A docking question

bhall238

Reaction score
This may be a silly question but what's different about a docking station and just holding the phone sideways with a charging plug installed? I don't have the home dock (or any dock for that matter), but I was curious if the dock did anything other than hold it at a good viewing angle. I am almost certain my wife's Droid X knows the difference between her car dock and her home dock. Don't feel bad for me though, I'll be getting all that when I upgrade to the X in 2 months. At least that's the plan for now.

While I'm on the subject of docking, I wonder if anyone could help me figure out why my screen changed when I plug in my charger. Again, I don't have a dock, but it used to display a clock, now nothing happens except for the charging. I have a stock original Droid with the 2.2 OTA installed, never rooted. I thought this was a function that was stock, but in deleting some apps to conserve memory, did I delete something I shouldn't have? If it helps, I also noticed when this "quirk" started that when I unplug the phone in the morning it no longer wakes up (if I had turned off the display during the night). I have to push the button on top the phone to have the screen turn on. Thanks.

harrellj

Reaction score
The docks have a magnet in them that corresponds to one on the phone. That tells the phone whether to display the car dock (which has bigger buttons and easy access to navigation and POI information) or the home dock (which gives a big clock, current weather and easy access to music/alarms).

As for your second question, it sounds like the home dock was being triggered when you plugged in. It is an app in the app drawer, but did you possibly have something magnetic nearby when you plugged in the phone thats not there now (including case).

Last edited:
OP
bhall238

bhall238

Reaction score
I don't have a case, I have the black swivel belt clip that I got from the Verizon store, so no magnet I don't think, but I will plug it in tonight with the phone near the clip. The phone sits in this clip with the face inward and since I have the big extended battery that's the only way it can sit. It has been that way for a good while now so maybe I had the clip closer to the phone? In any case though, you are saying it isn't something that I could have deleted right? Wouldn't you think something like this would be undeletable like Twitter is now for goodness sake? :icon_cussing:

Can you suggest an app that I need to look for to give me this capability back in case the other idea doesn't work? Thanks for your quick response by the way.

Last edited:

harrellj

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply (previous one was before I went to work), but I'd suggest Tasker. At least, I think it has an option to do thing based off whether you're plugged in or not. If so, it should be able to launch the home dock app which is already built into the phone (and only deletable if you have root).

OP
bhall238

bhall238

Reaction score
I've never rooted so it must still be there. I'll try tasker and thanks again.

abadbronc

Reaction score
You can always stick a fridge magnet to the back of your phone at night. It works, lol. The home dock sensor is directly below the camera and the car dock sensor is about an inch closer to the middle of the phone.

I used to use an app called dockrunner before 2.2.

Last edited: