4g/3g Toggle Hack

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
The HTC Thunderbolt is one of the first 4G LTE phones available on the Verizon Wireless network and, as we've seen in our review, its download speeds are superfast. However, as users are starting to note, you'll pay for that speed with abysmal battery life. This is even more frustrating for users who operate in areas where 4G hasn't yet been rolled out. Unfortunately, it would seem that there is no obvious way to toggle between the Thunderbolt's juice-sapping 4G mode and its more battery-friendly 3G antenna. There is, however, a hidden menu that will let you do just that.
From your Thunderbolt's dialer, key in "*#*#4636#*#*" and you'll be taken to a hidden test menu that features an array of secret options and statistics for your handset. Tap the first heading labeled "Phone Information" and scroll to a drop-down menu labeled "Set preferred network type." Here is where you'll be able to select how your phone connects to Verizon's network.
The default setting is "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto," which allows your handset's software to automatically decide between the 3G and 4G antennas for the best possible speed. If you want to stretch your battery, then you can select the "CDMA auto (PRL)" option from this menu to lock your phone into 3G mode. Anecdotal reports from around the Web report upwards of a four-fold increase in battery life for the Thunderbolt with 4G disabled. Depending on your usage, that could mean the difference in making it through the day on a charge and being saddled with a dead battery.

When you're ready to go back to 4G speeds (and battery life), simply repeat the process and reselect the "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto" option from the drop-down menu. The Testing menu is also home to much more interesting information about your handset, including detailed battery information, extended battery history, and an extended processor usage log that shows what apps are using the most resources.

snap20110323_142748%28scaled%29.png

captclam

Reaction score
be careful with this

I have done this and it improves battery life. If can kill your ability to receive calls to if you pick 3g. The problem seems to be that when I switch back; LTE only stays active for a few mins. I tried pulling the. Battery, etc. No luck. I am guessing this somehow screws something up. any ideas? *228 no longer works either. Just dials and disconnects.

dbu

Reaction score
There is an easier way to do this:

1. Download AnyCut from the market
2. Open up app drawer and select AnyCut
3. Select new shortcut
4. Select activity
5. Scroll all the way down until you see Phone Info
6. You can rename the shortcut if you wish, or leave it, then hit enter
7. This will create an icon called Phone Info, or whatever you named it and bam, your in without having to do the *#*#4636#*#*

dbu

Reaction score
I have done this and it improves battery life. If can kill your ability to receive calls to if you pick 3g. The problem seems to be that when I switch back; LTE only stays active for a few mins. I tried pulling the. Battery, etc. No luck. I am guessing this somehow screws something up. any ideas? *228 no longer works either. Just dials and disconnects.

DO NOT DO *228 that will fry you SimCard

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anyone else try/confirm this?? Sounds great but concerned about the above comment about making/receiving calls???

That would explain why a simple switch was left out of the release ROM.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is an easier way to do this:

1. Download AnyCut from the market
2. Open up app drawer and select AnyCut
3. Select new shortcut
4. Select activity
5. Scroll all the way down until you see Phone Info
6. You can rename the shortcut if you wish, or leave it, then hit enter
7. This will create an icon called Phone Info, or whatever you named it and bam, your in without having to do the *#*#4636#*#*

Also if you have LauncherPro you can create an 'Activity' that will do it also. Scroll to "settings" and Phone Info is near the bottom of the list (I have it set as a 'swipe gesture' on one of my docked icons, just waiting to confirm others can switch back and forth w/o problems, I need this phone for work so can't afford to not be able to receive calls).

mkjellgren

Reaction score
This is old news. There are SO many threads on this already. The easiest way is to just download the phone info app which brings you to the same testing menu as dialing *#*#4363#*#*. And yes, it does work. Simply select cmda auto (prl) to disable 4g. And no, you won't miss calls. That only happens when you select evdo only.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Last edited:

dvation

Reaction score
The problem seems to be that when I switch back; LTE only stays active for a few mins. I tried pulling the. Battery, etc. No luck. I am guessing this somehow screws something up.

I just noticed this happened to me today too. I enabled this toggle yesterday and I was in an area that I know has 4g - it went to 4g for a minute then switched back to 3g. I didn't think much of it until I read this. I'm wondering if I shouldn't have tried to toggle the radio now...

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
This is old news. There are SO many threads on this already. The easiest way is to just download the phone info app which brings you to the same testing menu as dialing *#*#4363#*#*. And yes, it does work. Simply select cmda auto (prl) to disable 4g. And no, you won't miss calls. That only happens when you select evdo only.

Sent from my ADR6400L
it might be old but since I didn't see a thread on it I thought id post it here for the community :)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

mkjellgren

Reaction score
The problem seems to be that when I switch back; LTE only stays active for a few mins. I tried pulling the. Battery, etc. No luck. I am guessing this somehow screws something up.

I just noticed this happened to me today too. I enabled this toggle yesterday and I was in an area that I know has 4g - it went to 4g for a minute then switched back to 3g. I didn't think much of it until I read this. I'm wondering if I shouldn't have tried to toggle the radio now...

There was a well documented nationwide 4g outage today...I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Sent from my ADR6400L

vzdroid13

Reaction score
Good, so I'm not the only one who lost data connection today. I was about to freak out.

sent from my Thunderbolt