Want to upgrade to the Razr Maxx?

MontanaTom

Reaction score
With the announcement that Verizon will be releasing a Razr Maxx with much better battery life, in the next few weeks, I have a few suggestions for those holiday shoppers who "fell" for the original Razr and are still in their special Holiday trial period that ends Sat, Jan. 14th or for those who just recently purchased an original Razr!

If you would like a chance to get into the Razr Maxx instead, and decide to return your recently purchased Razr to wait for it.... check out your Google Maps / Google Sky Maps app on your Razr, because chances are that it doesn't work properly (known bug), and if it doesn't work properly with the compass enabled, then it is considered "defective" since Google Maps is an advertised feature of the Razr, and since it's technically "defective," Verizon WILL take it back under the trial period WITHOUT charging you the $70 restocking fee that they normally charge when you return a phone (which is a BS "trial" period anyway). Course if you don't ask, they won't tell you that, and this was verified by a Verizon rep on 01/09/12 when I called to ask him for a compass fix or a solution before I decide to return my Razr! Course now that I know a "better" Razr Maxx is on the way... I think I'll just get my upgrade and $300 back and wait for it! Or, I may go with the Galazy Nexus which looks pretty comparable also! Just food for thought anyway!

Reaction score
Interesting that this is a known bug when I have not heard of any complaints yet. Not saying it is not, just surprised I have not read about it.

Anyway, I use my RAZR with Google maps and navigation religiously and the compass seems to work for me or I just don't know the difference. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
M

MontanaTom

Reaction score
Well my son has a Razr in Seattle and his seems to work fine with Google Maps / Sky Maps, etc. so I know it's not all Razrs but there are people complaining about it (besides me) in other forums as well, and Verizon, Motorola and Google are well aware of it, in fact Google talks about a fix coming out here: https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!msg/maps/e5mNDpSjThc/iOTOw3ddv1wJ . But who knows when it will be an OTA update, and no one talks about it much as I imagine its not something a lot of people even use! And yes... the normal "Compass" app in Market seems to work ok, but it's still not reliable and changes by 10 or 15 degrees if you walk away and come back to a location and that's after many calibrations, (on the "bugged" phones anyway)! And the Verizon rep told me there would be a $70 or $75 (can't remember) restocking fee yesterday, but when I complained about that he said it would classify as "defective" anyway so I woulnd't have to pay it. I'll know more in a few hours.

kandu

Reaction score
I love the Razr and I'm stickin to it. But need a good external backiup battery

Tempting though it is to trade in my newly purchased Razr for the Maxx, I'm going to take a pass. Granted, the battery on the new Maxx is much improved, but the size is bigger (closer to the Galaxy nexus, I think) and I just love the way the origiinal Razr fits in my hand and it's low profile in my belt holster.

That said, does anyone have any suggestions for an external backup battery? I just saw GoalZero Guide 10 Adventure Kit Amazon.com: Goal Zero 19006 Guide 10 Adventure Kit with 4 Goal Zero AA Batteries: Automotive (Solar powered) at Costco which looks interesting and versatile (power or solar charge for the battery) but the user reviews at Amazon are mixed. Any thoughts? Thanks.