Whats the best way to update my DX to Gingerbread?

B

budmonster

I know these questions has been probably been answered a million times already so I do apologize ahead of time, but I have been away from the Android scene for awhile now and I'm trying to catch up on everything. I would search through all the pages to get my answers but with work and my son I have little time. I'm seeing several ways to update to the new GB OTA, Deodexed, etc. and I'm confused. Now onto my question...

I'm still on 2.2.1 (.340), I'm not on a ROM or anything just rooted. I now want to the plunge and update to the the final Gingerbread OTA that's out. I checked out this page Official Gingerbread Release (This is not Rooted or Deodexed) Verizon Gingerbread OTA and it has the GB OTA update.zip for download, but it's not rooted. When I click on the link to download it, the file comes up as "Blur_Version.2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US.zip (111.69 MB)"? My phone says Im already on Blur_Version.2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US? Is that just a typo because I thought the GB OTA was "2.3.3(4.5.588)"? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding all this?

So If I download that update.zip and flash it, will it update my phone to the Verizon DroidX GB OTA 2.3.3(4.5.588)? Then once I'm done flashing that zip, can't I just go ahead and use that new Gingerbreak APK to gain root?

But if I do it that way I wont be able to use themes/ROMs right? Because the update.zip is not Deodexed?

So what is the best way for me to update to GB? I want to be able to use the themes/roms that are out.

I hope I didn't confuse everyone, thanks for your patience and help.
-budmonster

BoJatey

Reaction score
Why don't you go to the market and get the donated version of liberty toolbox? Download it, open it, and go to Rom Manager/Nighties and download the 0.1 full install for froyo. Then you'll be running the Liberty rom on Gingerbread all in one shot. After that you can go back and update to 0.3.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
B

budmonster

Why don't you go to the market and get the donated version of liberty toolbox? Download it, open it, and go to Rom Manager/Nighties and download the 0.1 full install for froyo. Then you'll be running the Liberty rom on Gingerbread all in one shot. After that you can go back and update to 0.3.

I dont want to be on liberty, I want to be on stock GB deodexed.

BoJatey

Reaction score
Sorry, just an idea. I see Macpro has hooked you up over at DX. Kind of the long way to go about it. I had the direct link for you but took it down because I didn't have P3's consent. The update file you mentioned earlier is the correct update. You can downlaod that and apply the break or go with Macpro. Good luck.

OP
B

budmonster

Sorry, just an idea. I see Macpro has hooked you up over at DX. Kind of the long way to go about it. I had the direct link for you but took it down because I didn't have P3's consent. The update file you mentioned earlier is the correct update. You can downlaod that and apply the break or go with Macpro. Good luck.

im confused on what your saying? so theres 2 ways to get to GB?

1. flash the update.zip, then use that Gingerbreak APK to root it?

2. follow macpros guide by installing the 3 parts? then i install the NoBloat.2.3.588_rooted_deodexed.zip to make it deodexed?

OP
B

budmonster

also if do the update.zip and then apply gingerbreak to gain root how do i deodex GB? do i flash NoBloat.2.3.588_rooted_deodexed.zip?

BoJatey

Reaction score
Yes, but the first won't get you deodexed which is what you want so go with Mac.

OP
B

budmonster

Yes, but the first won't get you deodexed which is what you want so go with Mac.

Ok so let me get this straight once and for all…

To get my phone updated to the OTA Gingerbread and also Deodexed I follow these instructions:
1. Download Part1, Part2 and Part3
2. Restart phone in DROID2 Bootstrap recovery
3. Wipe phone
4. Install zips in order, part 1,2,3
5. Wipe again and reboot
6. Once phone is rebooted, install droid2 bootstrap again
7. Reboot into droid2 bootstrap and flash the NoBloat.2.3.588_rooted_deodexed.zip

After I do all this I will have the OTA Gingerbread rooted and deodexed on my phone, correct?

BoJatey

Reaction score
Yes, only way I know for what you want. Good luck.

OP
B

budmonster

Cant I just flash NoBloat.2.3.588_rooted_deodexed.zip to get on Gingerbread and deodexed?

BoJatey

Reaction score
I thought you had this whipped. If you go here http://shop.teamblackhat.info/ and dl the app for $1.99, there is an update.zip that is the same as the 3 file patch with root that you have the link for. Dl that and install, then put the no-bloat over that. Two files and you are done. Once you buy the app, the dl link will be emailed to you. That's about as easy as it gets.

OP
B

budmonster

i do have the TBH app. i just downloaded the "Full Gingerbread (2.3.3) Rooted (Blur Version 4.5.591) -Deodexed Fully (DROIDX)" zip. how do i install that since im still on 2.2.1?

do i just remove the dx bootstrap and replace it with the d2 bootstrap? then do i just flash the zip above? do i have to flash .588 or something before you can goto .591 or can i go straight to .591 from 2.2.1?

BoJatey

Reaction score
It says right there when you downloaded that you have to be on .588 before you flash .591. I've never done it because until now just too complicated. That's why I went GBLib. One file. He's supposed to come out with something tomorrow so maybe wait to see what it is but here's what I would do if I were you.

1. Back up apps with Titanium.
2. Export contacts to sd card.
3. Boot into recovery using D2. (Some still use DX but you have to go to settings, applications, development and uncheck USB debugging).
4. Make a backup of your 2.2.1
5. Wipe data/factory (I always go to mounts and storage, format data and then format cache. It's the same as wiping but either way is fine.
6. Install the update.zip (.588 rooted) from TBH app. One file instead of three.
7. Reboot (should boot once into .588 just to make sure you made it that far.) Google may try to restore your apps. If so, wait or stop the dl's.
8. Get D2 from market and start process over beginning at step 3 and when you get to step 4, backup .588. Don't forget step 5 (wipe data/factory or mounts and storage, format data, format cache.)
9. Repeat step 6 but this time you're installing .591, rooted, deodexed.
10. Reboot
11. Get Titanium from market and restore apps and data. Google may try to do it again.
12. Contacts should be there, if not, import from sd card.
13. Reboot.

If everything goes according to plan you've got what you wanted. Latest GB (hopefully final GB), Rooted and deodexed.
Again, this is what I would do. If you want to hold out and get help from someone that's done it, fine if that makes you comfortable. Either way you've got to pull the trigger sometime. Good luck.

Last edited: