4K Android TV Shield Gaming Console is here

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the Steam Box. It is coming in November I believe. I have an enormous collection of games on there and would love to have it playing from my 60".

More info?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
I'm waiting for the Steam Box. It is coming in November I believe. I have an enormous collection of games on there and would love to have it playing from my 60".

Is there something keeping you from building your own right now? I have a low-end build with a Pentium G3258 and a GTX 560 that would perform close to most next gen consoles. It's made me experiment and get a little bit more familiar with Linux. The streaming aspect works surprisingly well from my beefier gaming rig.

I'm reserving excitement for now as nothing groundbreaking has happened since I've installed the beta. I'm hoping Valve will release an API for the application as well, and that's when things could really get interesting. Also, we'll see what the Vulkan API can do and if it will garner more mainstream support in the Linux corner.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I have a smart TV already and where I do like the look of Nvidia's TV box I don't see myself subscribing to a streaming service. Valve has over ten hardware vendors working on their own boxes and that will make the final choice very difficult. Right now I am using an HDMI cable with a wireless mouse and keyboard. I'm looking forward to a controller and a dedicated box.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
Valve also announced Steam Link: Valve reveals Steam Link a 50 box built for Steam in-home game streaming PCWorld

steam-link-100571402-large.jpg

I have no idea what processor is under the hood or what OS it runs. It also may not even be "Google cast compatible", but it's worth a look for $50, despite the fact that it might only do Steam in-home streaming.

Also, @Ollie, I was curious if there's something keeping you from building your own Steam machine right now?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Is there something keeping you from building your own right now? I have a low-end build with a Pentium G3258 and a GTX 560 that would perform close to most next gen consoles. It's made me experiment and get a little bit more familiar with Linux. The streaming aspect works surprisingly well from my beefier gaming rig.

I'm reserving excitement for now as nothing groundbreaking has happened since I've installed the beta. I'm hoping Valve will release an API for the application as well, and that's when things could really get interesting. Also, we'll see what the Vulkan API can do and if it will garner more mainstream support in the Linux corner.

I've never owned a desktop type computer and always figured that I got a better deal buying the best of the best built already from a vendor. I couldn't see myself buying anything but the top of the line hardware, but since I have been getting more into the alpha release games on Steam I can't see myself needing anything higher than mid-range. FPS on the alphas is always the last to get tuned during the optimization phase.

I've always had notions of building my own rig and just haven't gotten around to it. I am currently boot camping Win8 on my MBP and use it exclusively for gaming. The only time I boot into OSX is to sync my iPhone on Sunday's. I need a larger hard drive so maybe instead of throwing money at that I could start plugging away at a custom box.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for catching this @pc747! Great job! This was a surprise out of left field because we had no indication this was being launched!

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
I've never owned a desktop type computer and always figured that I got a better deal buying the best of the best built already from a vendor. I couldn't see myself buying anything but the top of the line hardware, but since I have been getting more into the alpha release games on Steam I can't see myself needing anything higher than mid-range. FPS on the alphas is always the last to get tuned during the optimization phase.

I've always had notions of building my own rig and just haven't gotten around to it. I am currently boot camping Win8 on my MBP and use it exclusively for gaming. The only time I boot into OSX is to sync my iPhone on Sunday's. I need a larger hard drive so maybe instead of throwing money at that I could start plugging away at a custom box.

Buying a pre-built gaming rig will nearly always result in less bang for buck. I sent you a PM so I don't clog a thread about 4K Android TV :)
Back to topic, I have several games in my Steam collection that I wish synced save files with my phone. The Walking Dead series from Telltale is one of them. Thanks to this new box, I wonder if there might be a cloud save sync between Android and PC now just like there is between Windows/OSX/Linux.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Buying a pre-built gaming rig will nearly always result in less bang for buck. I sent you a PM so I don't clog a thread about 4K Android TV :)
Back to topic, I have several games in my Steam collection that I wish synced save files with my phone. The Walking Dead series from Telltale is one of them. Thanks to this new box, I wonder if there might be a cloud save sync between Android and PC now just like there is between Windows/OSX/Linux.

I've been building my own gaming rigs for years, you always get a better deal when you build your own and it's not that difficult, I 100% agree with @supermandroid

I certainly hope for save sync between android windows etc etc, that would be amazing as I've got some games that span both systems and yet, playing on one does not affect another.

This Nvidia shield looks pretty amazing. I'm definitely getting the tablet to replace my nexus 7 and then I'll have to get this even though I've got a smart TV. I'm excited about streaming my PC games to my TV without having to move my PC or use a long HDMI Cable

edit: on the topic of steam machines, I could definitely see them using this song in some ads

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good q/a in that video as some of those question I had. To break it down the package for their streaming services will come in to tiers 720p and premium 1080p.
They will have Arkham Knight available for purchase (did not answer if Madden or other sports games will be available).
Swipe gestures for volume on the remote.
Controller uses Wifi Direct technology to reduce latency with 40 hrs of gaming per charge.
$199 for console and game controller available in May.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
The problem with a Steam Box is you wont' be able to play any games that aren't linux compatible. It really limits the number of games available. For now, I just connect my PC to my TV via HDMI and use an xbox 360 controller. that way I get all my games.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The problem with a Steam Box is you wont' be able to play any games that aren't linux compatible. It really limits the number of games available. For now, I just connect my PC to my TV via HDMI and use an xbox 360 controller. that way I get all my games.

I am doing the same with my laptop with the exception that I use a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

I could triple boot OSX/Win8-Win10/and Ubuntu eventually and be fully Steam compatible, but streaming a pay per game subscription service is not for me. Mainly due to modding. Can you inject community modded content with Nvidia's Box?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
this is completely untrue, there is a multitude of ways to run Windows programs in Linux, WINE is one such solution.

Gaming on Linux A guide for sane people with limited patience PCWorld

not to mention the majority of these steam boxes will more than likely be powerful enough to run Windows proper.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk