16 GB or 32 GB

mikecox

Reaction score
I was reading stats for the Gnex which listed memory as 32GB. When I bought the phone the clerk said it has 16GB when I checked settings/memory it said I'd used 13.3 GB and that there was 9.4 available.

That seems to indicate that I have more than 16 but less that 32. I'm confused :blink:

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Go to the Settings app, look for Storage & select it. Mine is 32GB & looks like this
Screenshot_2013-05-05-16-15-31_zps057d275e.png

Tapped from a Nexus

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Reaction score
Go to the Settings app, look for Storage & select it. Mine is 32GB & looks like this
Screenshot_2013-05-05-16-15-31_zps057d275e.png

Tapped from a Nexus

But my total space 13, with 9 available, for a total of 22; not even close to 32? I'm still confused :blink:

Storage.png

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I'd say it's a 16 GB. That 13.33 is total space. Not total space used. So you can't add that & available space to come up with the total space. It's already displaying that. And the reason our phones total space doesn't reflect what is advertised is because some of that memory is set aside for the phones use.

This post may help some. But it doesn't fully explain why. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-nexus-help/204942-questions-about-galaxy-nexus.html

Tapped from a Nexus

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
How much you have that is available is a combination of a few factors.

First, there is the difference in terminology between what manufactures say a KB is and what a computer reads it as (or phone in this case). Manufacturers say a KB is 10^3 bytes (or 1000) a PC thinks it as 2^10 bytes (1024). Manufacturers think 1MB is 10^6 bytes (1,000,000) a PC thinks it is 2^20 bytes. GB is 10^9 vs 2^30....etc
So for a math conversion: 1,000,000,000 / (2^30) = ~.931GB Multiplied that by 16 puts you at 14.896GB which your device can see.

You then have to factor in partitioning it uses behind the scenes, specifically the OS and some other things. This takes roughly 1.5GB which drops you down to about 13.3GB of actual available space. Then the breakdown of the available space to use, is shown in your picture. The 3GB of music, 677MB of apps...etc all gets subtracted from the available space to you (13.3GB) which leaves you with the 9.39GB of free space.

Sorry if this post is confusing, drinking the first cup of coffee as I type this haha. I can clarify if it doesn't make sense, or if you have questions.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Reaction score
I'd say it's a 16 GB. That 13.33 is total space. Not total space used. So you can't add that & available space to come up with the total space. It's already displaying that. And the reason our phones total space doesn't reflect what is advertised is because some of that memory is set aside for the phones use.

This post may help some. But it doesn't fully explain why. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-nexus-help/204942-questions-about-galaxy-nexus.html

Tapped from a Nexus

Thanks. the salesman was very up front on the issue of memory; several times he mention ed 16GB, to; unlike the guy in the link, I wasn't mislead. I do have a Verizon phone though and it's clearly not 32GB. But I understand what is advertised it not all usable. Just like with HD's, all the memory is not available.

Thanks

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Reaction score
Not confusing at all, and thanks for spelling it out; makes perfect sense :happy3: