What is this horizontal line on the reception icon??

Didush

Reaction score
Hi,
I have android 4.2.2. Not sure if any of the coming details are related, but here goes:
- my phone fell today. Looked like all works well. I called, texted etc.
- hours later, i was not able to send a text. Got online with the support, and it got fixed.
- while dealing with that, i noticed a line that i never saw before, as part of the usual reception icon on top of the mobile screen. It appears only when i enter text/call/contacts screens (as far as i can tell, maybe it will show on other places i didnt check).
Anybody knows what this line is? Can i attach a screen picture here?
The support guy said it means probably something is wrong with my phone, due to the fall, and i should go and check it.
*HERE* is a picture of it. I marked it with a red circle. You can see the thin blue horizontal line just under the reception bars.
Who knows what it means?
Thanks.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Looks like it's some sort range extender or something. Your regular cell service is not connected. I have to believe whatever it is its carrier specific

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
D

Didush

Reaction score
Thanks Miller6386. I have "Ultra Mobile" Sim card, and they use T-Mobile network.
If it is range related, no reason to worry, its just that i've never seen this before, and im in the middle of the city, with no reason to believe im far from reception/towers.
Anybody on T-Mobile have seen this before?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You're not accidentally on Wi-Fi calling are you?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
D

Didush

Reaction score
Not sure what exactly you mean by "Wifi calling". The line appears regardless of my wifi/data is on or off.
It does not appear when i enter all the wifi apps like Whatsapp, Skype etc.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure what exactly you mean by "Wifi calling". The line appears regardless of my wifi/data is on or off.
It does not appear when i enter all the wifi apps like Whatsapp, Skype etc.
T-Mobile has the ability to use Wi-Fi for phone calls and texts with your regular number in areas that have no T-Mobile signal . It can be set to auto, set to never or set to always make calls over Wi-Fi. Could be the phone has been set to always if I'm reading your original post correctly. I can't quite make out the red circle with a line through it you've partially covered that's just to the right of the bars you circled to confirm .

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate

OP
D

Didush

Reaction score
The empty bars to the right of the red circle are of another sim card i have in the phone, and i deactivated that sim, so it shouldnt be related to the blue horizontal line of the active sim.
It might be Wifi calls, though so far i couldnt find anywhere on the phone the auto/never/always switch for it, assuming it can be controlled from my phone.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The empty bars to the right of the red circle are of another sim card i have in the phone, and i deactivated that sim, so it shouldnt be related to the blue horizontal line of the active sim.
It might be Wifi calls, though so far i couldnt find anywhere on the phone the auto/never/always switch for it, assuming it can be controlled from my phone.
If I remember it's under Wi-Fi advanced settings on my T-Mobile G2. I'll find the phone and post how to get to it when I get home tonight

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
D

Didush

Reaction score
Thanks so much. I cant see it under Wifi/Advanced.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't access my calling options because it's no longer connected and gives "invalid SIM card" error . It's under Tethering and Networks on the G2
6fcdea22b26bd4703cf793736e5a63d9.jpg

78e006416a5953a016f5387bfd22b5fc.jpg

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><