Which Bluethooth Headset works the best for the ONE

WhoDunIt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
I have a Droid DNA but a friend just bought the ONE. Nice phone but he is having a terrible time finding a bluethooth headset that will work well without background noise. It took me 2 yrs to get him away from his Iphone so help me to not loose him back to the dark side.... I do not use bluethooh headsets as I just ignore the phone until I arive at my destination, so I'm clueless. He has tried a Plantronics Voyger 510 that worked perfectly for his Iphone but it was really bad with the ONE. He can hear people well enough but the background noise for those calling him is incredible. He recently used a different Plantronics model but it was only slightly better. Any Recommendations from those who have used both in conjuction with each other would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sal R.

Reaction score
No problem with background noise with my Jawbone Icon HD.

NOVICE

Reaction score
LG Tone.

Be warned. Pretty goofy looking as it hangs around your neck.

But I've used them all and for phone conversations--not music--by far the best experience.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ask them to turn off Voice Privacy under call settings (I think that's where it is, might be in the dialer settings) first before trying a different earpiece. It might help a lot, especially if they're getting any echo, but won't hurt anything if not. It's just a secondary encryption of the voice call that really isn't needed since analog is no more.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notetoo

OP
WhoDunIt

WhoDunIt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Thanks for the replies. Voice Privacy didn't work but he found a 6 year old Motorola headset that worked just fine....for an hour before it died; battery won't hold a charge anymore. He ordered a new one.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I'm also looking for a new headset for my HTC One. My wife and I have been using the Motorola HX550 headsets for a couple of years and it has worked fine with my Incredible 2. However, my wife says that my voice is muffled now that I have the One. Her phone is an old LG Env. I can hear her very clearly. I discovered that if I talk to her in a higher voice (tenor) that she can also hear me clearly, but in my normal voice (baritone) I am muffled and have to repeat often. We switched phones and I was very clear in my normal voice using her phone and headset. We then mated the headsets to the other phones and I was still muffled with her headset on my One, so I'm looking for a new headset and hopefully not a new phone. Does anyone with a low voice use a headset with their One that people say is clear? I'm going to try an old Jabra BT8010 later today.

OP
WhoDunIt

WhoDunIt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
My friend with the One just bought a Motorola HX550 for $39.99 on Amazon...

Amazon.com: Motorola HX550 Universal Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

He said that it works perfectly with the ONE. He did say that his only complainant was that it had low volume when used with the outer ear piece. Once he switched to the inner ear piece, the volume was excellent. Could just be that it didn't fit him well. He also noted that the phone did not have to be in 'car mode' for the head set to function which he liked.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
My friend with the One just bought a Motorola HX550 for $39.99 on Amazon...

Amazon.com: Motorola HX550 Universal Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

He said that it works perfectly with the ONE. He did say that his only complainant was that it had low volume when used with the outer ear piece. Once he switched to the inner ear piece, the volume was excellent. Could just be that it didn't fit him well. He also noted that the phone did not have to be in 'car mode' for the head set to function which he liked.

That's the one that my wife and I both have. If she uses my phone and BT and I use her phone and BT then we can both hear each other fine. The only problem is she can't hear me well when I am on my phone. It seems like the phone and BT can't handle a lower frequency voice. If I talk in a fake real high voice then she can hear me. I tried my old Jabra BT8010 and it was even a bit worse. I'm charging an old Moto H710 right now to try. I just found a discussion from yesterday on another forum where 3 or 4 people complained about bad BT quality for the other person with the HTC One and various BT headsets, so it's not just mine.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do remember my old 8010 was very bassy with its output, making it sounds almost muffled. I don't have a One but on my Rezound my old Plantronics Voyager pro sounded most natural with my deep voice. Alas, my 710 didn't last long enough to be used on the Rezound, it broke back during my Inc 1 days. It was the last gimmicky and best working I've ever had. Sucked on a dumbphone but worked great on the Inc.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notetoo

OP
WhoDunIt

WhoDunIt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Sorry about that, I mis-read your thread and the model number.... I wish I had more knowledge to offer you but I just tried his Bluethooth on his ONE and then on my DNA and it sounded clear on both. I'd say he has a deeper voice then me but neither would be considered super low/dep. Maybe that is the issue.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
My phone battery was down to about 30%, so I charged it before doing any more testing. I tried my old Moto H710 and it wasn't very good. I then tried the BT in my wife's Cruze and she said that she could hear me fine. I think that I've called her from the Cruze since I got my One and she never complained. I then tried my HX550 again and she said that she could hear every word that I said in my normal voice. I have no idea why the difference except that the phone battery voltage might make a difference. The sound on her end was not perfect (not as good as if I use her old LG EnV), but she never missed a word during about 2 minutes of me continuously talking about nothing to test it. So with the EnV we both sound great, but with the One she sounds as good as she does on the EnV, but my voice is just acceptable now. this is the first problem I've found with the One since I got it 2 weeks ago.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I finally tried a soft reset of my One by holding the power button down for about 12 seconds while the phone was powered on until it did a reset. I hadn't tried it before because people on some other forums said that it did nothing. The soft reset helped greatly. My wife can now hear me clearly using the Moto HX550. A funny thing about doing the soft reset is that my unlock code keypad is different. It is larger than it was before and easier to type in the unlock code.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I discovered something that I consider really strange. When I did the soft reset it changed my keyboard from the Thumb Keyboard 4 that I use to the stock Sense keyboard. I wondered if the Thumb Keyboard 4 could be somehow causing the BT problem but thought not possible. Finally, I changed the keyboard to the Thumb Keyboard 4 and the BT problem came back. I then changed it back to the Sense keyboard and problem went away. I downloaded Perfect Keyboard Free, which is similar to Thumb Keyboard 4, and the BT behaved the same as with the Sense keyboard. It was also the Thumb Keyboard 4 that caused the unlock screen keypad to be smaller. I didn't do another soft reset between all these changes, so it is definitely Thumb Keyboard 4 that caused the problem. It's too bad because I like Thumb Keyboard 4.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When dealing with Android fragmentation code errors can show up in the most unrelated places. The developer trying to make it work in a gazillion different makes, models and versions they sometimes might miss something. I'd suggest write to the developer and let them know the bug.
Glad you got it fixed

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate