Is the Droid a Data-based or App-based Mobile OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saobi

Reaction score
Does Android have all of my data feeds represented in one unified view: email, messaging, voice mail, facebook, twitter, blog? Or do I have to go to separate apps to check each feed? Of course, seemingly, I can get updates on the notification bar, but that's a "hack" to bring all notifications to your home screen, it's not an organic part of the OS.

A real data-based mobile OS has this "unified view" concept built as an organic and innate part of the OS, and requires not external apps or widgets for it. For example, a phone like this: elegant, unified, graceful:

WindowsPhone7Series.png

The future is data-based, not app-based. On this front, Android is already one generation behind. It's game over, go take a shower and go to bed guys.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Well the picture you posted doesn't even exist yet so the game isn't really over yet. That's OS (Windows Phone OS7 or whatever it's called) isn't due until near the end of this year.....

We'll have to wait and see if game is over then....can't call it now as you are basing your predictions over something that isn't even available.

nphil

Reaction score
So how exactly is what you showed above any better than Android homescreen widgets? Some people a clean customizable homescreen without all the "social" crap. We know nothing about WP7 at this moment, so I'm reserving my judgment until it's actually out.

Also, when WP7 comes out, you can bet it won't be as customizable as Android. Microsoft seems to be going the iPhone OS way, which pains me after all the good times I had modding WM5/6.x based handsets.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
A real data-based mobile OS has this "unified view" concept built as an organic and innate part of the OS

Says who, you?

A real data based mobile OS is where your data is local AND in the cloud. Just in the cloud would be more data centric, but also riskier.

In this respect, Android kicks the sh*t out of other OSes, that are just now getting to the point of copying Android (MS myphone, anybody?).

natty_lite

Reaction score
A real data-based mobile OS has this "unified view" concept built as an organic and innate part of the OS

Says who, you?

A real data based mobile OS is where your data is local AND in the cloud. Just in the cloud would be more data centric, but also riskier.

In this respect, Android kicks the sh*t out of other OSes, that are just now getting to the point of copying Android (MS myphone, anybody?).

I con-friggin-cur.

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Does Android have all of my data feeds represented in one unified view: email, messaging, voice mail, facebook, twitter, blog? Or do I have to go to separate apps to check each feed? Of course, seemingly, I can get updates on the notification bar, but that's a "hack" to bring all notifications to your home screen, it's not an organic part of the OS.

A real data-based mobile OS has this "unified view" concept built as an organic and innate part of the OS, and requires not external apps or widgets for it. For example, a phone like this: elegant, unified, graceful:

The future is data-based, not app-based. On this front, Android is already one generation behind. It's game over, go take a shower and go to bed guys.

I smell a smelly troll that smells... smelly.

I don't want to see all of that stuff at once. I want to see what I define as important all at once. Perhaps I want to see my processor's speed on an overclocked rom, or perhaps I want to see the amount of memory free on my phone. Perhaps I don't use twitter, I don't use SMS, I don't give a darn about anything that 99% of my Facebook friends are doing, I don't blog/read many blogs that I have to instantly see the latest update on, I don't call many people, and many people don't call and leave me voice mails in return, and I don't want a bunch of spam emails showing up on the main screen of my phone. What then?

What if I don't want to see all of that stuff at once? What if I'm someone who can stop and take two and a half seconds to click a widget or an icon and wait for the corresponding application to load and display the requested data, rather than it constantly sitting there as one giant eyesore? What if I enjoy things like backgrounds, live wallpapers, and things of that nature, and want to see more of those and less of something else?

Or what if I'm someone who still feels that a phone's primary purpose is to make phone calls, and with that being the case, want the main screen of my phone to have an icon to tap to make phone calls, and nothing more? What then?

And as others have pointed out, you can get all sorts of widgets to display the same thing as that WP7 demo screen is displaying. And you even get more information at once than that.

Perhaps most important here, with Android, I can make my home screen look exactly as I want it to. Windows Phone 7? Looks like you're pretty well restricted to those squares and rectangles. Real stylish... I suppose if you're into the whole conformity thing, and want to have a phone that looks exactly like every other phone of the same type, much like the iPhone, then go ahead.

My Android device can tell me exactly what I want to know exactly when I want to know it in exactly the style that I want it presented to me. We've got custom molds, you've got LEGOs.

Take a sleeping pill, and go for a swim, troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.