2010 - The year of Android Tablets

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MRCni.jpg

2010 marked the bloom of consumer awareness for mobile tablet computing devices, jump starting with the Apple iPad in April. Despite Google's recommendation against the implementation of even the newest version of Android (at the time, Android 2.2) for tablet computing devices, 2010 was an eventful year for the growing and immature operating system for tablets on Android.

From May, the Android tablet market started to take off with a pattern of mediocrity in the form of the Eken M001, followed by a generic 7" iPad clone with Android 1.5 on Rockchip RK2808, and the 7" white Pandigital Novel. These devices arguably have less performance than the first-generation HTC Dream/T-Mobile G1 if it were used as a wifi-only device. This is, of course, less than stellar.

The Dell Streak launched as a 5" Android tablet, but is really more of an enlarged phone than a tablet at this size and also with the chipset it uses. The price was similar to similarily specified Android phones.

Continue Reading @ 2010 Android Tablet Market - Year in Review
By: xaueious

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
"From May, the Android tablet market started to take off with a pattern of mediocrity"

I would hardly call 2010 "the year of Android Tablets." There were maybe two or three models from last year that are worth anything and even those will be (or rather are) crap compared to what will be available in the first quarter of this year alone. NONE of last years models are anything other than a 'large phone that can't make calls' and only 1 had the actual Android market (tablets aren't much good w/o apps to run on them) . Not only will we see MORE tablets this year hopefully Google will get off their arses and actually bring good tablet support/features to the OS to make them worth the money (yes I know the next OS is supposed to have tablet support but that doesn't really mean much until we actually see it). IF Google does get it together than 2011 will be the year of the Android Tablet.

ruthless101901

Reaction score
KZI, I agree. 2010 seemed more like a test launch, while 2011 shows much more promise in the tablet arena.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

markwebb

Reaction score
Yeah, IMHO, 2010 is not the year of the Android tablet. Maybe 2011 will be....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with everyone else. Android Tablets just got started that year. 2010 was the year of the iPad. It was also the year that Android phones took a huge leap in popularity.

masiv

Reaction score
Year of the tablet? Yeah right. That's why they are dropping the price on the Galaxy tab already and offering refunds of the difference for people who have already purchased them. 2010 was definitely the year of the Android Phone

TheHunterOfShadows

Reaction score
Yep and it was also the year of the linux desktop ...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App