what to do with an old Droid X?

imp3r10

Reaction score
I'm getting the new sgs3 when it comes out and will not Elbe using my DX anymore. Are there any ideas out there that people have used their old androids for?

Beka27

Reaction score
Different charities will take used phones or you can donate them to troops.

As far as keeping it yourself and using it, you can use it as a mini wifi tablet. My husband and I are both retiring Xs when our S3s come. One of our Xs are going to go to our (almost 9yo) son. I'm going to factory reset it for him and he'll be able to play all of the games he likes on there, access his gmail (which is mostly just funny picture emails my family sends him), and I'm going to put his music on there for him so it can function as an mp3 player. I guess he can also use it as a morning alarm clock if he wants.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I typically suggest to my customers to either donate them to a women's shelter (especially basic phones), or keep it as a backup! You never know if/when something might happen and you're stuck without a phone because you don't have insurance or something.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I think keeping your old phone is a no brainer now with the tiered pricing everyone will be forced to go to eventually. If your New phone down the road is out of warranty and if getting a new phone means a new contract and the move to tiered pricing, you can always activate your old phone to remain on unlimited data...which I understand you can do...unless they change it. Otherwise you would need to buy an unlocked phone...which isn't cheap. It's nice to have the backup. It could save you a lot of money.

Sent from my HTC Android Rezound using Forum Runner.

Snoking

Reaction score
I sold my OG Droid for 85 bucks on CL and sold Beats EB for 60. Paid 99.95 for Rezound. So I was happy! At this point I would just buy a used Rezound if I need to. So if one does a warranty replacement with a newer model phone because theirs is no longer available, what is VZW going to do with ones unlimited data plan?

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I just keep my og droid as a media device. Besides always good to have a backup phone just in case.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Keep it as a backup. You never know when you might need it.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I sold my OG Droid for 85 bucks on CL and sold Beats EB for 60. Paid 99.95 for Rezound. So I was happy! At this point I would just buy a used Rezound if I need to. So if one does a warranty replacement with a newer model phone because theirs is no longer available, what is VZW going to do with ones unlimited data plan?

My initial thought would be that because it is just a replacement device and not a contract renewal, the unlimited data would not be compromised in any way. That's my hope anyway! But who knows how it's all going to play out, especially down the road.