2.2.2 post update problems

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
My wife and I both have droids (a855). The 2.2.2 update notification came to us about a week ago... wer're not rooted... The update installed on my wife's phone, however for me, the update failed to install. Here is what happened next:

Me: That was the day that I last received any notifications that there were app updates available. Basically after that I never got another notification for anything at all. I waited over 48 hours for the FRG83G update notification after the first failure... (VZW support said I'd get another one... yeah, right) but it never came. I successfully installed manually however after downloading the update.zip from another thread posted by a reputable member. I've now watched as various apps (market->my apps) indicate that there are updates... but I no longer get any notification of any kind on the notification bar at the top of the screen (or whatever you call it). My default ringtone got changed... but I now have four apps waiting in the update queue with nary a notification in sight. I've done battery pulls, reboots, and yes I know about the setting that turns notifications off... it's ON.

My Wife: (she was able to install the thing via ota)
Ringtones scrambled, market->my apps shows NOTHING in the list (it says "no downloads from Android Market"... a LIE). Account sync (email and facebook) went from "on" to "off" (I had to turn them back on!). If I search up one of the apps she has on her phone... (eg. google maps) it says there's an update... but again NO notification ever occurs! The downloaded apps in settings->applications is sure as heck populated with stuff but NOTHING in the market's my apps setting!

I suspect notifications on both our phones are hosed... can anyone give me insight or direction on:

1) any setting I've not been smart enough to find that deals with app update notification... I'm concerned with the basic update mechanism for both Market and the OS...

2) How to get my wife's bleeping downloaded app list to reappear in the my apps market setting...

I'm a bit befuddled by the 'goins on here and really have a wag of the finger to Moto and VZW.... as to how such a tiny little crappy update can wreak so much havoc on a phone... when we've gone thru three major updates (2.1, FRG22 and FRG83D) without a scratch...

Any info is gratefully appreciated!

androidgeek

Reaction score
Try a factory reset first. Power off> power on holding x button> wipe data> wipe cashe> reboot.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

OP
DoctorDeDroid

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
Try a factory reset first. Power off> power on holding x button> wipe data> wipe cashe> reboot.

The menu I have has (after "apply sdcard:update.zip")

"wipe data/factory reset"
"wipe cache partition"
"wipe baseband data"

Should I do both 1 and 2? and then reboot?

androidgeek

Reaction score
Unfortunately yes. Believe me I know the feeling. Always save everything you can to SD and back up every so often. It could be hanging up on app ect. That's not letting the update go through? Sucks I know but may get it functioning again. If it was me that would be my first step.

OP
DoctorDeDroid

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
Unfortunately yes. Believe me I know the feeling. Always save everything you can to SD and back up every so often. It could be hanging up on app ect. That's not letting the update go through? Sucks I know but may get it functioning again. If it was me that would be my first step.

C'est la vie I suppose... however fwiw, my wife's phone still had a stupid task killer installed. I did a force close on it, then I did the same on market and restarted... surprise! the my apps list came back and then she got update notifications too! Well one out of two ain't bad. I uninstalled task manager a long, long time ago... I should have forced it off of hers. Mine, well... who knows. I'll probably have to bite the bullet.... Thanks for your help.

androidgeek

Reaction score
Task killer=BAD! Good luck man. I would suggest root and flashing Pete's 2.3.3. Man it made a world of difference for my d1. Trippled battery life and speed. Loved it, I quit flashing after that. Now I'm rocking a new thunderbolt.

OP
DoctorDeDroid

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
Task killer=BAD! Good luck man. I would suggest root and flashing Pete's 2.3.3. Man it made a world of difference for my d1. Trippled battery life and speed. Loved it, I quit flashing after that. Now I'm rocking a new thunderbolt.

Pete's 2.3.3? Is that the so-called "Bugless Beast"?

androidgeek

Reaction score
Pete also makes bugless beast, yes. But I'm talking about gpa10-gpa14. Those are stock ROMs. There is no customization they're just plain 2.3.3. Check out the low volt kernels for gb if you do. Made my d1 last almost 2 days on a single charge. Plus they are blazing fast roms. It may take some tweeking but once you get everything worked out its well worth it.