901 to 893

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any good guestimates on how long we should wait? I know that might be hard to determine, but just wondering if anyone had a rough estimate. As of right now, my system still says up to date, so it hasn't even tried anything yet.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I'm guessing next week myself. Who knows, it might be Saturday. Or not.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score

FrankieZee

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a few more days before I go through with that. I'm not completely upset with .901, but it didn't actually cure everything for me.

Just curious if it'll get pushed or if I'm forever off the OTA update path. That way I have an idea on what to expect if/when ICS gets released.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a few more days before I go through with that. I'm not completely upset with .901, but it didn't actually cure everything for me.

Just curious if it'll get pushed or if I'm forever off the OTA update path. That way I have an idea on what to expect if/when ICS gets released.

When you check for updates your phone is pinging the carrier to see if you're scheduled to get it, based on your IMEI (or MEID) number. If the update starts out on the 13th and you're not scheduled until the 16th then your phone will say that it's up to date until then.

If you're at .901 and installed it manually (like me), I believe that you're off the update path as the carrier is expecting you to have 5.5.893 and since you no longer have it, it says that you're up to date.

You do have a couple of options. One is to go back to 5.5.893 and wait for the OTA update. Or you can get the .901 to .902 update at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...-soak-test-build-post-here-4.html#post2005512 Personally I didn't notice much of a difference between .901 and .902, but you may.

Last edited:

FrankieZee

Reaction score
If you're at .901 and installed it manually (like me), I believe that you're off the update path as the carrier is expecting you to have 5.5.893 and since you no longer have it, it says that you're up to date.

I think I've read accounts from people on these boards that manually installed .901. Some of them had said it pushed to them, and some say it won't happen and we'll have to roll back or manually update.

Not quite sure what will actually happen, so since 901 did help me a little, I'm willing to give it a few more days.

Tonik

Reaction score
I think I've read accounts from people on these boards that manually installed .901. Some of them had said it pushed to them....

I don't think anyone said that, and if they did I would question it. It may have pushed the full 893 to 902 update to them. But it didn't push the 901 to 902 update.

I was on the soak, and it was very clear that Moto knew exactly who they accidentally sent 901 to and those were the only phones they sent the 901 to 902 to. They do all of this by the IMEI numbers, unique to each phone. It isn't your phone calling Moto and saying 'I have this version, do you have an update for it'. It is your phone calling Moto and saying 'here is my IMEI number, do you have an update that is being specifically sent to my IMEI number'. Currently Moto thinks you are on 893, so you will get the full update and it will fail.

Thankfully some of the people that got it posted it in the other thread, and those of us that manually did the 901 were able to just apply that. Quick and easy 15 minute job. Just grab it, install it and you will be done.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone said that, and if they did I would question it. It may have pushed the full 893 to 902 update to them. But it didn't push the 901 to 902 update.

I was on the soak, and it was very clear that Moto knew exactly who they accidentally sent 901 to and those were the only phones they sent the 901 to 902 to. They do all of this by the IMEI numbers, unique to each phone. It isn't your phone calling Moto and saying 'I have this version, do you have an update for it'. It is your phone calling Moto and saying 'here is my IMEI number, do you have an update that is being specifically sent to my IMEI number'. Currently Moto thinks you are on 893, so you will get the full update and it will fail.

Thankfully some of the people that got it posted it in the other thread, and those of us that manually did the 901 were able to just apply that. Quick and easy 15 minute job. Just grab it, install it and you will be done.

Adding a bit to that, when the OG Droid went to Froyo, I did a manual install. I never got the update OTA or even a notice that there was one. It's possible that Moto looks at your IMEI number as well as the version on your phone. If Moto (via IMEI) expects you to have .893 AND you have .893, then you get the update. Otherwise it goes on to the next IMEI. I'm guessing this because I was part of this soak test and since I had .901 installed manually, I never got any kind of update OTA.

Last edited:

Tonik

Reaction score
I'm guessing this because I was part of this soak test and since I had .901 installed manually, I never got any kind of update OTA.

You bring up a very valid point. Now that I think about it....I was on the this soak and the one before. Both times I was also off where they expected me to be, and never got an update notice.

FrankieZee

Reaction score
Yea folks wait a bit. the update will still push and try to install no matter what version you are on.

I may have misread this to read "you may get it and it will work" instead of "you may get it pushed, but it may not work", but this is the kind of comment I was referring to.

Perhaps I misspoke when I said "some of them had it pushed to them". I'm starting to think it's all speculation at this point, but the way you guys explain it makes sense.

Tonik

Reaction score
'm starting to think it's all speculation at this point, but the way you guys explain it makes sense.

Absolutely. We are learning as we go. Prior to aaf709 post, two posts up I still thought we would get the push and it would fail. But his story triggered my memory on my prior soaks and never getting a notify. We still probably have part of the process figured out wrong, but I think we are getting closer to the truth. :)

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I may have misread this to read "you may get it and it will work" instead of "you may get it pushed, but it may not work", but this is the kind of comment I was referring to.

Perhaps I misspoke when I said "some of them had it pushed to them". I'm starting to think it's all speculation at this point, but the way you guys explain it makes sense.

It may be the case. When the soak test came out and the first "Here's the update" thread started, the update file was Blur_Version.5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip. When I made the comment that it proved those with .901 wouldn't get it, I was corrected. But everyone who corrected me had gotten .901 OTA and not manually.

One of those posted they had Blur_Version.5.9.901.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip (see post #19 of this thread) which is what I used. In theory, my phone will continue to say that it's up to date until Blur_Version.5.9.902.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip comes out (if ever).

Last edited:

FrankieZee

Reaction score
So, from what I'm understanding now, is as an unrooted user who manually loaded the .901 update, I have two options; (1) revert back to .893, or (2) find a .902 update to manually load.

I have read sargentmajord's thread here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...-5-893-fxz-901-902-compatible-902-update.html for the .902 update. Am I right in thinking that if I stop at step 3 that I will be back on .893 OTA path?

Tonik

Reaction score
So, from what I'm understanding now, is as an unrooted user who manually loaded the .901 update, I have two options; (1) revert back to .893, or (2) find a .902 update to manually load.

I have read sargentmajord's thread here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...-5-893-fxz-901-902-compatible-902-update.html for the .902 update. Am I right in thinking that if I stop at step 3 that I will be back on .893 OTA path?

Are you trying to get root? If so then yes, stop at 893 which is where you grab root and you will be on the update path. If you want more info on rooting speak up, I will leave that info out because I get the impression you don't care if you have root. You can then wait for the OTA, or you can download it from these forums and do it now.

If you don't want root, your solution is very simple. Download the 901 to 902 update and apply it in recovery mode. It will take you 15 minutes tops and you will be up to date and good to go. It is in post 38 of the thread below. That is the one I used to get from 901 to 902. If you don't want root, just do it that way. Easy, and for sure back on track for the next update whenever that is.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...nstalled-902-soak-test-build-post-here-4.html

Again, post 38 in the thread above to go from 901 to 902. The zip file should be about 25 MB. If you get one that is about 56 MB that is the wrong one for your situation.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
So, from what I'm understanding now, is as an unrooted user who manually loaded the .901 update, I have two options; (1) revert back to .893, or (2) find a .902 update to manually load.<br>
<br>
I have read sargentmajord's thread here <a href="http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-bionic/197374-5-5-5-893-fxz-901-902-compatible-902-update.html" target="_blank">http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-bionic/197374-5-5-5-893-fxz-901-902-compatible-902-update.html</a> for the .902 update. Am I right in thinking that if I stop at step 3 that I will be back on .893 OTA path?
yes u will be i had stripped down the FXZ files to be compatible with .886/.893/.901/.902 both FXZ files .886 and .893 can be flash over each other interchangeably if u ever want to go back to original stock and bounce back to .893 but unfortunately if u go to .886 and try to update normally to .893 u will have to pull the update from the cache and replace the cdt file with a new one that i upload to the thread so since ur an unrooted user u have to stick with the .893 FXZ cuz if u go back to .886 u wont be able to update unless u can find the Official ota update for .893 not leaked one an replace the cdt file i unfortunately couldnt find the update so thats why i uploaded the cdt with steps to apply it.

Last edited:

FrankieZee

Reaction score
Are you trying to get root? If so then yes, stop at 893 which is where you grab root and you will be on the update path. If you want more info on rooting speak up, I will leave that info out because I get the impression you don't care if you have root. You can then wait for the OTA, or you can download it from these forums and do it now.

If you don't want root, your solution is very simple. Download the 901 to 902 update and apply it in recovery mode. It will take you 15 minutes tops and you will be up to date and good to go. It is in post 38 of the thread below. That is the one I used to get from 901 to 902. If you don't want root, just do it that way. Easy, and for sure back on track for the next update whenever that is.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...nstalled-902-soak-test-build-post-here-4.html

Again, post 38 in the thread above to go from 901 to 902. The zip file should be about 25 MB. If you get one that is about 56 MB that is the wrong one for your situation.

Correct. I'm not overly concerned with rooting at this point in time, perhaps at a later date. Perhaps after ICS. Thanks for the link, checking it out now.