4K Android TV Shield Gaming Console is here

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
"SteamOS will also provide in-home operating system streaming for Windows and Mac games, integrate with media providers, and allow multiple household users to define their own achievement and save accounts."

Streaming is not what I am after. If they don't provide a virtual machine to load Windows with, allow partitioning to dual boot then I guess I will be passing on both the Shield and the Steam Machine.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
this is completely untrue, there is a multitude of ways to run Windows programs in Linux, WINE is one such solution.

Gaming on Linux A guide for sane people with limited patience PCWorld

not to mention the majority of these steam boxes will more than likely be powerful enough to run Windows proper.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I love that gaming on Linux website as well! I've always dabbled in Linux a bit, but it wasn't until I built my own file server and tweaked SteamOS (just to get audio!) that I really started to learn more about it.

"SteamOS will also provide in-home operating system streaming for Windows and Mac games, integrate with media providers, and allow multiple household users to define their own achievement and save accounts."

Streaming is not what I am after. If they don't provide a virtual machine to load Windows with, allow partitioning to dual boot then I guess I will be passing on both the Shield and the Steam Machine.

Don't confuse Steam in-home streaming with Nvidia's Grid streaming. Nvidia's Grid streaming will be cloud-based streaming at a subscription cost, and Steam's built-in streaming will be over your local network and will vary depending on your infrastructure (I always recommend a wire if possible). Also, running a Windows game in a VM will vastly reduce performance and is almost never recommended. However, these are full blown unlocked computers, and nobody is stopping you from installing a Windows partition and dual-booting. Just an FYI, though, Steam in-home streaming works surprisingly well! While the Nvidia Shield is certainly much more powerful than any other Android device, I think I'll go with the Razer Forge TV that is also Google cast compatible, Steam/Origin streaming capable, and is open to sideloading apps such as Kodi.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
My excitement for this is waning in light of the "game ready drivers" for the Witcher 3 didn't include updates for my Nvidia GTX 760. In the meantime I'm going to stick to my gaming PC and probably go the Steam Link route.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah. As a casual gamer the main games im looking for, the maddens, ncaa football, etc. Without the licensing rights to those sports games it is doa for me.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Put this in a quality A/V receiver and I'm sold. Don't care much for my PS3 interface, and all I pretty much do with it is watch Netflix, NFL Ticket and occasionally VUDU. Haven't watched an actual DVD in a long time.