A few noob sbf questions

fizzoyster

Reaction score
Hi my droid x is extremely cluttered and I would like to flash the rooted gingerbread. First, however I think sbfing would be a good idea. I have found an sbfing guide that will let me boot linux on my mac from a usb drive. My questions are:
Do I need to have all bloatware installed prior to sbfing?
I had at some point flashed tranquility and then took it off my phone but I still get the liberty logo on startup. Will this effect sbfing? And lastly does anyone know how to boot from usb on a mac?
Thanks to anyone who can provide answers!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
F

fizzoyster

Reaction score
But I have to be on stock froyo before sbfing right?

FernBch

Reaction score
To answer your questions:

No, you don't need the bloat to sbf. What is om your phone when you do this is meaningless. When you sbf the phone is booted into "bootloader", not the OS.

You don't have to be on Froyo. SBF will return your phone to Froyo in stock, out of the box condition (as far as software goes).

My Droid Thrives on the DarkSlide!!!

FernBch

Reaction score
Oh, and for booting from a mac, you can always create the cd using 1KDS's instructions. That way you boot and sbf from the cd and install nothing on your pc.

My Droid Thrives on the DarkSlide!!!

OP
F

fizzoyster

Reaction score
Im using his guide. I have no blanks. he states that it can be done from usb, but only gives directions for cd booting. I think ill just wait till I find a blank. Thanks guys

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The flash drive instructions are for windows, for a mac I would go the live CD route.

OP
F

fizzoyster

Reaction score
i got my hands on a blank, burned the iso and i am currently waiting for my droid x to charge completly. 1kds, on the 2nd screenshot of the script, it says that i must reinstall, and remove the battery. When should i remove the battery? and what does it mean by reinstall? sorry if these questions seem simple. Im just trying to make sure i have the directions to the point, as i would hate to brick my phone.

OP
F

fizzoyster

Reaction score
Ok. So when I booted using the cd, I pressed enter at the boot baby boot screen, then after around two minutes of dots, my mac shut off or something. It has done it twice now

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i got my hands on a blank, burned the iso and i am currently waiting for my droid x to charge completly. 1kds, on the 2nd screenshot of the script, it says that i must reinstall, and remove the battery. When should i remove the battery? and what does it mean by reinstall? sorry if these questions seem simple. Im just trying to make sure i have the directions to the point, as i would hate to brick my phone.
You remove the battery when the script finishes, the script will tell you when to do it, I just mean pull the battery and put it back in.

Ok. So when I booted using the cd, I pressed enter at the boot baby boot screen, then after around two minutes of dots, my mac shut off or something. It has done it twice now

I would check the md5 of your downloaded file to make sure it wasn't corrupted.

OP
F

fizzoyster

Reaction score
Do I check the md5 by using disk utility?

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No, you need to use terminal, should be in utilities. Find the file path of the .iso Users/your name/Downloads/1KDStaz... for example. Open terminal and type:
cd /Users...... (the path to the folder that contains the .iso)
md5 1KDStaz... (complete file name)(tip: type 1K then tab, the file name will fill in if you are in the right dir)

OP
F

fizzoyster

Reaction score
the md5 i got was: 2f36c808ae05e914f1210bcf0ef8d33f is this the same md5 you have for the source file?

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes, that is the correct md5. I would try formatting the USB drive and trying again with unetbootin or if you have a blank CD laying around burn the .iso to a disc using imgburn or the like.