1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Waiting for gps signal???

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by joelharter, Jul 9, 2011.

1. joelharter

joelharter New Member

I can not get a gps signal on google maps, jog tracker, and several gps signal apps i downloaded to figure out the problem. I am sure i have all of the gps settings on, i have tried a reboot/battery pull, have tried clearing agps, cleared google maps and others cache/data. And still nothing.
    Any advice? Any other droid 3ers having this issue?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  2. smalltank

smalltank New Member

try pulling your battery with phone off..then put it back n restart..check for updates...turn location ON (make sense?)
  3. joelharter

joelharter New Member

Did all that...
    Really frustrating having my new droid 3 only to have to use my wifes droid 2 to get our family to the zoo...

4. smalltank

smalltank New Member

Try 611...call verizon tech support..my thoughts
  5. joelharter

joelharter New Member

Would anyone else with a droid 3 be willing to download GPS test by chartcross limited from the market and tell me if they are seeing satellites on the grid... im not convinced its not just an compatibility issue with gingerbread or the droid 3 itself. Thanks.

6. woodyman

woodyman Beta Team Developer

just throwing this out there, maybe something went wrong during setup of the location stuff, so try this next time you use nav and it can't find you or maps or anything else and its having a hard time finding you or it says searching.

turn off all the GPS settings, uncheck the boxes for VZW, Standalone and even google GPS Services, then reboot and turn them back on and re-accept the terms for each, then see if it works, let me know how that goes for you? cause my GPS has been fine and I Have about 6 satellites listed using the app you said to try.

7. danachee

danachee New Member

I have the same problem. I called Verizon, who said they don't support GPS, so they transferred me to Motorola. The guy there had me do a hard reset, still no GPS. So I got an exchange phone (went over to Verizon and picked one up). Nope, no better.

So, two phones, no GPS. For anyone with GPS working, what are you using to tell? GPS Status, GPS Test, or something else?

Thanks,
  8. dustyewebb

dustyewebb New Member

I too had this problem. I called *611 and spoke with verizon tech support. I turned my phone off, pulled the battery, then rebooted it (soft reset). Now my gps and location based services all work fine. hope this helps.
  9. danachee

danachee New Member

Ok, here's the difference between my Droid 1 and my Droid 3:

View attachment 35356

Since GPS Test thinks it has a signal, but can't display any satellites, I'm guessing maybe the GPS chip is working, but there's a software glitch along the way?

I'm assuming we are all running the same kernel.
  10. danachee

danachee New Member

Yes, I tried that as well, turned it off, pulled the battery (left it out for at least a minute), hard reset the phone, replaced the phone ... :).

Its really odd ...
  11. technogeek00

technogeek00 New Member

I have both GPS Status and just downloaded GPS Test. Both application showed the satellites on my Droid 1, but now they don't show satellites on the Droid 3. However, the Longitude/Latitude numbers match my GPS unit I have damn near perfectly (and way more accurately than just cell signal so I know its the chip). I think this chip just isn't capable of showing where the satellites are or it receives the information a lot differently than previous chips so they don't show in the apps.
  12. Aeolus

Aeolus New Member

I have the same issue. I have not actually tried using navigation, however "GPS Essentials" and "GPS Test" neither display satellite information. I do seem to get accurate location data though. Sort of bugs me, I like knowing the constellation information for work related reasons.

Will try the pull battery thing tough and report back if it works.

Edit/Update: Tried soft and hard reset... Still no satillite "in view". Location when compared w/ OG Droid seems pretty good, though FWIW OG Droid appears to be more accurate when viewing location on Google Satillite view...
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  13. geojock

geojock New Member

I am having the same issue. Need directions, but couldnt get a GPS signal the the 20 min i was on the road. Downloaded GPS test and nothing. When i turned on the Verizon VZW services I got GPS info location accuracy, etc but it didnt show what satellites.

I did the turn off GPS services then battery pull and now it looks like i can get my location on Maps with out VZW on but nothing on GPS Test. When I turn on VZW i get GPS info location accuracy, etc but it didnt show what satellites.

I need to drive around and see how well it does.
    Not sure whats going on here. What is VZW services? Why is there not the use wifi option anymore for location?
  14. Uncle700

Uncle700 New Member

I sent an e-mail to GPS Status about the lack of satellites showing up and they replied that there was a bug with the D3 that would not show them. Otherwise mine connects quickly and shows position.
  15. markml0528

markml0528 New Member

Occasionally my gps will refuse to function for google navigation, maps, or anything gps related. A reboot is the only thing that fixes it for me.

16. rnelson

rnelson New Member

Same problem here. The phone navigates, but doesn't show satellites in any of the several programs I have used to try to diagnose this. I tried rebooting, removing the battery, removing all navigation software and a complete wipe of the phone but so far nothing has helped.
  17. camack7827

camack7827 New Member

Both my wife and I have D3s and we are both having GPS difficulties, though separate issues. My wife's phone constantly displays "searching for GPS Signal" while in Google Maps/Navigation. Mine will connect and provide directions quickly, but constantly re-routes when it doesn't need to. it'll place me on a side street or heading in the opposite direction as I'm actually travelling.

I'll call Verizon for both issues, sure hope its a s/w bug that gets worked out with an update QUICK!
  18. josby

josby New Member

FYI, I've been having this "Searching for GPS..." problem every few days too, and had been rebooting to fix it. I found an easier fix today on another forum so I thought I'd share:

1) Disable "Standalone GPS services"
    2) Disable "VZW location services"
    3) Enable "VZW location services"
    4) Enable "Standalone GPS services"

I'd tried those individually with no success, but when I did them in that order, my GPS notification icon lit up immediately and I had a lock within a second or two. A fix would be nice, but this at least beats having to wait for a reboot.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  19. blackbelt27

blackbelt27 New Member

The ONLY way I can get gps to work is by not updating maps, and if you accidently do roll back and uncheck auto update
  20. Douglasson

Douglasson New Member

GPS works for a while, then requires reboot

A hard reboot will fix the GPS issues for a while for me :). Then after a day or so it will become unresponsive when a GPS-enabled app wants it :icon_evil:. After the reboot, I see the little "target" icon at the top, meaning the GPS is being utilized. But I can tell that it's time to reboot when the icon stops appearing when I want to use a GPS program :icon_eek:.

The GPS apps that I use most often are:

• Car Dock (when I insert the phone into the windshield mount, it uses the GPS to calculate speed and direction).
    • GPS Status
    • My Tracks
    • GPS HUD
    • Navigation
    • Locus Free
    It's the same symptom with all: non able to grab the GPS when they want it. It really seems like an OS issue rather than a hardware issue. I'll post more as I play with it. Let me know what you think!
Search tags for this page
android gps test wait

android no gps signal

can't find gps signal android
droid 4 no gps
droid 4 no gps signal
droid x no gps
gps no signal android
my tracks waiting for gps signal

no gps signal android

no gps signal on android phone
phone wont find gps signal