A couple of questions before I buy

krpiper

Reaction score
Hello. I was thinking about buying the Thunderbolt but I think I will get this phone instead. I am upgrading from a Droid 1.

1. How is the battery life? Is it acceptable to get through a full day? Or should I buy a extended battery? Like this one Set Your Location

2. How is motoblur? I am a big Launcher Pro user, can I install LP "over" blur?

3. My Droid 1 gets really hot when I use it a lot, like with the screen on for a long time, or playing angry birds, but especially when I'm on a phone call. Does the D2 fix this problem.

4. Any difference between the D2 and the Global? The local Verizon store has Global's, wasnt sure if it was worth finding a non global.

5. Your thoughts, Pros/Cons

Reaction score
1. Battery life, in my experience, has been average. It's not great, or bad. I tend to get an entire day out of it with about 30% leftover after moderate usage, charging every night is a necessity.

2. In my opinion, Motoblur is okay i guess, i just with it were smoother and not so laggy. And yes you can install LauncherPro over motoblur. I use Launcherpro as my homescreen and it's been that way for months.

3. I've noticed that when I use resource intensive apps, that the phone tends to get a little warm, it does the same thing if I'm on the phone for a very long time (1 hour+). It doesn't really bother me at all, I consider it a very minor thing.

4. The only difference as far as I'm aware is that the Global has a GSM radio in it for use on GSM carriers worldwide. It also has a 1.2GHz processor vs the 1GHz in the D2. Someone also said that the recent calls tab in the Dialer app only shows an estimate of when recent calls were made. For example "about 2 hours ago" vs the D2 saying the approximate time down to the minute, which would probably be annoying in my opinion.

5. One very notable con, for me (not sure how many people this affects), is that most if not all (i've tried A LOT) of the SMS Backup apps out in the market don't work with the Droid 2 or X. It's listed in the app description of a few major SMS backups apps that there is a firmware in Motoblur that prevents them from properly backing up all text messages. When I try to back them up, messages are either in the wrong sent/received order, aren't backed up/received at all, or have the wrong time stamp.

I think one of the pros of the Droid 2 is the keyboard, I think it's great. It's much better than the D1's keyboard.

I'd recommend the Droid 2. I'm happy with it.