Which folder is my gallery?

Blacksantron

Reaction score
So I was sent a pic in an MMS. Downloaded it. Then went to my gallery and it twasn't there! Egad! Went thru my files and found it in the download folder of Go SMS.. Moved it to root.

Now then. When I was viewing it originally in the text I tapped it for options to save and they showed up for a second and then disappeared... Hitting the menu button on it did nothing.

So my question is which folder is the gallery folder so I can manually move it?

Side note: I'm running CM7 so maybe its a bug in there so that I can't save from the text I received? Explains the options only displaying for half a second after tapping it and the menu button doing nothing I think?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
Blacksantron

Blacksantron

Reaction score
20 reads and no one knows which folder is the gallery?

Bumpppppp

Sent from my Supercharged Cyanogenated DROIDX using DroidForums

pool_shark

Reaction score
The gallery picks up pics from anywhere on the SD card, the DCIM folder is just for pics taken with the camera.

The gallery on froyo sometimes took a while to register new pics, you can download sdrescan to make it read faster or use a different gallery app such as gallery 3D.

OP
Blacksantron

Blacksantron

Reaction score
Thanks moved it to the dcim filer and got it... Still can't save from the text though

Sent from my Supercharged Cyanogenated DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
Unfortunately the stock gallery app does not give you much in the way of settings. If you used and alternate app (I use quickpic), you can go into settings and tel it what files on your sdcard you want it to look at. Then when you add the downloads file to that app, anyes picture you save from texting will show up in your new gallery.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

pool_shark

Reaction score
The pictures show up anyway, it's just that the stock gallery app can be a bit slow at picking them up.

I have pics all over my sd card. I have a directory called "My pictures". Under that I have random, pets, wallpaper, google wallpaper, etc.

When I receive a pic via text message they go to /sdcard/handcent/download. When I download a pic off of the web it goes to /sdcard/download.

There is no special location where pics have to reside.

Reaction score
True. But what I didn't like about the stock gallery is that it picks up any photo on the sdcard. So if I bought a digital music album our downloaded a game that had a photo on it, that photo showed up in my gallery. With my quick pic, I tell out which folders to look in and which ones to ignore.

This is good for pictures you want to keep but don't want to show up on the gallery too.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

pool_shark

Reaction score
For pics I don't want the gallery to see I put a . in front of the directory name.

What I don't like about 3rd party gallery apps is they don't allow you to rotate the pics with your fingers, you have to use menu then hit the rotate button.

puppybone69

Reaction score
For pics I don't want the gallery to see I put a . in front of the directory name.

What I don't like about 3rd party gallery apps is they don't allow you to rotate the pics with your fingers, you have to use menu then hit the rotate button.

I hate to revive an old thread, especially for my first post, but this little tidbit about putting a . in front of a directory name makes it invisible to the gallery answered the question that led me here and resolved the issue I was having with a file I had downloaded from an email. Unbeknownst to me, the . at the beginning of the filename was the reason why it wouldn't show itself in my gallery, even after I manually moved it there, so all I had to do was rename it without the . in the front of its name, and it finally revealed itself in my gallery, after I saved the changes. Now why some jerk put that . in front of it to make it hide itself from other people's galleries is yet another mystery, but thankfully I asked my search question about it the right way to find the answer and the solution in this thread!

This is my biggest pet peeve with android, there's far too many ways for others to prevent users from doing whatever they want to do with their own devices. If it's not some jerk putting a . in front of a filename to make it difficult to locate it and view it without using a third party file explorer to find it, rename it, and make it show itself where the user expects to find it and see it, then its some jerk setting its permissions to make it unmovable to sd! Things like this are rarely an issue for PC users, but with android there's frequent issues like this, thanks to whatever jerk or group of jerks decided to give it so many different ways to control others' devices with it. Sorry I'm ranting a bit here now, but full control of files on one's own device should always be given to the user, not the file creator!