Why do I need 2 email apps?

joelangley

Reaction score
re: two apps

You can use some third party ones which combine them and have more options. Someone mentioned k9 mail which is built on top of the existing open source android mail client. You can also use maildroid ( https://slideme.org/application/maildroid ) which is modeling a blackberry feel and is built from scratch.

Sarreq Teryx

Reaction score
my question is this, why do we need 2 separate apps, why were the 2 of them not combined into a single app? that way you can check all of your email from one place.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The same reason that Google has a Gmail app for other phones as well, that dosn't replace their existing mail solution?

Choices :)

That, and Google knows they can deliver a superior experience if they tailor an app that is specifically for their email services. They aren't going to do that for others.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find a way to control how often the Gmail app would check messages
Generally, it's best to control the notifications rather than email delivery but if specifying the polling interval works for you then definitely go with it.

my question is this, why do we need 2 separate apps, why were the 2 of them not combined into a single app? that way you can check all of your email from one place.
Need is always subjective. I'm one of those that doesn't use either of the stock apps but Touchdown instead, for example. In any case, the Gmail app is designed for use with gmail accounts and isn't compatible with other account types. If you really want to centralize email delivery then have all email picked up by your gmail account (mentioned earlier in the thread already) and use only the gmail account.

In any case, more choices are always better.

Last edited: