20% of Android apps can get personal data?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I'm not worried at all....

taeratrin

Reaction score
Just as with a computer, don't go out and install everything because you can. Also, reading reviews and paying attention to what the installer says the program is going to access helps to protect you. Why would a flashlight app need to access your call logs?

Darkseider

Reaction score
This report coming from a company wanting to sell you anti-spyware and ant-malware? LOL! Nothing like pushing FUD down peoples throats to sell your products on a device.

SMobile, Mobile Security Software for smartphones and other mobile devices. Exclusive BlackBerry Antivirus Provider

The purveyors of FUD and snake oil. Gotta love it! Instill some fear and doubt and sell your crapware to the masses. Business as usual. What makes me laugh even more is that Computer World is even covering this as a story. It should be calling them out for trying to drum up business by preying on consumers fear. What a joke of a report and an even bigger joke by Computer World for reporting this as a news story.

Not to mention that the ass clown of a blogger that wrote this heap of crap is a self proclaimed "Apple Holic" if you look at his description. Seriously this is crap to the nTH degree.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't install much, but now I wonder about some of the apps I do have...
You should have been wondering at install time when the warnings popped up.

Also, as always, consider the source of the article.

Darkseider

Reaction score
For $29.95 a year SMobile can offer our services to protect you! Read the scary report and buy our product or your Android phone will kidnap your puppy and text your momma the ransom demands! What a joke. This is what it has come down to? I already sent SMobile a nasty gram being more or less my sledge hammer self.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
This report coming from a company wanting to sell you anti-spyware and ant-malware? LOL! Nothing like pushing FUD down peoples throats to sell your products on a device.

SMobile, Mobile Security Software for smartphones and other mobile devices. Exclusive BlackBerry Antivirus Provider

The purveyors of FUD and snake oil. Gotta love it! Instill some fear and doubt and sell your crapware to the masses. Business as usual. What makes me laugh even more is that Computer World is even covering this as a story. It should be calling them out for trying to drum up business by preying on consumers fear. What a joke of a report and an even bigger joke by Computer World for reporting this as a news story.

Not to mention that the ass clown of a blogger that wrote this heap of crap is a self proclaimed "Apple Holic" if you look at his description
. Seriously this is crap to the nTH degree.

Yea, I'm kinda surprised at Computer World too...It is the blogs tho. I dont think I would see this in the print edition. I hope I wouldnt...

I guess u could say the same about Linux desktop OS too huh....but dont u need root access for any app to do any harm? I'm new to Android so I dont really know.

Just as with a computer, don't go out and install everything because you can. Also, reading reviews and paying attention to what the installer says the program is going to access helps to protect you. Why would a flashlight app need to access your call logs?

I second this.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree. It's a sad piece of tabloid "journalism" (?). Unfortunately, it's a ridiculous article about a real issue. The problem is not that a hacker might send text messages from your Verizon account. Even if it's possible, it's an insignificant problem.

A much more significant problem is voluntarily turning over information to a third party under the guise of "signing up" for a service associated with an application.