3.5 headset jack malfunction

motodroid1

Reaction score
my moto droid as you all know has a 3.5 headset jack but when i plug in any headset even a set of bose the left earpiece will crackle when listing to music with the volume all the way up iv return to verizon and recevieved a new phone but im still experiencing the same problem is any one else with this problem or is it just me any suggestion for fix is appercaited

OP
M

motodroid1

Reaction score
yea i guess your right but why would it only be in the left earpiece and not both wouldnt both distort if this was so

suzukimethod

Reaction score
that i do not know (and i dont really know the other thing i said).

there may be a technical explanation....but isnt max volume a little loud for headphones anyway? (This is coming from someone who has permanent hearing loss from exposure to loud music)

OP
M

motodroid1

Reaction score
its probly not the best idea but it seem to be a defect with the phone

Droidboi

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my Droid and using certain headsets. I own a few different models of headsets I use with my motor Droid and it seems that the male plug for my Phillips set is wider and never makes the distorted crackling sound like my other two sets do. I'm thinking its just the headset Jack on moto droids in general with certain headsets.

FuzzyBeard

Reaction score
I had problems with mine on my last motorcycle trip streaming music to my speakers. I finally stopped and got some contact cleaner and hosed it out with the phone powered down. I then proceeded to "freak out" when all that cleaner was dripping on the exterior finish of the phone and wiped it down fast. It didn't harm my phone and the jack started working better, but I am still nervous about doing it again....I've seen contact cleaner eat through paint.

Last edited:

Zippster

Reaction score
I was getting regular distortion when plugging my Droid into my trucks stereo AUX port, I found setting the media output to about no more then 3/4 got rid of it and sounded great.

tsitalon1

Reaction score
This was something I saw with 2.01 but I haven't seen this in 2.1.

Are you on 2.1?

Mine does not does this anymore, but I am on cyanogenmod 5.0.6.2 :)

Droidboi

Reaction score
This was something I saw with 2.01 but I haven't seen this in 2.1.

Are you on 2.1?

Mine does not does this anymore, but I am on cyanogenmod 5.0.6.2 :)

Yeah I'm running 2.1. Ill have to maybe look into cleaning the contacts the phone spends a good amount of time in my pocket so lint could be causing it to not have a good contact point.