5.9.902 GPS issues? Help please.

m1k3y121

Reaction score
So after a full day of new ROMs, flashing back to stock, and spending 6 hours on the phone (on hold) with Verizon and Motorola, dealing with their staffs full of generally script-reading retards, My GPS still is only tracking to within 30 meters minimum.

This all started when I decided to switch ROMs to DroidTh3ory's new one, based on the ICS4Bionic build.http://www.droidforums.net/forum/th3ory-rom-bionic/199127-axi0m-b-cm9-4-0-3-2-18-2012-a.html In no way do I think the problems stem from this, but I do think the problems stem from me updating to the system 5.9.902. Only threw that in there to be thorough.

I have...
(obviously done the basic stuff like reboot, switch airplane mode on/off, wifi, 4g/3g, let the phone sit for an hour trying to "acquire GPS")
Edited NTP_SERVER=north-america.pool.ntp.org to: NTP_SERVER=us.pool.ntp.org
Used GPS Test and GPS Status & Toolbox to clear and update AGPS data (Both of them track 0 satellites)
Used Moto-fastboot to reflash EVERYTHING to go back to stock

And I am still having issues. Google Navigation will pull up, but say "Follow the route" and at the bottom say "Searching for GPS".

Just a side-note, before 5.9.902, everything worked perfectly, even if I was inside, unless I was in like a reinforced building of some kind.

Again, both GPS tools track 0 satellites. I am wondering if I possibly bricked the GPS unit or something...or if there's just some simple explanation that I am missing...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CBMGGM

Reaction score
GPS Status is an excellent tool and definitely
helps getting the initial sat lock. It also has a calibration methods under
Options > Tools that can help with both compass and gps optimizations. You
should always have wifi, data, and gps turned on for navigation. Wifi and data
help with a-gps (assisted gps - approximate location by cell tower
triangulation) and gps needs a clear sky above for best reception. Also, data is
required to pull map data unless you have cached map data for an area ahead of
time. I would try clearing cache and clearing data on the Maps app and resetting
the a-gps data in GPS Status. I would also do a battery pull and reboot; uninstall and reinstall Google maps if the data/cache doesn't work.

OP
m1k3y121

m1k3y121

Reaction score
GPS Status is an excellent tool and definitely
helps getting the initial sat lock. It also has a calibration methods under
Options > Tools that can help with both compass and gps optimizations. You
should always have wifi, data, and gps turned on for navigation. Wifi and data
help with a-gps (assisted gps - approximate location by cell tower
triangulation) and gps needs a clear sky above for best reception. Also, data is
required to pull map data unless you have cached map data for an area ahead of
time. I would try clearing cache and clearing data on the Maps app and resetting
the a-gps data in GPS Status. I would also do a battery pull and reboot; uninstall and reinstall Google maps if the data/cache doesn't work.

Tried the calibration options, I always have wifi, data and GPS turned on unless I was cycling them for testing, or trying without wifi to see if that was interfering (even though I know it is improbable).

I've refreshed the AGPS data, and I've completely reset the phone to the stock ROM to test that so that takes care of reinstalling maps, and I've definitely rebooted it enough. I flashed everything including the radio back to stock. It took forever to find the correct .img files but I did.