6.16.210 Found on Cheesecake

Zandar

Reaction score
Why would they do that? That's what a soak test is for.
The soak test is far too short for anything of the sort. Soak tests are used to make sure there isn't some glaring code that really borks devices that was somehow overlooked. For really bug-testing and rehashing code, you need a true beta test (soaks are not betas). I'm sure Moto knows about Cheesecake exploits and could very, very easily lock up that server so that we couldn't pull "updates" from it. There's only one logical answer to the question of why they haven't, and that's so we can all beta test their stuff while they have zero liability. I actually think it's pretty cool that they do this.

pinoy_92

Reaction score
210 is nice. brought it in to verizon today and the rep liked it.

manders500

Reaction score
Does the battery seem to take longer to charge on. 210? Mine seems to take forever.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
For someone who usually either knows or figures out on my own, this Cheesecake has me stumped. I installed, ran it, and now I get the never-ending "Communicating with server". I can't change back to the "Production" server either so not on do I get that loop when checking the Cheesecake servers, but now I get that same loop when I go to Settings, About Phone, Check for updates. There, just like on the Cheesecake servers, it asks me to set up a Motorola account, and then the never-ending loop.

Other than FDR, is there any options available?

(embarassed...:eek:)

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
The soak test is far too short for anything of the sort. Soak tests are used to make sure there isn't some glaring code that really borks devices that was somehow overlooked. For really bug-testing and rehashing code, you need a true beta test (soaks are not betas). I'm sure Moto knows about Cheesecake exploits and could very, very easily lock up that server so that we couldn't pull "updates" from it. There's only one logical answer to the question of why they haven't, and that's so we can all beta test their stuff while they have zero liability. I actually think it's pretty cool that they do this.

Soak test is the ONLY point during testing that they actually care about what members of the general public have to say. Sure, it's not a true "beta test" in the traditional sense, but it is a beta test nonethless. .905 ALMOST didn't push because so many of us reported issues, it was only through investigation that the issues were caused by the network and not the build.

If a large company such as Moto really wished to do a public beta prior to the soak test, they would announce a public beta program. Sure, they KNOW about Cheesecake - they do not condone it and you can get in trouble for discussing it on their forums. And they do not scour random forum posts on the internet to see if people have issues with Cheesecaked builds or not. The only reason they don't lock their servers down more, is that they do not wish to make working with the developer servers more difficult for people who do have legitimate MotoDev accounts. They simply don't really care if 0.01% of their customers put their device at risk, or not.

The true beta testing is done internally by both Moto and Verizon. They have people they pay to do that. Difference being, THOSE people actually know what they are doing, and exactly what they are looking for. There is a very specific checklist that they go through to properly beta test. A company such as Moto is NOT going to lay it all on the line based on input from random people on forums.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
For someone who usually either knows or figures out on my own, this Cheesecake has me stumped. I installed, ran it, and now I get the never-ending "Communicating with server". I can't change back to the "Production" server either so not on do I get that loop when checking the Cheesecake servers, but now I get that same loop when I go to Settings, About Phone, Check for updates. There, just like on the Cheesecake servers, it asks me to set up a Motorola account, and then the never-ending loop.

I dunno, I was just using Cheesecake a couple of hours ago and it worked fine. I had no problems switching back to the production server, either. Maybe try a reboot and then give it another try later, before doing an FDR?

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
FoxKat said:

This one of the reasons not to play around with this app unless it's spare phone. If you want to install the leaks just wait for them to get pulled & d/l them.

Try:
Change server->production->master.......
Create proper files
Reboot
Repeat

BTW: if you end up not getting it back on the production server, unless you have some other reason to FB back I would just wait for the OTA and manually load it or go for one of the leaks now.

1339708296469.jpg

ShadER

Reaction score
I'm now running the .210 build. Only complaint i have is removing some of the bloatware. Even when rooted Amazon and Netflix cannot be removed. Says unable to locate file apk

Otherwise its awesome!

OP
brad92

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm now running the .210 build. Only complaint i have is removing some of the bloatware. Even when rooted Amazon and Netflix cannot be removed. Says unable to locate file apk

Otherwise its awesome!

Try and look in /system/app

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This one of the reasons not to play around with this app unless it's spare phone. If you want to install the leaks just wait for them to get pulled & d/l them.

Try:
Change server->production->master.......
Create proper files
Reboot
Repeat

BTW: if you end up not getting it back on the production server, unless you have some other reason to FB back I would just wait for the OTA and manually load it or go for one of the leaks now.

1339708296469.jpg

Yeah, well I'm not a novice, so I wouldn't have expected to have problems, yet it was probably something dumb that I did, like maybe forgetting to hit the "create proper files" or forgetting to reboot afterwards.

All's well that ends well. Upon the notices today of people getting the texts and my Motocast upgrading, I decided to Fastboot to .181 and wait it out. I can stand another week or two. :biggrin: