want 3g only help please!!!

codyweis

Reaction score
I have a galaxy s 3 and a razr. My razr was originally able to stay in a 3g mode but when it updated to ics it only stays in 4g/3g. Same with my galaxy is there a way to keep it in 3g? 3g, 4g,

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Phone Info

From what I've seen, this is the only app that works for quickly getting into the menu required to change this on the S3. After installing and opening the app, select "Device information." Then scroll down to the first drop box. It should say LTE/CDMA/EvDo by default. Tap on it, and select "CDMA auto (PRL)." Hit the back button to exit out of the app in order to make sure it saved the setting change. This will put your phone into 3G-only mode.

Jelly Bean edit: The Phone Info app will work the same way to put the S3 into 3G-only mode with the Jelly Bean update. But it won't work if you want to switch your phone back to LTE/CDMA. To switch and get LTE back, you'll need to make the change in the phone's settings. Go to Settings -> More settings (under Wireless and network) -> Mobile networks -> Network mode and select either LTE/CDMA or Global.

Last edited:

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
Ive been looking for this too. used to use the thunderbolt toggle on my rezound, but couldn't find anything for this phone. Though in truth i haven't needed it since my battery has been lasting a day without getting close to dying. But it will be good to have. Thanks.

ShawneeSlim

Reaction score
Great info. Thank you. Could you give a quick rundown of what the several other choices in the pull-down menu are?
Phone Info

From what I've seen, this is the only app that works for quickly getting into the menu required to change this on the S3. After installing and opening the app, select "Device information." Then scroll down to the first drop box. It should say LTE/CDMA/EvDo by default. Tap on it, and select "CDMA auto (PRL)." Hit the back button to exit out of the app in order to make sure it saved the setting change. This will put your phone into 3G-only mode.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Great info. Thank you. Could you give a quick rundown of what the several other choices in the pull-down menu are?

They are as follows:

WCDMA preferred, GSM only, WCDMA only, GSM auto (PRL), CDMA auto (PRL), CDMA only, EvDo only, GSM/CDMA auto (PRL), LTE/CDMA/EvDo, LTE/GSM/WCDMA, Global, LTE only, LTE/WCDMA, Unknown.

But, Verizon users should really only be using "LTE/CDMA/EvDo" or "CDMA auto (PRL)." Most of the others (which are mainly GSM-related) won't work with the Verizon S3 at the moment since its global capabilities are not enabled yet. And enabling the other modes that are supported by the Verizon S3 will cause the phone to not completely function correctly.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Won't work with Bionic on leaked ICS either.

LTE OnOFF (originally designed for the Thunderbolt) works on the ICS update for the RAZR/MAXX. There's a good chance, since the ICS update on the Bionic is similar, that it could work. Have you given that a try?