4g quality sub-par?

drocksmash

Reaction score
Hello! ---- long story, scroll to last few sentences if you just want to see my issue!

I just ditched a rooted TBOLT for this BIONIC.

I am loving the bionic so far, however, we have had a few quarrels.

I used the tbolt heavily for 2 months, and became accustomed to having consistent 4g at work/home/anywhere near where i live. I was doing speed tests at least weekly and hitting 15+ MB/s consistently.

Yesterday while @ work i noticed the bionic was only on 3g, confused by this I started troubleshooting. I googled this issue and saw that many other are having the phone not switch to 4g as well, and their advice was to switch to airplane mode (or disable data) then reboot and return to CDMA/LTE, when that didnt work I drove around and parked outside trying to get4g.

This did not work, so i called verizon and we did the whole troubleshoot business. They ended up telling me to go replace "it"

On my way to the verizon store the 4g connection came back. When I got to the verizon store they wanted to replace my SIM only, not the phone. I explained that I have 14 days to return/exchange, i want a new phone and that is what customer serviced advised I could do. They reluctantly agreed, and it took about an hour due to some issues exchanging with their system.

The new phone had 4g all night at home, and now I am back at work and BOOM! 3G.
Does the antenna just not pick up a signal as strong as the tbolt? ... i am only pullg 6MB/s (if i am lucky) with the bionic... while i love the phone it looks like I have traded 10MB/s and 4G for it...
any chance some OTA will fix this? I know the TBOLT has its 4g antenna in the case, perhaps the antenna on the bionic is rather small?

OP
D

drocksmash

Reaction score
i have confirmed this with 2 bionics now, has anyone gone from tbolt to bionic and noticed the drop in 4g?

GohanBurner

Reaction score
Its a new network and it really depends on where you are. You're work might just be close to the edge of the network or something. I live in Waukesha, WI and the 4G tower (as far as I know) is in Milwaukee, WI about a 25 minute drive if speeding a little...I get around 1-2 bars sometimes 3 and my highest download speed in Kb/s was over 2,000. Its not sub-par be any means, you must just be in a bad position.

EDIT: You can try turning the phone into Airplane mode and then turning it off, that might restore the connection. It does for me sometimes.

OP
D

drocksmash

Reaction score
Tried that.

I am in one of the most saturated 4g areas, never once saw my tbolt go to 3g - seems like the bionic goes to 3g often

i am convinced the antennae is just bigger or better in the tbolt....only explanation

ryee

Reaction score
Argh..i too an having this issue. Moves between 3g and 4g constantly.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
D

drocksmash

Reaction score
Its a new network and it really depends on where you are. You're work might just be close to the edge of the network or something. I live in Waukesha, WI and the 4G tower (as far as I know) is in Milwaukee, WI about a 25 minute drive if speeding a little...I get around 1-2 bars sometimes 3 and my highest download speed in Kb/s was over 2,000. Its not sub-par be any means, you must just be in a bad position.

EDIT: You can try turning the phone into Airplane mode and then turning it off, that might restore the connection. It does for me sometimes.

2000kb????? even on 3g i get more than that the real isdue here is thst now tether i lose internetn when sending and recieving text messages becsuse veriozons network....never had this problem with tbolt