2.3.4 Firmware Update

Rhayader

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know I read in one of these threads somewhere that there is a way for rooted users to disable OTA updates from within the stock ROM. I believe it involved changing the extension of a certain file to .bak, but I don't remember exactly and I can't find the post again for the life of me. Anybody know how to do that?

I don't want an update, because I love me some root. But there might be times that I want to use the stock ROM, like for MLB At Bat which will only stream video on stock. But the last thing I want is to have the OTA shoved at me.

Sent from the Planet Express ship using the Fing-Longer.

Card

Reaction score
Saw the OTA update, and didn't even think to check on here what the update entails. Oh well, looks like no root for my phone, at least for now. :(

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know I read in one of these threads somewhere that there is a way for rooted users to disable OTA updates from within the stock ROM. I believe it involved changing the extension of a certain file to .bak, but I don't remember exactly and I can't find the post again for the life of me. Anybody know how to do that?

I don't want an update, because I love me some root. But there might be times that I want to use the stock ROM, like for MLB At Bat which will only stream video on stock. But the last thing I want is to have the OTA shoved at me.

From http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1269336&highlight=renaming+OTA&page=2

otacerts.zip (rename it .bak)
com.smithmicro.dm (freeze it)

Not sure about the second one...

Copied&paste from xda hope it came out right

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

Rhayader

Reaction score
Yeah that was it, perfect thanks dude.

shinokodomo13

Reaction score
Is it possible that being on 2.3.3 was messing up my signal sense it needed updated? Cause I took my phone to Verizon they couldn't fix the signal & I had to get a replacement phone.

Sent from my Droid inc. 2

nikecar

Reaction score
I got it a few nights ago. I just noticed the new market. I will say my battery is much better. During the week by the time I'd put it in the charger, it would be 18hrs and usually under 30%. The last two times its been between 18-19 hrs and both times at 51%. One day my voice calls was on par with my display as I made numerous calls. So ill see how this holds up

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

Navy_RN

Reaction score
So whenever I try to download one of the radio zips from xda, it is taking me to a "403-Forbidden" page. I also tried right click->save as. Opened with winzip and it says "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged"

ABQNM

Reaction score
hey thanks man. I see you got better signal quality on .0722. I am hoping I get the same results.

Any idea if it helps on the stock ROM or just MIUI?

You're welcome. Yeah the radio will work regardless of rom. As for signal, I saw increased signal in areas where the dinc2 was about 20dbm lower than the Droid X right next to it. For some reason in crappy areas 622 was about the same as the Droid X and no change in crappy areas with 722. Oh well it helps some and it helped me.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.

nikecar

Reaction score
I have joined the legions of those with issues. While it worked after gingerbread, the 2.3.4 update killed my clocks app to get to the alarm, timer, stopwatch etc.

While I love my battery life now these apps were useful.

ABQNM

Reaction score
I have joined the legions of those with issues. While it worked after gingerbread, the 2.3.4 update killed my clocks app to get to the alarm, timer, stopwatch etc.

While I love my battery life now these apps were useful.

Those were the same issues popping up for those who upgraded from froyo to gb. Iirc the only solution for that is, unfortunately, a factory reset.

nikecar

Reaction score
Those were the same issues popping up for those who upgraded from froyo to gb. Iirc the only solution for that is, unfortunately, a factory reset.

I'm not reseting for that though. I'll deal with it.

ABQNM

Reaction score
I'm not reseting for that though. I'll deal with it.

I recommend Alarm Klock from the market. It's free and works flawlessly. Never failed to go off plus it has the slide to dismiss like the Moto Blur alarm and it makes it hard to accidentally dismiss when trying to snooze. The interface is basic but the app rocks. You can even set it to gradually increase volume from x% to x% over x seconds. I recommend it. Then you don't have to worry about a factory reset right now.