3G Radio

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Whenever I was on 3g I had the exact same amount of bars as I did on 4g, if not better.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else thinks the 3G radio on the Nexus is horrible?

Referencing this thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ga...196044-radio-hybrid-4-0-3-lte-4-0-2-cdma.html about the hybrid 4g/3g radio..

Is it just me? or is 3g on this phone horrible?

I'm wondering if its just my phone..

I don't want to have to flash this if I don't have too..

On mine it seems that the 3G meter is bad but the actual signal is fine. By that I mean that have not had connectivity issues or slow downloads. Even though I may have less "bars" or higher number (actually more negative) in the dBm readings I am still able to do everything I was able to do on my Droid1 and Bionic.

All that said, I did flash the new radio/combination listed in your link and it's been doing fine today. 3G signal seems to be about the same and the 4G to 3G hand-off "seems" better (placebo effect/wishful thinking???).

Good luck

OP
B

bsmith0731

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments...

I am running codename android, and I've tried to running speed tests on 3g and they are just CRAPPY.

under 1000 every time... Is Verizon 3g really that bad? I'm coming from a blackberry so i didn't get a chance to experience the speed tests before I got this

WookieClaws

Reaction score
On 3g I was seeing well under 1mb download speeds on my Droid X2, and I see similar speeds when my Nexus is on 3g.

I was switching back and forth between 3g and 4g but battery drain for me isn't that much more on 4g, so I've been leaving it on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
B

bsmith0731

Reaction score
So 3g on verizon just sucks...

think i was able to get 2 or 3 thousand with AT&ts 3g...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

3g speeds aren't very impressive on Verizon. I believe this has to do with the fact that it's a cdma signal, but I read about that long time ago so not sure if I'm remembering correctly. However with a Nexus, why even bother with 3g:p

WookieClaws

Reaction score

I came to VZW from T-Mobile, and I went through data withdrawal for sure. I was used to 5-7mb down consistently.... But only in the metro areas.

Now that I have the Nexus, 4g rocks 13mb down easy and I've gotten as high as 30mb down. So no more withdrawal, lol

But yeah, 3g speeds aren't that impressive. However the only time I really felt it was slow was when I was trying to download something or watch Netflix. It wasn't horrible though, and web browsing works well on 3g too.

OP
B

bsmith0731

Reaction score
I came to VZW from T-Mobile, and I went through data withdrawal for sure. I was used to 5-7mb down consistently.... But only in the metro areas.

Now that I have the Nexus, 4g rocks 13mb down easy and I've gotten as high as 30mb down. So no more withdrawal, lol

But yeah, 3g speeds aren't that impressive. However the only time I really felt it was slow was when I was trying to download something or watch Netflix. It wasn't horrible though, and web browsing works well on 3g too.

Well I'd love to stay on 4g all day. But I drive a bus and use my wifi tether for my passengers. So 4g isn't everywhere.