3 icon tray not disappearing!

geeksaur

Reaction score
You know the 3 icons on the X: phone/menu/contacts that usually disappears when you start scrolling home screens? Well that was working for me- but now it has suddenly stopped. I didn't install any malicious app and I tried restarting. Anyone have the same problem or a solution? I would appreciate it. Thanks!

The Rick

Reaction score
I had no luck in getting that to go back to the "stock" way. I ended up going with launcherpro and just ignoring it

CallMeBalls

Reaction score
I have also just noticed that problem within the last two days. Anyone know why this is happening? I like the stock home screens and do not want to run Launcher Pro or ADW.

BioVader

Reaction score
Ok I've also have this problem. Didn't even notice it until I had my X by my buddies. So after reading this thread I did a factory reset, cleaned my SD card and it fixed the problem. Well then after reinstalling all my apps everything seems to be going fine.

Later that night after driving home I went to turn on the alarm and noticed it was locked up again. This was right after installing the last minute app I forgot. Well wouldn't you know it was locked again and not dropping when I scrolled to different screens.

So this morning I went through the hassle of do another factory reset. Again fixing the problem. Installed the suspected app and it was still working fine. Drive back to my buddies to find that it was locked up yet again.

Both times this has happened it been after being in the car dock. Any thoughts...

BioVader

Reaction score
OK so it wasn't the dock.. Happened today again but this time after pulling the battery and Sd card and putting it back together it was working again.. Humm..

ecfiffer

Reaction score
sounds like something in the OS (laucher more) is freaking out. why not try laucher pro or ADW?

BioVader

Reaction score
Yeah I purchased launcher pro plus but having already gotten use to the widgets that come stock on the x, L pro just doesn't do it for me right now. And the contact pictures don't work with the
program. But I'm sure they will get it fixed at some point.

HallertauRogue

Reaction score
I'm having similar issues. The 3 icons don't disappear AND on occasion the 2 in the corners (phone and Contacts) are unresponsive when I click on them.

If I kill all running processes or turn off the phone, the unresponsive icons work again, but I still get the icons not hiding.

K

krysta207

I am also having this problem. I've had it almost since day one of getting my droid x. I've tried factory rebooting and everything works fine until I start downloading apps. I thought I had it figured out and that advanced task killer was the app causing the problem so I didnt redownload that app after a factory reboot and my phone was working good so I thought I fixed it but then the tray problem happened again after just turning my phone off and back on one day. Then I decided that anytime I downloaded apps that eventually this problem would happen.

So finally I put it in safe mode because I read that if you put your phone in safe mode and the problem isnt existant then you know its a 3rd party app causing the problem. (put the phone in safe mode by turning off the phone then turning it back on while holding the menu button down the entire time the phone reboots). In safe mode my problem was fixed. So I deleted newly downloaded apps and restarted the phone and the problem was fixed. Well now today I downloaded some new apps and it happened today. Put it in safe mode and the phone was fine. Deleted the apps and restarted the phone exactly like I did yesterday and the problem did not fix itself this time. So now I have no idea whats wrong. I really do think that its an os problem and hopefully it will be addressed and fixed in froyo. Not happy about this. If anyone has any other suggestions let me know.

HallertauRogue

Reaction score
Like Krysta, I've done some testing since this started on my phone last Friday. I have been issue free since Saturday morning (4 days). I began by doing a factory reset. I then carefully added apps back, leaving out my suspected ones.

I believe the issue for me was one (or both) of the task killers I had tried. One was Advanced Task Killer and the other was task panel. I had the issue while I tested both (independently installed from one another). All I know is that I have every other app installed on my phone from before the issue started...except the task killers.

Even if you have reset your phone and NOT installed a task killer, there very well may be another app that is causing this for you. This seems like a weakness in the moto-tweaked OS that several apps aren't playing well with. Remember, what is crashing for us is moto-specific and unique to the X. App developers may not have full caught up to this...yet.

I would recommend you reset your phone (again) and very slowly add apps back. I'm more than happy to share what I have installed that ISN'T crashing the icon tray. Here goes:

Astrid Tasks
Barcode Scanner (although i haven't used it since I installed it)
Calorie Counter
Color Flashlight
ConvertPad
Documents to Go (trial and full version)
ES File Explorer
Evernote
Google Sky
IMDb
Jewels
Mahjong
Movies
Multicon
Nesoid Lite
opera Mini
Pandora
Places Directory
realCalc
SNesoid Lite
Voice Recorder
WordPress

If this doesn't help, perhaps we should share any widgets we are/were running.

K

krysta207

To verify your list...I agree with you on these apps since I have downloaded them also and I don't think they are causing the problem.

astrid tasks
convertpad
google sky
imdb
movies
realcalc

I also think these ones are good too. But if anyone disagrees let me know.

tv guide
tip calculator
trapster
tideapp
weather channel
shopsavvy
ringdroid
greader
goggles
dictionary

If anyone else has done some testing on apps post them on here so we can get a good list going of good/bad apps.

Bad definitely includes ADVANCED TASK KILLER!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Well I don't have very many apps on my phone, but one I do have is ATK and have not had the issue yet. I also have
Nesnoid
Snesnoid
Root Explorer
Wii Controller
Paper Toss

HallertauRogue

Reaction score
If we are going to list apps we know aren't causing this, we probably should also add if the app has a widget you are using as well.

Krysta: From your list I do see another app that I HAD on my phone when the issue started and I haven't put it back on. That is The Weather Channel app and yes, i was using the widget. In fact, my issue started shortly after installing that. I'm not pointing the finger yet, but it might be something you want to test.

Sydman: Have you had the issue at all?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Negative never had the issue, my three icons go away and come back just fine.