Why no current Google Keyboard on Google Play?

Agunat

Reaction score
I have read several favorable reviews about the current version of Google Keyboard (version 5.0.2). The version on Google Play is 4.1. Why is that? Keyboard version 5 is supposed to have a setup to move the keyboard to either side of the screen to make one handed typing on a large screen phone much easier. I'd really like to have that feature. Does anyone know when the current version will be available on Google Play. I see methods where you can download the app elsewhere and have to use special software to install it. I am unfamiliar with a method such as that and do not wish to step outside the "normal" way to get an app. Help Please.

Thanks in advance... Bob

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
OP
A

Agunat

Reaction score
You can find Google Play apps on apkmirror. Here's the keyboard Google Keyboard APKs - APKMirror You need to allow Unknown Sources, you can find that in Settings/Security.

Sometimes there's more than one version & you need to know what your device is, this app will help Droid Hardware Info - Android Apps on Google Play

Tapped from a Nexus 6

So what makes this keyboard app different than other apps on Google Play? Why these mirror sites. I don't know how to use them. Google Play says the app is compatible with all my devices. I've downloaded lots of apps but have never expeienced something like this. Everything I've read says that ver. 5 is the current one.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I looked at the latest reviews on the Play Store and many folks were asking the same question you were...."where's ver 5.0?"
Not sure why it's not on the Play Store. I originally thought it may have had something to do with what OS version you were running, but after skimming through a number of reviews, quite a few people who are currently running Marshmallow don't have access to 5.0 either. I'm not sure what the differences are, but you can compare the changelog with the current 4.+ version on the Play Store, with the changelog posted on the site/link that @CJM provided above. Then you can decide for yourself if it's worth the download. Simply follow the instructions @CJM provided by going into your system settings, security, check the box that says "unknown sources", then return to the page to download/install to your device. After you've downloaded it, go back into your settings and uncheck the "unknown sources" box and you're good to go.
Good luck!

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
This is from their website FAQ - APKMirror

e1ca5498efd269d70687c7fe3245f822.jpg

Tapped from a Nexus 6

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I looked at the latest reviews on the Play Store and many folks were asking the same question you were...."where's ver 5.0?"
Not sure why it's not on the Play Store. I originally thought it may have had something to do with what OS version you were running, but after skimming through a number of reviews, quite a few people who are currently running Marshmallow don't have access to 5.0 either. I'm not sure what the differences are, but you can compare the changelog with the current 4.+ version on the Play Store, with the changelog posted on the site/link that @CJM provided above. Then you can decide for yourself if it's worth the download. Simply follow the instructions @CJM provided by going into your system settings, security, check the box that says "unknown sources", then return to the page to download/install to your device. After you've downloaded it, go back into your settings and uncheck the "unknown sources" box and you're good to go.
Good luck!
Good info @cr6, thanks for the update. I was considering loading from APK Mirror since it doesn't appear in the Play Store for me also. I think i will hold off and wait until I see it available in my Play Store list of updates. Not because of APK Mirror, I have installed apps from them before (using an older version of Tapatalk right now that I downloaded from them). I'm going to wait in case there is some reason that Google is not releasing the new update for 6.0 Marshmallow phones. Maybe it's not compatible with Marshmallow yet?

Sent From My Galaxy Tab Using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good info @cr6, thanks for the update. I was considering loading from APK Mirror since it doesn't appear in the Play Store for me also. I think i will hold off and wait until I see it available in my Play Store list of updates. Not because of APK Mirror, I have installed apps from them before (using an older version of Tapatalk right now that I downloaded from them). I'm going to wait in case there is some reason that Google is not releasing the new update for 6.0 Marshmallow phones. Maybe it's not compatible with Marshmallow yet?

I've got a Note4 with AT&T. Getting M isn't a concern for me any time soon

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

I've been running the new version from APK mirror on my 6P for almost a week with no noticeable issues.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I actually like this keyboard except for one small problem. It's predictions are great but the only reason I don't use it as my daily driver is it's inability to long press certain keys for punctuation. Having to press a separate key and then choose another for punctuation makes writing emails, text messages & forum posts way too time consuming. Otherwise it's a great keyboard!

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I actually like this keyboard except for one small problem. It's predictions are great but the only reason I don't use it as my daily driver is it's inability to long press certain keys for punctuation. Having to press a separate key and then choose another for punctuation makes writing emails, text messages & forum posts way too time consuming. Otherwise it's a great keyboard!

S5 tap'n
They actually just added a toggle in the settings on this new side load version to turn symbols on all keys on so you can long press them a la SwiftKey & others.

On...
bd865f89e7da128cb2d46e540fc9bfc9.jpg

Off...
bb68fc3573af3696942bce3116a0402a.jpg

Also, for most common punctuation, long press the period key...
c48a108dd2f01dce1a2e331e31a70731.jpg

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No problem! I didn't realize how much I like the symbols on all the keys until I turned it back off for those screenshots.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No problem! I didn't realize how much I like the symbols on all the keys until I turned it back off for those screenshots.

Yeah it's a choice of Android like or Apple like. Secondary keys are a must have on any keyboard I use. That was another thing that drove me away from iOS.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks! Just installed from the apkmirror site. So far, so good. Definitely like to be able to long press for symbols. It was the main thing I didn't like about the keyboard. Now ask they have to do is add a dedicated number line and it would be perfect.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Just downloaded it, so far so good. I don't like that it doesn't delete the whole word at once when pressing the back/delete key the way Swype does. It does for the last word typed, but only deletes one letter at a time thereafter. I can probably live with it though. I'll give it a good week or two before I decide whether to make it my DD.

S5 tap'n