X2 keeps turning on/off repeatedly

SideEffect

Reaction score
I just got a new Droid X2 from Verizon on Tuesday. Tonight, it turned off, then it seemed to be in a loop of turning on and off. I couldn't access anything in the phone and it wouldn't let me manually power it off. I finally took the battery out. I don't think I did anything wrong. I've only downloaded a handful of apps, but they were trustful. The last thing I did on the internet browser was google search for wallpapers and I did click on one. Don't know if that caused a virus or not? I was able to get into the phone menu once, but it wouldn't let me open the browser or any apps and said force close. I'm planning on going to Verizon soon and asking for an exchange. Does anyone know any reason why this is occurring? Thanks for any input.

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can try booting into recovery mode and wipeing cache, might clear it right up.

Sent from my DROID X2

OP
S

SideEffect

Reaction score
Thanks. I ended up going back to Verizon and exchanging it.

brocja01

Reaction score
Thanks. I ended up going back to Verizon and exchanging it.
Did you have any additional issues with the one you got after you traded. I've had mine since 3:30 this afternoon and have had 5 reboots (that I caught). Most of which were while I was plugged in.

OP
S

SideEffect

Reaction score
No, thankfully not. The employee said the internet search may've just been a coincidence since I didn't download a picture and it rebooted like 15 minutes after. I am still curious to know what the problem was.

brocja01

Reaction score
Well, I've had a good turn of events with my X2, and I thought I would let you all know. If anyone of you are having crazy random reboots like I was. My phone was rebooting what seems like constantly I may have a fix.

I went back to my Verizon store yesterday, for one more exchange. Told myself, if the 3rd X2 didn't work, I was going to take it back and wait till something else came out. After the guy put my original memory card in the phone, activated it, he was on the computer doing some stuff and I happen to look over at my X2, it had just rebooted. I go to the guy, "see, it just rebooted". So we take it over to the "tech" department in the store and as the guy is holding it, waking it up from sleep (the only time it would reboot by the way) it rebooted again. Right in his hand. This was my 3 new device in 3 days. So, these two goobers (although my sales guy has been awesome with me the last 3 days) were talking this out I started thinking, what is the same in all of these devices? It wasn't the software, because X3 had just been activated, the only thing I had done was log into my Google account. The only thing that was the same was the memory card. It was the same memory card that I had in the very 1st X2. I just kept having them swipe them out and putting the original in.

We took the card out, sat there for 15 minutes or so and the phone never rebooted. So they copied my images and stuff off of that one and onto the one that was supposed to come with the 3rd X2 and now I've been up and running for over 16 hours. No reboots, nothing.

So to make a very long story short, if you are experiencing a bunch of random reboots, I'm thinking that they may have a bad batch of micro SD cards. Try taking the card out and see if that fixes your rebooting. If it does, take the card back to the store and tell them to get you a new one.

mhwa

Reaction score
So to make a very long story short, if you are experiencing a bunch of random reboots, I'm thinking that they may have a bad batch of micro SD cards. Try taking the card out and see if that fixes your rebooting. If it does, take the card back to the store and tell them to get you a new one.

Very interesting, my x2 was having issues initially and seemed to only want to mount the sd card occasionally, so I popped it out and formatted it. Since then it seems to be working fine.