click-get-back-upgrade-path.html is supposed to work.

Just search on Google for the drivers.

You should be able to get the drivers at USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA although when you first plug your phone into your PC it may install them then.

Also, most of the comments about .901 and rooting deal with either losing root and how to retain it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
i want to say thanks for the .901 update...i got the .893 update awhile back when it was leaked and i was happy with the camera fixes...the .901 update is even better because i havent had a data drop since...i wanted to stick with .893 to stay on the update path to ultimately get ICS, but i grew tired of waiting...if you were hesitant with getting .901 and have date drops, i would get it now...ICS may not come out till late summer from everything i have read

Since .901 was an actual Moto push (accidental), if you manually install it, you'll still be on the update path.