802.1x connectivity

Strikeir13

Reaction score
Has anyone on Liberty been able to connect to an 802.1x secured wireless network? The wireless at my university has that protection and it would new super nice to connect to their super fast connection. I have tried many things but so far I've been unsuccessful... Anyone?

Sent from my DROIDX

teakwood

Reaction score
I would assume you need the cert and you would have to add it in the wireless settings.

OP
S

Strikeir13

Reaction score
I would assume you need the cert and you would have to add it in the wireless settings.

I'll be a little more specific with my info. Here are the general configuration guidelines for my university:

"To connect to the "[my university] Secure" SSID, you will need a device that supports 802.1X authentication and WPA2 Enterprise.

[myuniversity] supports following EAP methods:
EAP-PEAP with MSCHAPv2 (preferred)
EAP-TTLS
Encryption:
AES

Key Management:
CCMP

Certificate Details:
Our X.509 certificate used for 802.1X authentication has a common name (CN) of "wireless.netaccess.umn.edu."

The signing certificate authority (CA) is "Thawte Premium Server CA" and "AddTrust External CA Root"

The wifi.supplicant.conf file that is generated when I try to connect to the network is the following:

network={
ssid="[myuniversity] Secure"
key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
group=WEP104
eap=PEAP
identity="[my username]"
password="[my password]"
phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
priority=40
}

Any further insight would be greatly appreciated.

teakwood

Reaction score
Without having a 802.1X network to test with, you can enable wireless, head to settings then wireless and networks wifi settings.. Scroll to the bottom add wifi network... under security there is a drop down select 802.1X EAP setup from there... I hope this helps.

OP
S

Strikeir13

Reaction score
Without having a 802.1X network to test with, you can enable wireless, head to settings then wireless and networks wifi settings.. Scroll to the bottom add wifi network... under security there is a drop down select 802.1X EAP setup from there... I hope this helps.

I have done this and my wireless configuration settings above show that.

Stevo592

Reaction score
Does your school use some sort of NAC? In order to get my droid on my network at school I had to tell them my mac address because cisco doesn't make a nac agent for the droid....or for any other operating system besides windows which pissed me off. I would go talk to the IT department incharge of the network and ask them what they think.

jestyr

Reaction score
At my university I had to actually go an MANUALLY set up the wireless connection. Our wireless is secured similar to yours...802.1 EAP bla bla bla. Every time I tried to go to my wireless setting I would see the wireless network listed, I would click that entry and fill out the rest of the relevant information (username and password). But then when it would try to connect and pull an IP it would just fail. Finally I just told the phone to forget the network and then created it by hand. Same SSID, same settings...everything the same, just entered it in manually. Boom, it worked that time. And this wasnt just for me on my phone. All the people in my office that ran the older Droids had the same problem but entering it in by hand fixed them up.

teakwood

Reaction score
Sorry I misunderstood what you were asking.. I didnt realize you HAD the certificate already I thought you sent the config from the uni website.

I would try above as it does not sound like the cert installed correctly.

droidxchat

Reaction score
Im currently connected to 802.1x EAP on liberty 1.5

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
S

Strikeir13

Reaction score
At my university I had to actually go an MANUALLY set up the wireless connection. Our wireless is secured similar to yours...802.1 EAP bla bla bla. Every time I tried to go to my wireless setting I would see the wireless network listed, I would click that entry and fill out the rest of the relevant information (username and password). But then when it would try to connect and pull an IP it would just fail. Finally I just told the phone to forget the network and then created it by hand. Same SSID, same settings...everything the same, just entered it in manually. Boom, it worked that time. And this wasnt just for me on my phone. All the people in my office that ran the older Droids had the same problem but entering it in by hand fixed them up.

What do you mean entered the settings by hand? As in manually edited the wifi.supplicant file? If so, what was your method for doing that?

Sent from my DROIDX

droible

Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out? I have been having the same problems with my DX, and it appears we're at the same university. I'd love to be able to connect to wifi again. When I contacted tech support they just told me android wasn't supported :icon_evil:

jestyr

Reaction score
no, i just set up the connection in the settings menu manually. instead of going in to the settings menu and clicking on the wifi name and then entering in my username and password, i clicked on "add wifi network" and then entered everything in by hand. i have no idea why that worked because all the settings looked the same either way you do it. but this is some i could repeat on my phone and other people in the office as well.

agallo

Reaction score
802.1X Bugs

There are a lot of open:

Code:
24683 	Defect 	New Cannot connect using 802.1x for WiFi
4461 	Defect 	New Eduroam bug android 2.3.4
17845 	Defect 	New Wi-Fi: Hidden 802.1X EAP: phase 2 authentication setting is not saved/stored
17494 	Defect 	New EAP Phase 2 Authentication method is reset when reconfiguring the connection settings
16980 	Defect 	New Problem with Wlan 802.1x
15631 	Defect 	New [WiFi] 802.1x Phase 2 Authentication Doesn't Work After Gingerbread Update
15599 	Defect 	New Not able to connect to corporate Wifi with 802.1x EAP security
11130 	Defect 	New Android 2.2/Moto Droid - Cannot connect to Enterprise WiFi (Security 802.1x EAP (PEAP))
10170 	Defect 	New FroYo 2.2 official OTA Wi-Fi functionality stuck/not working
8687 	Defect 	New [Froyo beta] Missing Phase 2 Configuration for WPA-EAP 8021X
6997 	Defect 	New When using the GUI to create a connection to an "Enterprise (802.1x)" network that utilizes EAP with TTLS and PAP as the secondary authentication mechanism I am unable to connect to the nework at all.

go here Issues - android - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

to comment and 'star' the issues above to raise the visibility of these problems