16 gb; true or false?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This moto droid does infact have a 16GB storage space, but that storage space is external. What this means is that it has a 512MB (I believe) internal storage for apps and ringtones and the what nots that get installed into the device system. The external is what you will use for music, video, and stuff like that.

They are working on making the external storage able to be used for apps, but that is not in this revision of coding. Many believe as I that if it even remotely becomes a problem, they will release an update very quickly.

Just a reminder, it is a 16GB card they are sending out with the units, but it can handle up to a 32GB card. You make ask yourself well, why not just send out the 32GB cards. Well they would if they had been created yet. The cards they are using are SDHC which at this moment only are available on the microSD side up to 16GB.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
not even 512 only 256mgs of storage for apps. That was a big mistake. If they want to take a huge bite out of Apples market share (pun intended) they must allocate more on onboard memory, nothing less that 8 gigs.

google won't allow apps to be downloaded to the SD card because they fear piracy. So that wont happen.

Last edited:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
not even 512 only 256mgs of storage for apps. That was a big mistake. If they want to take a huge bite out of Apples market share (pun intended) they must allocate more on onboard memory, nothing less that 8 gigs.

google won't allow apps to be downloaded to the SD card because they fear piracy. So that wont happen.

Piracy on a mostly open source platform? Doubtful. From what i've been told 256MB will still allow you to install 100's of apps, and once they have it to where you CAN install apps to the SDHC card, what then? you can put 1000000000000000 apps on there? I doubt I will use up all the space by putting as many apps on there as it would take. I think the main problem is that people don't understand how much memory an app takes and then it's the whole numbers game, 16GB looks alot better then 256MB, only prob is that you don't have to buy a whole new phone to put more memory in. Which is what you would have to do to upgrade memory on the iphone.

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Piracy on a mostly open source platform? Doubtful. From what i've been told 256MB will still allow you to install 100's of apps, and once they have it to where you CAN install apps to the SDHC card, what then? you can put 1000000000000000 apps on there? I doubt I will use up all the space by putting as many apps on there as it would take. I think the main problem is that people don't understand how much memory an app takes and then it's the whole numbers game, 16GB looks alot better then 256MB, only prob is that you don't have to buy a whole new phone to put more memory in. Which is what you would have to do to upgrade memory on the iphone.
piracy of the games/apps I was meaning to say. Downloading Sims 3 to your SD card and then sharing it amongst your friends would be an easy thing to do : )

Having only 256 megs of app space is a very small amount of space when you consider that there is 10,000 plus apps out there and some people like to download tons of them. 256 megs goes fast. Plus it limits and hinders developers of games (which as you know is a big thing)

Personally I dont care about downloading tons of games and stuff but a lot of consumers do.

256 is good enough for me but I'm not the majority. We can't ignore the iPhone crowd who devour up apps. Droid crowd will be the same and the last thing you want them to read is "sorry you have run out of available space" : ).

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
piracy of the games/apps I was meaning to say. Downloading Sims 3 to your SD card and then sharing it amongst your friends would be an easy thing to do : )

Having only 256 megs of app space is a very small amount of space when you consider that there is 10,000 plus apps out there and some people like to download tons of them. 256 megs goes fast. Plus it limits and hinders developers of games (which as you know is a big thing)

Personally I dont care about downloading tons of games and stuff but a lot of consumers do.

256 is good enough for me but I'm not the majority. We can't ignore the iPhone crowd who devour up apps. Droid crowd will be the same and the last thing you want them to read is "sorry you have run out of available space" : ).
I have a feeling moto / google will find out quickly it needs to change it's policy on storage space. So they will have to come up with something that will allow you to use the SDHC cards.

OP
RayPaganJr

RayPaganJr

Reaction score
Not that I will be downloading every app that will be available, or even having movies on it, I will use my iPod for that. But I have a 32gb iPod touch with 10gb of space left. I can't imagine being so restricted if there is minimal space. But I understand the arguments for this. Thanks.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well it should be fine to put movies on it, seeing as the movies reside on the SD card, which soon will be 32GB cards, but prolly expensive as hell.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I plan on using my Droid for a fair amount of music storage, but the most I typically carry around is like 11 or 12GB. Well, those are usually flac files, so maybe 6 to 8GB of acc and mp3. 16GB is more than enough for me. And the apps that people actually USE won't take that much space... I have little doubt that this phone will be insufficient.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's what I was trying to say. The apps that people use all the time wont be taking up much space at all.

dodgersrgood

Reaction score
[/quote]piracy of the games/apps I was meaning to say. Downloading Sims 3 to your SD card and then sharing it amongst your friends would be an easy thing to do : )

that already is a pretty easy thing to do so why would it be any different if they would allow you to install stuff on your sd card?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't complain -- at least someone bothered to search... :D