2.3.4 Firmware Update

estafusisx

Reaction score
Thanks, one other question. If rooted with stock ROM, will accepting the OTA hose up my phone other than maybe losing root? What other bad things can or will happen? I'm not ready to start playing with custom ROMs on this phone yet and just wanted to root to freeze bloatware. Doing that didn't really speed up the phone much. Starting to think it's not so bad to not be rooted at this time. :)

You will probably just lose root and if your fine with that and not comfortable flashing the new radio and disabling the update checker, then by all means update. Just remember there's a good chance you won't get root back for a while.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using DroidForums

ABQNM

Reaction score
You will probably just lose root and if your fine with that and not comfortable flashing the new radio and disabling the update checker, then by all means update. Just remember there's a good chance you won't get root back for a while.

As long as it does not overwrite the patched hboot with the new one, you should still retain s-off. If you have s-off, then root is easy, as it is just as simple as flashing CWM and then flashing superuser from CWM.

limujin

Reaction score
I got it but it screwed up my phone. On reboot there was a triangle with an exclamation inside it with the little android character standing beside it.

I'm getting the same issue. Can somebody explain how to bypass this or fix it or re-flash it or whatever? I'm a n00b at this stuff.. my Incredible 2 is rooted but all I did was get S-OFF so I could delete apps. I don't have a custom ROM or anything..

Also, when I take out the battery, put it back in and restart my phone.. it'll boot up fine but then after a few seconds of being on the home screen, my phone automatically powers off and then tries to install the new firmware but then that triangle pops up again..

THANKS!

estafusisx

Reaction score
I'm getting the same issue. Can somebody explain how to bypass this or fix it or re-flash it or whatever? I'm a n00b at this stuff.. my Incredible 2 is rooted but all I did was get S-OFF so I could delete apps. I don't have a custom ROM or anything..

Also, when I take out the battery, put it back in and restart my phone.. it'll boot up fine but then after a few seconds of being on the home screen, my phone automatically powers off and then tries to install the new firmware but then that triangle pops up again..

Trying the power + volume down option doesn't seem to load me into recovery mode either...

THANKS!

I never tried to take an ota update since over a year ago when i first rooted my D1 but i think people have problems with OTA's if they delete an app (as opposed to freezing) so if you actually deleted some system apps you may need to install those system apps again before you update.

Reaction score
Well, I accepted the update, but I believe that something in my root or s-off rejected it. Still shows 2.3.3. It downloaded for a while, then made a notification beep. Phone looked normal but was still 2.3.3. It appears I still have root.

ABQNM

Reaction score
Well, I accepted the update, but I believe that something in my root or s-off rejected it. Still shows 2.3.3. It downloaded for a while, then made a notification beep. Phone looked normal but was still 2.3.3. It appears I still have root.

Did you freeze any bloat or apps? They all need to be intact for the update to take.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.

WeedR

Reaction score
I'm stock rooted and trying to update with the newest update. I don't mind if it gets rid of root, but I did a factory reset and now everytime I go to pull the update it doesn't do anything. Does anyone have any ideas? It doesn't even say anything. It says "Checking for new software" and then does nothing, it just goes away.

Reaction score
Yeah, I froze a bunch of stuff. Guess I'll try to unfreeze it and maybe see what this update does to my root. Quick question, I came from a rooted OG Droid to this Inc2. S-off seems to be something new to me. What is it in relation to having root? Is it the same? Or is s-off something you need before rooting? I followed the steps for revolutionary on the Inc2 Hacks forum here step by step and it all worked out great, but I guess I don't understand what all happened while doing it, haha. Thanks again!

ABQNM

Reaction score
Yeah, I froze a bunch of stuff. Guess I'll try to unfreeze it and maybe see what this update does to my root. Quick question, I came from a rooted OG Droid to this Inc2. S-off seems to be something new to me. What is it in relation to having root? Is it the same? Or is s-off something you need before rooting? I followed the steps for revolutionary on the Inc2 Hacks forum here step by step and it all worked out great, but I guess I don't understand what all happened while doing it, haha. Thanks again!

S-off completely unlocks mist of the partitions of the phone including the bootloader which is what allows us to install a replacement recovery to flash roms, mods, etc. Root only allows write access to data, system, and cache partitions. The bootloader remains locked and cannot replace the recovery with CWM or the like. On our phones to have permanent root we need s-off.

ABQNM

Reaction score
Okay, that makes sense, thanks. What do I do to see if I have s-off or not? And root?

Download Root Checker free from the market. That will tell you if you have root. If you do, then you also have s-off. If you don't have root you may still have s-off. Power off the phone, hold the volume down key and press and release power and it will boot to the bootloader. At the top it will tell you either s-on or s-off.

If you have s-off but no root, then follow the post on rooting to flash cwm and then superuser for root again. I will try to find the link and post it in a minute.

ABQNM

Reaction score
Go to this link and start at the step for install Clockworkmod Recovery (optional) if you have s-off but no root.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=165794

ABQNM

Reaction score
Just refresh. I edited it 2 seconds after hitting submit.