What Would You Like To See In Android 5.0

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Android 5.0 [or whatever they will label it] what would you like to see become part of the OS?

androidlove_greenbot-100246228-primary.idge.jpg

More control over auto-updates

Even with an "update all" option, manually updating apps on a smartphone or tablet is a pain, which is why Google Play's auto-update feature is so great. But it also tends to have the worst possible timing, beginning an update cycle just when you want to stream a video or play a game.
That's why Google needs to add a "pause updates" option or allow users to schedule auto-updates only between 1 a.m. and 3 a.m. Something, anything, to give users more control over when their phones start auto-updating.

Quiet time

The Moto X has it, the Samsung Galaxy S5 has it, and Google Play definitely has it, but why doesn't the core Android experience have a quiet time setting? Even Microsoft's Outlook.com app for Android has this feature, as do both Windows Phone and iOS. Quiet time guarantees you won't get buzzed via instant message or or hit with phone calls when you're trying to sleep, automatically silencing incoming notifications, calls, and texts.
You could just flip your phone into airplane mode, but that's not the same thing as an automated solution that just knows when it's time to stop beeping.

Control the notifications bar

For the most part, handling the notifications bar in Android is easy: Look at your alert and swipe it away when you're done. Simple! Except for when it's not. There are a handful of apps, like AirDroid and BBM, that overstay their welcome by not letting you swipe them away. Beyond being merely annoying, the right (wrong?) mix of these "permanent" apps can clog up your notifications section quickly.
Android 5.0 should force apps that insist upon residing in the notifications bar to have a "switch off" option, to allow you to manually banish the pushy offenders into the abyss. Hey, Windows lets you hide programs from the taskbar and system tray, right?
Calendar subscriptions

Maybe the world has moved on to event calendars on Facebook and Google+, or maybe calendar apps are just too old school. Even so, it's odd that the core Android OS can't handle (iCalendar) files.
You would think the company behind one of the most popular online calendar apps would support one-touch calendar subscriptions from a phone, but it doesn't. Instead, your best bet is to access Google Calendar on a PC and then import the ICS file from there.

Easy Themes [from OnePlus One]

The OnePlus One has some neat feature that could become part of the OS

oneplusone_themes2-100315005-large.idge.jpg

Imagine not having to root your phone or install a launcher just to add some pizazz to your mobile device’s mobile interface. I like that about the OnePlus One, though this particular element is actually a part of CyanogenMod 11S. You can customize every nook and cranny of the interface, down to the animation that pops up when you boot the phone. And unlike some other apps that work with non-rooted Android devices, the theme is applied system-wide, so the icons on your Home screen match what’s in the application drawer.

oneplusone_themes-100315004-large.idge.jpg

My only concern with the theming capabilities on the OnePlus One is that it's hard to find a theme I like that was compatible with CM11’s theming engine. Perusing through the compatible themes can be a muddy road to navigate, and I can’t imagine handing this phone over to someone who is not very tech-savvy and asking them to customize their phone. Also, most of the icon packs that are worth installing aren't free.

oneplus_privacy2-100315020-large.idge.png

With all the hubbub about Android being unsafe and third-party sources spying on your precious data, it’s nice to see a section devoted entirely to privacy settings on the OnePlus One.

oneplus_privacy-100315021-medium.idge.png

It’s relatively user-friendly, too; every option offers an explanation of what you can tweak, so even if you’re not sure of what you’re protecting yourself from, you can at least keep apps from accessing sensitive data, or blacklist any incoming calls and messages from specific phone numbers. And if you’re really attempting to stay off the grid, the OnePlus One comes equipped with a feature called WhisperPush that lets you send encrypted text messages.

Live photo effects

I love to Instagram and post about every little social gathering, but I feel bad when I'm taking a break from my IRL friends to brag to my online friends about what I’m up to.

cyanogenphone_7-100314672-large.idge.jpg

The OnePlus One’s live camera filters help speed up that process, since you can see what the filters look like while you’re lining up the shot. I do wish that they offered better looking filters, however, like VSCO Cam's.
Profiles for anyone and anything

oneplusone_profiles-100315007-medium.idge.png
The OnePlus One’s built-in profiles are extremely handy. You can set one up for a specific person or for various situations. Each profile lets you choose the connection and volume overrides so you can save on data or ignore your phone after a hard day at work. You can also create "app groups" so that only certain apps appear on the Home screen. When you're done, you can write the profile to an NFC tag embedded somewhere in your home so you can tap the tag to engage the profile, or have it registered to a specific Wi-Fi network. Alternatively, you can also pin the Profiles option to your Quick Settings.
oneplusone_moreprofiles-100315010-large.idge.jpg

Google's Android only equips tablet devices with multiuser capabilities, which is a bit of a bummer. But with the OnePlus One, you can use Profiles to share your phone with kids or relatives, and then restrict them so that they can only use a few apps, and only on Wi-Fi.

What features would you like to see become part of OS 5.0?

Source: GreenBolt

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
One of the main reasons I install roms is to be able to control the notification bar layout. Center clock, different battery icons, WiFi icons etc etc. If they would just allow this from stock then I wouldn't need to do much tinkering. It's simple coding they would just need to add in.

Lastly I like to be able to rearrange or add toggles. Yet again, an easy application.

Sent from my Eclipsed XT1060

NOVICE

Reaction score
I want to be able to write to my SD card without rooting. Yes, I know that KitKat was designed to provide additional security but I don't need Google to treat me like a child. This is really passing me off!

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Agree. They allow 128G of storage. For what????

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I want to be able to write to my SD card without rooting. Yes, I know that KitKat was designed to provide additional security but I don't need Google to treat me like a child. This is really passing me off!

I don't need Google protecting me from myself. Are photos of my children are a possible threat to national security or something? Funny photos seen on Facebook that I download to share on a forum and kind of trade secret?
Didn't they lock out something on Gingerbread that they capitulated to and started allowing us to save externally again with ICS? Wasn't it apps? Maybe they'll allow us to write jpegs,pngs and gifs with lollipop (or whatever they call it)

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk