Wifi Only on Motorola Atrix While Roaming

kina

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new here, and new to smart phones in general.

My phone plan is from the USA with AT&T. I travel a lot to Canada. I am currently in Canada for the first time with my new phone and I'm terrified of getting a 'surprise' bill when I get back to the states.

I do however have access to a wifi connection. I want to be able to use my phone for email, google calendar and docs, google + etc.. I just don't want it to connect to the Canadian phone networks around to do ANYTHING. I don't even want to use my phone for voice calls or texting until I'm back in the states.

I unchecked all of the options in the Data Manager. Then, I went to the Settings > Wireless & network settings > Mobile Networks >
then options are:

- Select Network
- Operator Selection
- Access point names

Now I can't even click on "Select network" it just says "automatic" all the time.

Operator Selection is greyed out and not clickable either.

Access point names is clickable and it lists the following three that I can select with a radio button:

-AT&T US / wap.cingular
- AT&T US HSDPA / phone
- AT&T Tether / broadband

and then
- AT&T US MMS / wap.cingular
which has no radio button and is not clickable.

now with all that said.. do I have to unlock my phone or call AT&T for it to block all phone and 4g data and only use wifi? Or is this something I can do to my phone by myself? I really don't want to have to wait on hold with AT&T for a day to figure this out.

Thanks! :)