Why no current Google Keyboard on Google Play?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
After going back through the settings, I enabled "gesture delete" but it deletes more than one word at a time.... Oh well, I'll stick with it for the time being.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
After going back through the settings, I enabled "gesture delete" but it deletes more than one word at a time.... Oh well, I'll stick with it for the time being.

S5 tap'n
Gesture delete is kinda touchy in my experience. It's a brand new setting with this update, but if you swipe more slowly, you can actually select one word, or keep swiping to select many words. Tiny bit of a learning curve, but very handy once you get the finesse of it. I also like being able to swipe on the space bar to move the cursor (also new in this update), though that's very touchy as well.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thanks! Just installed from the apkmirror site. So far, so good. Definitely like to be able to long press for symbols. It was the main thing I didn't like about the keyboard. Now ask they have to do is add a dedicated number line and it would be perfect.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
It DOES have a dedicated number line, but it decides on its own when to show up. I'm pretty sure it has to do with how a particular text box is coded by its creator. While I don't always like having one, I have found it handy in the places where it's shown up.

Try like a password box on a website or something. Seems to me, it has definitely shown up in that case for me sometimes.

I just pulled my phone out and launched Tapatalk though, and it didn't have the dedicated number keys. Very strange, but it seems like they tried to make it smart enough to stay out of your way when you likely won't need it. First time for this feature, so hopefully they'll improve it or give an option to make it always visible or something.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Just turned my tablet on to read before bed & it's got an update available for the Google keyboard. 5.0.25...

Looks like it's going official & live now. Can't wait to turn the symbols on here too now.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
N7 and 5x both received it today.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

pixeline

Reaction score

S5 tap'n
In my humble opinion you can't beat Swipe keyboard. It's still my all time favorite, but I think I'm going to give Google keyboard a try. Your opinion usually aren't all that much off mark

Swyped ✔

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It's now available for me also.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
In my humble opinion you can't beat Swipe keyboard. It's still my all time favorite, but I think I'm going to give Google keyboard a try. Your opinion usually aren't all that much off mark

Swyped ✔
I've been a Swyper since its beta days when you had to get a invite. The biggest plus for me and Swype has been its gesture accuracy, though it isn't what it used to be. The Google keyboard update reminds me of the old beta days when you could slide pretty darn sloppily and it'd figure out what you meant. One thing no other keyboard has gotten right though is misspelled words being suggested as the correct spelling. More times than not with Swype I don't need to go into my dictionary if I'm not sure of a spelling. Just swipe what I think it is and it usually comes up with the correct word as an alternate suggestion. None of them are perfect but Swype makes me look smarter than I am in emails, forum posts, etc , where context, punctuation, and spelling can be very important.
On the Google keyboard how do you add words on the fly like with others? I know it's not hard to add them manually but I'm looking for a quicker way and long press and methods that others use isn't working for me so far.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe it just learns as you use it, but I could be wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
That's what Swype beta did. At first it'd be horribly inaccurate but within a few days it was mind reading accurate, like this one is from swipe one. I'm still switching back and forth with each new, almost daily, Google keyboard update. I'm hoping it isn't line Swift Key Flow in that it starts accurate and gets less accurate with each slide. So far GKB is staying just as scary accurate except it hasn't started giving correct spellings as suggestions yet. Like with Swype I didn't know how to spell nefarious. I slid "naphairius" and it suggested "nefarious" on Swype whereas Google suggested "broadside" as a second choice. I really like the slide back from the delete to delete words. It seems slide from delete to the left erases 1 entire word per letter I slide over then drops what i just erased in the suggestion box. Protecting from myself I really appreciate. I like where the microphone icon is as well.
This rest of this post was done with speak and text on the Google keyboard.The speech to text works pretty well too, almost as fast as I can speak it. Now I just have to need to figure out how to install punctuation the way I want it to, it seems if I say the punctuation word right away it inserts it but if I wait a second or two it spells out the word instead of inserting the punctuation. That'll take some getting used to.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I switched to GKB over a year ago because Swiftkey was getting worse for me over time. Still very much enjoying using GKB. These latest updates are just icing on a cake that I already liked. Haha!

As for spelling words I'm not sure on, I use speech to text for that. Just say it into Google or any other text box. Better than me trying to guess & not getting the answer I need.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna be trying turn auto correct now that I saw in the other thread new words automatically save to the dictionary, no long press or other things needed. Between the space bar acting like an arrow key and this I could really stay almost fast as when I use Swype. Just need a copy/paste gesture to help me get over my addiction to Swype.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><