2 Questions - Receiving pics/Screen Protector

altjx

Reaction score
Okay, I have 2 questions. My first question is that why when I receive a picture taken, it receives it as a video and it has a play button? Wtf is that? I can't even save it or anything, just play it like a video. I just took a picture with someone's iPhone and sent it to my droid, and it came as a video. And yes, it's a PICTURE, I did NOT take a video.

Second question, anyone have a video of how to correctly put on a screen protector? I just got my droid a few days ago and even the Verizon guy didn't put it on right. It has bubbles in it for some reason. So I took it off and put a new one on and it's doing the same thing. You can see the bubble in the left and right corner, and mostly around the edges of the screen. I do have a case over it too.

MissEvoIXMR

Reaction score
Haven't had the picture issue.... screen protector is a question for me too.I seen that YouTube video of some guy trying to scratch his Droid screen with keys and fail LOL guess the screen is pretty tough.. im afraid of a screen protector might mess with the screen sensitivity. Any feed back of someone with one have any idea?? I don't want air bubbles either :/

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
yeah lol. so far i dont think my screen did anything to the sensitivity, it still seems sharp but i havent used it without the protector either, lol. but as the picture thing, its weird, i always thought these people had sent me videos and im like why are u sending me a video? 5 secs long? they think im crazy, its the phone, lol.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
people are saying screen protectors arent even needed cause the screen is glass and scratch proof.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
No picture issues here and Droid is naked as a jaybird!

MissEvoIXMR

Reaction score
I have been screen protector free I had one on my storm and hated the air bubbles! I seen that video on YouTube and the guy scratched the framing around the phone while trying to scratching the screen... LOL its funny but definitely showed me my phone is pretty much scratch free as keys are the only other thing I have in my hand besides my phone...

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
no picture issues? when someone send u a picture, how does it look in ur text message? mines show a "Play" button more like a ">" for play. this happened from someone with boost mobile and from an iPhone

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
no picture issues? when someone send u a picture, how does it look in ur text message? mines show a "Play" button more like a ">" for play. this happened from someone with boost mobile and from an iPhone

Well, It shows a Picture....

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
wtf? that's weird. i wonder why it shows a Play button in the SMS for me...

Pancake

Reaction score
Guy at the store put a screen protector on mine. He was very good at doing it; I'll put some basic ideas of how to put one on at the end of this post.

As far as screen sensitivity, absolutely no difference between having one on and having it off. I played with one extensively without a protector before I bought it, and noticed no difference after. As far as the usefulness of the protector, my buddy's droid's screen gets smudged easier than mine. The screen may be unscratchable, but it seems to be easier to clean with a protector on. And, call me paranoid, but I plan to have the phone for a long time and would rather go with too much protection rather than not enough.

Placing the protector:

The guy gave me some instructions on how to replace it myself (though it's been a month, no real need to). When he did it, he spent a few full minutes cleaning off the screen. Even a tiny dust particle can cause some of those bubbles. Make sure it's completely clean.

Take off any cases you have to get the flattest surface possible to work with. Get a perfectly flat credit card, and slowly press the protector onto the screen. Make sure to line it up as closely as possible; restart it if you make a mistake partway through.

The essential part is applying equal pressure all the way across the screen with the card. And making sure the screen is clean first. Maybe get someone to hold the phone so you can get pressure all the way across the card.

It seems to be a crappy process. If everyone gets along fine without a protector, I probably won't bother re-applying mine.

dtrust

Reaction score
The most important thing about putting on screen protectors is that the screen is CLEAN. ANY small dust particle is a potential bubble.

Pancake gave good instructions. I would only add/change 2 things....

One, instead of a credit card, use a microfiber cloth to smooth out the screen protector. You can apply more localized pressure with the cloth, and it won't scratch the protector.

Two, and this will help bunches, do it in a bathroom after running the hot water in the shower or sink for a few minutes. Wait until the steam fills the bathroom, turn off the water, then wait a few minutes more until the steam dissapates a bit. This eliminates most of the dust in the air. (If you've ever seen the dust in the air, like when sunlight is streaming in thru a window, you know how huge a problem this is.)

If you get a small bubble, the microfiber cloth allows you to put a pretty decent amount of pressue on the screen without scratching the protector. When I put mine on, I had a small bubble right in the middle of the screen. Took me 5 minutes of pushing and rubbing to get it over to the edge and out.

If you get a bubble like I did, keep at it, pushing it over to the edge. All is not lost if you get one. It just takes patience and determination to get them out. My protector (the Verizon ones) was finally completely bubble free.

Good luck

gtracerh

Reaction score
about the whole picture "play" issue...I noticed that you get that play button when somebody sends a picture as a slideshow. if you send the picture simply as an attached file, the play button will not come up. send yourself a slideshow (with one slide of a pic, the other slide of text) and then send yourself a picture alone. You'll see the difference. I think that's what the original poster was referring to.

Pancake

Reaction score
How are the Verizon screen protectors?

It's hard to say, because chances are most people either are used to not having them, or used to having them, 100% of the time.

I've had mine on since I got it, and I don't mind it at all. I have nothing to contrast it to, of course, since I've not given much work to my phone without a cover. A better evaluation would probably be given by someone who switched.

Overall the phone looks fine with a protector. It's very easy to clean smudges off, and most of the time doesn't even smudge in the first place. And it has yet to even begin to peel off; I've had the phone over a month now.