Which version of exchange will work on the X

plumcrazy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i searched but didnt see anything on this.

New to droid, new to exchange servers (i usually use pop accounts)

I sent the IT guy an email asking if its possible to run this phone on our server as I did have issues with VZW and a treo700 a few years ago.

his reply:
We are running Exchange2003, as we don't have 64bit servers (yet).
What I call the current version is 2007 (I believe 2010 is out, but not tested properly). In our case (32bit), 2003 would be the equivalent version to 2007.

There is support for mobile devices, but I may have to convince the powers that we need to purchase digital certificate subscriptions.
is this enough server info for a solid answer ? will a droid X on VZW work with this type of exchange server ?

Warner

Reaction score

I sent the IT guy an email asking if its possible to run this phone on our server as I did have issues with VZW and a treo700 a few years ago.

his reply:
What I call the current version is 2007 (I believe 2010 is out, but not tested properly). In our case (32bit), 2003 would be the equivalent version to 2007.

There is support for mobile devices, but I may have to convince the powers that we need to purchase digital certificate subscriptions.
is this enough server info for a solid answer ? will a droid X on VZW work with this type of exchange server ?

We run 2003, but also have a front end (or OWA - Outlook Web Access) Server. I believe you'll need the OWA server to work with the phone. The cert for OWA isn't big money....Do you have remote users that access e-mail?

Warner

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Try asking this question here

rolandct

Reaction score

his reply:

This phone utilizes ActiveSync (essentially just with a different interface) which is what WinMo uses. So this phone will sync with Echange 2007 fine. I have a DInc user who does so now with no problems. However if your Exchange admin uses certain security policies you may run into a problem if they are enforced (they have the option to enable then, but not require then for a connection). If you run into a policy problem then when the phone gets Android 2.2 next month supposedly this issue is going to be addressed with the upgrade.
If you have iPhone users at your company syncing with ActiveSync/Exchange then chances are they are either not using these policies or they are not enforcing them if they are in place.

OP
plumcrazy

plumcrazy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
rolandct, there are a few iphone users on it now and working fine. so is it safe to assume i can use the X after some security adjusting ?

titans, thanx for the link. will be there shortly

rolandct

Reaction score
rolandct, there are a few iphone users on it now and working fine. so is it safe to assume i can use the X after some security adjusting ?

The X should work fine then, I am an admin for Exchange among other things and if iPhones can work than DX should be able to as well. If not immediately (though it should) then definitely with 2.2.
Personally I am getting a DX this week and dumping WinMo and know it'll work with our policies on our Exchange 2007 server. That doesn't even include my ability to change them. :D

Edit: If you are running 2003 (which I missed) there are very few security policy options, so less chance of a problem.

Last edited:
OP
plumcrazy

plumcrazy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanx roland, i hope so and i'll see what he says.

Warner

Reaction score

The X should work fine then, I am an admin for Exchange among other things and if iPhones can work than DX should be able to as well. If not immediately (though it should) then definitely with 2.2.
Personally I am getting a DX this week and dumping WinMo and know it'll work with our policies on our Exchange 2007 server. That doesn't even include my ability to change them. :D

Edit: If you are running 2003 (which I missed) there are very few security policy options, so less chance of a problem.

I am also the Exchange (2003 for now) admin here and we have a remote sales force that uses Windows Mobile devices to connect to Exchange using ActiveSync. I have configured everything from Blackberries to most recently, a Droid Incredible using the same Activesync settings without any issues. It should work fine. I'll tell you for sure on Thursday when I set my Droid X up......

Warner

astronaut

Reaction score
If you run into trouble using the basic Exchange app on your phone then I suggest you try TouchDown. It is a paid app in the Market but they have a free version you can try first. I have found that it can connect when the basic app cannot and it has some very nice features. Well worth the money in my opinion.

mflynn

Reaction score
I use touchdown by nitrodesk, I would assume this will work on the DX. It supports all the encryption policies a company may have, exchange 2003, and 2007 along with active sync.

OP
plumcrazy

plumcrazy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
more good info, thanks guys

dangerous

Reaction score

I am also the Exchange (2003 for now) admin here and we have a remote sales force that uses Windows Mobile devices to connect to Exchange using ActiveSync. I have configured everything from Blackberries to most recently, a Droid Incredible using the same Activesync settings without any issues. It should work fine. I'll tell you for sure on Thursday when I set my Droid X up......

Warner

You configured Blackberries to use Activesync? hmm... i dont' think so.. Maybe BES BPS or BESX... I didn't think they did A.S..
Glad to know the androids will connected via AS though...

Warner

Reaction score

Warner

You configured Blackberries to use Activesync? hmm... i dont' think so.. Maybe BES BPS or BESX... I didn't think they did A.S..

What I said was that I used the same SETTINGS that ActiveSync uses....owa.xxxxxxx.com and the network credentials. Basically, it uses the OWA server to get emails from Exchange.

Warner

dangerous

Reaction score

Warner

What I said was that I used the same SETTINGS that ActiveSync uses....owa.xxxxxxx.com and the network credentials. Basically, it uses the OWA server to get emails from Exchange.

Warner

Gotcha.. Sorry.. I have a Besx and it's a PITA to install. . Yes, for BIS you set up through OWA (sort of)...