A couple quick Maxx questions

Krenzy

Reaction score
Since updating to OTA ICS, my signal went from full bars 3G to one or two 3G bars. I have no 4G in this area. Downloaded the Thunderbolt toggle but it hasn't helped me signal at all; neither has Restore Motorola Connectivity. And the lack of signal is greatly noticeable.

Also, I have and use the Motorola Razr MAXX HD charging dock and car dock; which cases can I use that will allow me to retain the us of these docks?

ICS has been OK for me, just have to relearn a tin of stuff. But I am noticing that typing has slowed down quite a bit, or atleast the responsiveness; also my advance task killer takes forever to kills apps. Anyone else noticing those things?

leftspin

Reaction score
I'd get rid of the task killer altogether. I've said it time and time again on these forums, Android handles tasks well enough on its own that the task killer usually ends up doing more harm than good.

OP
K

Krenzy

Reaction score
OK well here's my followup question: if I should get rid of ATK, what should I use instead. Each time I go into ATK, I kill of apps using so much of my phone. I go from let's say 150m available, to 350m available after killing the apps. I need to use something to keep my phone running smoothly. Also, since ICS I noticed the amount of memory available after using ATK after the update has dropped to around 270ish from 350-380ish...any idea why?

leftspin

Reaction score
OK well here's my followup question: if I should get rid of ATK, what should I use instead. Each time I go into ATK, I kill of apps using so much of my phone. I go from let's say 150m available, to 350m available after killing the apps. I need to use something to keep my phone running smoothly. Also, since ICS I noticed the amount of memory available after using ATK after the update has dropped to around 270ish from 350-380ish...any idea why?

ICS is probably a bit more resource intensive. As far as a substitute for ATK, I'd say none. I've never once used a task killer on any Android device I was using and they've always run very smoothly.

In ICS you have the ability to disable apps that you don't use (I'm not really sure how, I root and remove the preinstalled apps I don't use, also I use a custom ROM) but if you disable the apps that you don't want you'll probably free up a lot of memory.

EDIT- Disable apps you don't want by going to Settings>Apps>(The app you want to disable)>Disable. You can also hold the home button to see what apps are currently backgrounded and swipe away the ones you want to kill

Last edited:

brucefulton

Reaction score

See Android Task Killers are Dead—Here's What You Should Be Doing

Also, see Watchdog Task Manager

Last edited:
OP
K

Krenzy

Reaction score
Thanks for the links and advice, I'll read them now.

Any help with the signal and case questions?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Check out this thread about reception: Signal Strength

In short, ICS represents the signal differently (and more accurately) in the bars that you see. Also, the bars are not the best way to gauge your signal strength. Look at the actual number: Settings -> About phone -> Status -> Network type and strength. That number is your actual signal strength.

OP
K

Krenzy

Reaction score
1x = 87 @ 3 bars
3g = 90 @ 3 bars

Is this good or bad? Normal?

Tuna62

Reaction score
In response to ATKs... I agree with aboves response. You really don't what to overly concern yourself with how much free space you have. It would be more beneficial to completely disable those apps you don't want to run in the first place.
Once you have running what you want... Let them go. By killing them every time, your responsiveness will go in the toilet because phone is forced to crank them every time they start.

ddenuzz

Reaction score
1x = 87 @ 3 bars
3g = 90 @ 3 bars

Is this good or bad? Normal?

For 3g, that is right in the middle range. It should be fine. As long as your data speed is normal and you are not dropping signal constantly. Trust me, I had the Gnex on ICS and not only did it read low, but it also DROPPED constantly. No such problems with my Maxx- havent dropped a call yet and maybe i've dropped data once so far.

It's all about the performance. Don't stress about the signal.

ddenuzz

Reaction score
As an additional frame of reference, I usually get -75 dbm in my house which is very solid signal. But when i'm out and about, it fluctuates from -68 to about -110 or so.

In summation, don't sweat it unless it becomes a big issue in performance.

OP
K

Krenzy

Reaction score
I should also clarify that its not just memory I'm concerned about when using ATK, but the fact that my browser hangs ALOT since ICS. Killing the browser and then going back into it typically returns faster browsing. I would love to not gave to kill apps all the time but it gets so laggy.