xperia z3/compact vs new moto x

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
i have a 2013 moto x,
Love it.

ok returning from deployment in a month or so, looking really at these 2-3 phones
(mind you i'm on t mobile)
this is the list i can come up with early this morning, any tips or suggestions? past experiences with sony's z1 or z2? any hands on time with the new moto x?

moto x (2014)
pros
customize the body
fast charging ( i would buy atleast one super charger)
very pure android feel
"ok google" commands
little perks flicking the wrist to camera

cons
battery? (i was expecting a much larger battery)
size? ( i like the size of my 2013X, need to play with the bigger phone)
other cons?

Xperia Z3/compact
pros
i can pick the size smaller or larger
WATERPROOF (it screams at me....)
sony ecosystem? (i have a ps4)
Battery life

cons
sony's skin? idk is it close to pure android also?
lack of minor customizations
lack of "ok google now" and flick wrist to camera

thanks for your time!
tom

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Here's what I know of Sony devices without ever really having any hands-on experience.

UI: Their skin is minimalistic, much like Moto's, with just a few more add-ons. From the reviews I've seen, they don't bog down a phone such as Samsung's TouchWiz. Minimalistic, but with helpful and useful features, much like your Moto X.

Customizations: I'm guessing you mean like the hardware colors. Yeah they don't offer, but I'm sure the build quality between a Moto X (2014) and a z3 will be world's apart, in Sony's favor. From the feel of the phone, Sony has top notch hardware imo.

Lack of "google now" can be fixed with the Google launcher (available in the Play Store).

Now onto the new Moto X which I have had some hands on experience with...

Screen: It's beautiful. Vibrant colors, and blows my s4 screen out of the water. Major upgrade in that department from Moto.

Hardware: My friend's Moto X has the bamboo backing and it feels and looks really good. Doesn't feel cheap at all and definitely feels like a premium device, unlike the first generation.

I was very surprised at how slim the device was. It may be a bigger device than my current s4, but using my s4 after holding the Moto X, my device felt chunky for a bit. Looks can be deceiving, and the device is very light and feels smaller than it is.

Battery life: I don't think is too big a deal. Depending on use of course, but it should be able to carry you through a whole day of moderate to heavy use. My friend got 18hrs out of his device on 4g the whole day and still had about 25% to spare. I think his screen on time hovered around 2.5hrs, so that's pretty good battery life.

All that being said, two very solid flagship devices. I would personally probably go for the z3 compact if it was a choice for me (Currently on Verizon, but strongly considering switching). I've always wanted a Xperia device and even if I stick to Verizon, I'm going to upgrade to their variant of the z3. I was planning on the Moto X, but after confirmation of the z3v, I gotta get my hands on that device.

OP
TOMMYBOT

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
Thank you for the very quick response!

I guess my only other question would be radios?
if i recall motorola was known for their higher quality antennas, would you expect any difference in sony's phones?