2.1 still doesn't fix basic bugs

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
Actually, I think it's you who are misinformed. I've read this parroted statement and laughed. Linux does not somehow magically change the laws of physics. What many of these applications do is create a system that has to continuously run in the background and poll in order to use an alternate method to accomplish a task.
You apparently don't know how Android or Linux works.
Apparent to whom?

Regarding the prior stuff about stressing out... I'm not stressed at all, just disappointed that Google doesn't seem to be fixing obvious bugs and Motorola's update was underwhelming. The only ones getting stressed out are people who must stamp out all criticism.

And to their comments, I just say "rm -rf" ;)

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
Thanks for piping in... I have no beef with you, even in disagreement on this issue... let's all just chill here... It's just a phone, we're all sharing opinions, that's all and that's cool. Thank you all for contributing. I use the phone differently than some of you do and it's always good to hear what is important to other people. I appreciate I can't expect a phone just to work the way I prefer as some will prefer it to work differently. I pointed these out just because I didn't think it helped anyone and people have shared opinions.

We can move onto something else more productive. Look forward to seeing you guys there.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Thread cleaned of disruptive content........

Please keep it civil gentlemen.

Thank you

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Earlier I said I didn't understand your continuing to argue about issues concerning some lack of functionality when that functionality could be delivered via installation of an app. Well now I understand exactly what you really want, and apparently need: "YOU'RE RIGHT AND WE'RE ALL WRONG. GOOGLE IS WRONG, MOTOROLA IS WRONG. BUT YOU ARE RIGHT!" There, someone said it. Do you feel better? :)
Who is "all" - you and a handful of other people who feel insecure that someone pointed out some flaws in the Droid that remain unfixed? I didn't realize that you are a Google employee and run the bug reporting for them too. Apparently you forgot to remove them from the reports and the similar complaints by other people.

If it helps you guys, all of these anomalies are "features" of the Droid, just like shorter battery life. You can buy an extended battery from Seidio and solve the problem. - see, it's freedom of choice!

No, no, no - you missed my point. I was arguing because your initial complaints were about a lack of functionality and continued to argue even after it was pointed out that the functionality could, in fact, be provided by readily available apps. To me, that defied logic. If you really wanted to functionality, you'd download the apps and thank the forum for helping you solve your problem(s). But instead, you still continue to argue/discuss the "lack of functionality". Obviously I agree with you about the lack of functionality because I did install the apps in order to have the functionality. In fact, in the case of the call list, I didn't realize how bad the native app was until I saw your post and the response to that. I now can't believe I got along this long (since Nov. 2009) without Dialer One. The difference, apparently, between me and you is that this lack of functionality became a total non issue for me once I experienced Dialer One.

This thread is making me remember the old saying (and I paraphrasing here): Don't wrestle with a pig. All you'll do is get muddy and the pig will actually enjoy it. :):)

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for piping in... I have no beef with you, even in disagreement on this issue... let's all just chill here... It's just a phone, we're all sharing opinions, that's all and that's cool. Thank you all for contributing. I use the phone differently than some of you do and it's always good to hear what is important to other people. I appreciate I can't expect a phone just to work the way I prefer as some will prefer it to work differently. I pointed these out just because I didn't think it helped anyone and people have shared opinions.

We can move onto something else more productive. Look forward to seeing you guys there.

Cool - I agree. You enjoy and use your phone the way you like and I'll do the same (but I'm right and you're wrong)!! (I sure hope the forum has a sarcasm font).:icon_ banana:

pudah

Reaction score
This type of OS and environment is not for everyone, and clearly not for you. Buy a new phone. Android should not be expected to change for people like you because it is not intended for people like you. That isn't a judgement of you, but an observation. Most of the things you've pointed out are not flaws, but preferences, and replacing components is what the open source Android is all about. I am just repeating myself now, so if you don't get it just please move on.
If most people call "Yesterday" Thursday and not "more than 24 hours ago but could be Wednesday or Thursday", how is Android's doing so not a mistake but a "preference?" Who prefers it this way? What other phone works this way?

The design of Android (Linux) is such that replacing applications, running services, etc., really shouldn't be an issue with your battery or memory, so it's fine to replace things. It is designed that way, expected and intended. You're stuck thinking about this as if it's another phone or computer OS. It works differently and thus is capable of different things. I've replaced a lot of stock applications and run a lot of services and it has not affected my battery or performance in the slightest... Your logic bffles me and I'm not going to argue about how the code could have been written. There are things that could be done better with the stock OS, and things that could be a lot worse. This is true of ANY phone. However, unlike other phones, you CAN change things. Broken record anyone?
Actually, I think it's you who are misinformed. I've read this parroted statement and laughed. Linux does not somehow magically change the laws of physics. What many of these applications do is create a system that has to continuously run in the background and poll in order to use an alternate method to accomplish a task.

There is a lock screen on the phone but no way to turn it off. Even when you're on a call you're STILL stuck with the lock screen going on. Was that a preference too? Why can't you turn off that lock screen like you can turn off GPS or anything else in the preferences?

I think you're the one playing a broken record trying to explain to us how flaws are really just "preferences." They are clearly easily fixed flaws that remain unfixed. Some of this is Google and some of this is hardware specific issues. Considering how quickly HTC was able to provide a lot of great solutions out of the box like Outlook sync standard, an ability to access the phone dialer with an overlay, etc., I'm thinking Motorola is in trouble. They spent all their time and money releasing some crappy new product that doesn't even use Android 2.0 and sells for just a few dollars less?

As others have said, I think Google needs to figure out how to deal with the hardware differences in its phones and fast. Then it has to master the basics which is why I don't see Android becoming a quick replacement to Blackberries in the workplace and competing mostly with the iPhone market. And quite frankly, I'm still shocked at seeing how many bugs remain on the tracker. It's alarming.

The laws of physics? I didn't know they applied to the structure of computer code. Yes Linux CAN handle how software (apps and services are software, not physical hardware that moves and is subject to the laws of physics) runs, uses memory, battery, etc.

They aren't Google's phones. The point of an open source OS allowed on any platform is the freedom it extends. Closing that off and limiting options, standardizing more things and locking down hardware does have it's benefits, but it also has it's drawbacks, and directly interferes with the princple of Android. If you don't like how Android works, the drawbacks that come with it, and the many benefits of it are not worth it to you, so be it... move on. It IS a fit for a lot of other people, but not everyone. They should not change it to fit those other people, as it then becomes something else entirely, and the same as the other phone operating systems, and we have enough of those to choose from already. You should pick one and stop complaining about Android.

Earlier I said I didn't understand your continuing to argue about issues concerning some lack of functionality when that functionality could be delivered via installation of an app. Well now I understand exactly what you really want, and apparently need: "YOU'RE RIGHT AND WE'RE ALL WRONG. GOOGLE IS WRONG, MOTOROLA IS WRONG. BUT YOU ARE RIGHT!" There, someone said it. Do you feel better? :)
Who is "all" - you and a handful of other people who feel insecure that someone pointed out some flaws in the Droid that remain unfixed? I didn't realize that you are a Google employee and run the bug reporting for them too. Apparently you forgot to remove them from the reports and the similar complaints by other people.

If it helps you guys, all of these anomalies are "features" of the Droid, just like shorter battery life. You can buy an extended battery from Seidio and solve the problem. - see, it's freedom of choice!

Who is insecure? Im not. I admit there are flaws, but most are correctable, and the ones that arent, though annoying, are less than I find in any other phone, and are trumped by the many benefits of the Droid. Some of what you mention are flaws and some are not. Most are easily correctable. I dont care if you express your opinion, but this hardly seems like the thread to do that. It should be specific to the update and not your preference of how a phone should be. Your opinion wont affect mine, nor mine yours. The argument is that you're repeatedly stating that the OS and device should be something else entirely than what it's designed and intedned to be... making it just like other phones. You seem to want that, and we disagree, and I accept the Droid, flaws and all, over it being another HTC, Blackberry, iPhone or a vanilla dumb phone.

Actually, I agree with that. I know you're joking, but it's true. You can replace the battery on the Droid, unlike some phones, so you can get a higher capacity or larger battery. If you don't like the life of the battery you can change settings to lengthen it, play around with what works for you, physically swap it out for a different battery, or get a different phone. I'd rather have the Droid with short battery life and spare batteries than a Blackberry with long battery life. That's just me and for my intended uses. If it's different for you, go to where your priorities are met, and accept that device's flaws & benefits. Unless someone designs a phone specifically for you and you alone, there will always be some issues. Find the one with the least amount of issues to your needs, as I did (the Droid), and be happy with it instead of complaining here.

Last edited:
OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
They aren't Google's phones.
After insisting this is the case, you completely lost me... ;)

The point of an open source OS allowed on any platform is the freedom it extends. Closing that off and limiting options, standardizing more things and locking down hardware does have it's benefits, but it also has it's drawbacks, and directly interferes with the princple of Android.
This is why I think you don't understand the reality of what an open source OS is as applied to the realities of making it work on a non-standardized phone. This is the whole argument about how Android is becoming fragmented and will go nowhere. It's what is making me wonder how we'll be able to see and implement (if ever) a next evolution of the OS.

Let's say HTC now develops its own flavor of Android, so does Motorola and so will Dell because Android itself may not handle common tasks in a mostly standardized solution. The result? An application developer must write the same application three times to deal with each fork of Android. As such, it's too much effort, too many bugs to handle, too little money to make. I've read from several developers a desire not to develop for Android much longer because they are realizing the unfortunate reality and lack of revenue stream. And what happens when the OS is updated? What about all those layers on top of the OS? How about the apps that depend upon them?

@ BayouFlyFisher - LOL but you're still wrong. hehe. :)

For those of you that care (and still don't understand) as I don't care to respond further here, the problem is simple. In the phone log, incoming and outgoing calls are referred to as "Yesterday" and "2 days Ago", etc. As today is Friday, most of you would think yesterday = "Thursday" and 2 days ago = "Wednesday." It does but not on Android. Yesterday means "some time in the past 24-48 hours which could be Wednesday or Thursday" and 2 days ago means "some time in the past 48-72 hours which could be Tuesday or Wednesday." If you're confused, then obviously you don't user terms like "yesterday" the way Android does so many of us think it should be corrected.

My disappointment is echoed in my response to pudah and also by others. I'm not sure what the Android OS is becoming. The 2.1 "update" opened up my eyes to the fragmentation issue. It makes me wonder whether anyone can fix bugs in android centrally. For example, how do you turn off that awful lock screen once and for all? Let's assume that Google wants to include another preference in the OS. How long will it be and how much effort will it take until that important preference can become a part of each "Android" phone? Apparently Motorola must do its part separately from HTC, etc. I'm beginning to have more faith in the development of ROMs by private people here than I am believing that Motorola is going to spend time and money to create a Droid 2.5 update... or even a 2.2 that makes small fixes in bugs.

PS - we are already seeing the beginnings of this issue. Supposedly "Android 2" applications that will work on the Nexus One but not on the Droid and vice versa. Soon we may need to have a "Droid Market" and a "Nexus One Market" etc...

Last edited:

pudah

Reaction score
They aren't Google's phones.
After insisting this is the case, you completely lost me... ;)

I never insisted this was the case... only that Android was a product of Google.

[

This is why I think you don't understand the reality of what an open source OS is as applied to the realities of making it work on a non-standardized phone. This is the whole argument about how Android is becoming fragmented and will go nowhere. It's what is making me wonder how we'll be able to see and implement (if ever) a next evolution of the OS.

Let's say HTC now develops its own flavor of Android, so does Motorola and so will Dell because Android itself may not handle common tasks in a mostly standardized solution. The result? An application developer must write the same application three times to deal with each fork of Android. As such, it's too much effort, too many bugs to handle, too little money to make. I've read from several developers a desire not to develop for Android much longer because they are realizing the unfortunate reality and lack of revenue stream. And what happens when the OS is updated? What about all those layers on top of the OS? How about the apps that depend upon them?

@ BayouFlyFisher - LOL but you're still wrong. hehe. :)

For those of you that care (and still don't understand) as I don't care to respond further here, the problem is simple. In the phone log, incoming and outgoing calls are referred to as "Yesterday" and "2 days Ago", etc. As today is Friday, most of you would think yesterday = "Thursday" and 2 days ago = "Wednesday." It does but not on Android. Yesterday means "some time in the past 24-48 hours which could be Wednesday or Thursday" and 2 days ago means "some time in the past 48-72 hours which could be Tuesday or Wednesday." If you're confused, then obviously you don't user terms like "yesterday" the way Android does so many of us think it should be corrected.

My disappointment is echoed in my response to pudah and also by others. I'm not sure what the Android OS is becoming. The 2.1 "update" opened up my eyes to the fragmentation issue. It makes me wonder whether anyone can fix bugs in android centrally. For example, how do you turn off that awful lock screen once and for all? Let's assume that Google wants to include another preference in the OS. How long will it be and how much effort will it take until that important preference can become a part of each "Android" phone? Apparently Motorola must do its part separately from HTC, etc. I'm beginning to have more faith in the development of ROMs by private people here than I am believing that Motorola is going to spend time and money to create a Droid 2.5 update... or even a 2.2 that makes small fixes in bugs.

PS - we are already seeing the beginnings of this issue. Supposedly "Android 2" applications that will work on the Nexus One but not on the Droid and vice versa. Soon we may need to have a "Droid Market" and a "Nexus One Market" etc...

I agree that the fragmentation of Android is indeed an issue, but this was known long before 2.1 came to be, and I knew it going in. I accept that for the many benefits of Android that outweigh it. It's not really possible for them to have the 1 version of the OS that runs exactly the same on every device because it is open and can run on many devices and tweaks are made as such. That drawback is also an advantage, as when the phone is rooted "flavors" of the OS come out for specific pusposes, devices, etc. This MORE than makes up for the fragmentation issue to me, but that issue is really more of a threat to Google than anyone. It is what will make it difficult for the OS to become a huge player in the market. Then again, if enough versions are out there and accepted, then it could still be a force, but it detracts slightly from the concept. I gave up trying to figure out how Google is going to make money on all of the free projects it pours it's money into. That's their problem. In the mean time I enjoy the heck out of most of them, including Android, and I don't see that changing in the forseeable futre. It's those private ROMs you talked about that make Android so great, and even the options without rooting. When you understand how Linux/Android works, you can see the possibilities. If you don't want to be in such an envornment of development, some fragmentation and modification, then you should really look to another source for your phone.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
Can a Mod close this one up? Its going nowhere. He has his answer.
Before a mod does this, can you explain the problem with just keeping a thread open for people to freely comment? What exactly is the problem? Is keeping a thread open for discussion causing global warming or just annoying to you individually? I didn't care to comment much further but to <lock> a thread? And then to request it? That's what a forum is for... discussion.

pudah

Reaction score
Can a Mod close this one up? Its going nowhere. He has his answer.
Before a mod does this, can you explain the problem with just keeping a thread open for people to freely comment? What exactly is the problem? Is keeping a thread open for discussion causing global warming or just annoying to you individually? I didn't care to comment much further but to <lock> a thread? And then to request it? That's what a forum is for... discussion.

I dont think they will unless it strays too far off topic, is redunant information to another thread, gets too heated, etc.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Thread will remain open as long as the conversation remains civil (which it has)

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey guys, need some help here. I am rooted with BB09 and chevys 1.25GHZ, For some reason when i check on the software update section of the settings, the 2.1 update is downloading over and over again, it would not install the update but it repeats the process, I tried changing roms, rebooting etc and nothing is working. I wanted to see if anyone else is having the same issue.

I had an iphone and I saw the light with my :motdroidvert:, awesome phone, the best .:icon_ banana:
There is a thread on that exact subject. I don't remember the title, but you should be able to find it. It had a fix listed. I think it was in the hacks section, maybe Blackdroid's subforum? Look around, it's here somewhere.