TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Just seeking opinions on:
Moto.versions
Android auto
Google driving.
Apparently, these must be used independently.
I like being alerted to a call, a text, and having the text read and queued for a reply.
Don't know if it matters, but when I walk with Bluetooth ear buds, I would like that option like driving.

I've been using Google driving. Android auto may did the same. Moto....Voice/gestures/notifications may be similar.

What do you use and why do you prefer it?
Thank you for your help.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Just seeking opinions on:
Moto.versions
Android auto
Google driving.
Apparently, these must be used independently.
I like being alerted to a call, a text, and having the text read and queued for a reply.
Don't know if it matters, but when I walk with Bluetooth ear buds, I would like that option like driving.

I've been using Google driving. Android auto may did the same. Moto....Voice/gestures/notifications may be similar.

What do you use and why do you prefer it?
Thank you for your help.
I use the Moto. Honestly, I've never had any reason to try anything else. It reacts quickly and deals with reading and sending texts easily and accurately..
I'll be curious to follow this thread and see what others think.
Thanks for starting this discussion!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
All I have used since 2013 is Moto Driving Mode. Works great for me. Before that I used an older Motorola app that would read texts with specific Moto headsets, but that app became the Driving Mode we know today.

I have heard that Android Auto has some interference with Moto Driving Mode if you have both enabled to read out specific things. I can't confirm that though, just kind of remember reading posts about it.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
You can enable the Moto app to always read out new calls and texts when wearing a Bluetooth headset. It's right there in the Moto app below Driving Mode. It does state that it might not work with all headsets, but I have tried it with three different Bluetooth headsets and it reads out new calls and texts when that BT headset is on and connected. You could use that while out walking.

59f709da65a81aaf9d5bc35232fc69e8.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Does Google have a native Android / Google driving mode option or app?

Hopefully some folks that use Android Auto or other options will chime in here and help spark the conversation, so we can see the different options available.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force

Hopefully some folks that use Android Auto or other options will chime in here and help spark the conversation, so we can see the different options available.

I hope so too!
Personally, if there's something "better" or fits more of my needs, I'd love to know about it, but I'm not techy enough to have a desire to go out and be there guinea pig.

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01

Android Auto is what I ran across. Moto that you talked about is what I've always used. It works fine, I just wondered if the other two offered any additional features or ease of use. I didn't know.
Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Android Auto is what I ran across. Moto that you talked about is what I've always used. It works fine, I just wondered if the other two offered any additional features or ease of use. I didn't know.
Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Looks like we're all in the same boat lol
Anyone brave enough to give one a try? I'm not

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Oh great, I now ran across Google Assistant. Reviews are good. I think I'm gonna just test it out as an .experiment

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Oh great, I now ran across Google Assistant. Reviews are good. I think I'm gonna just test it out as an .experiment
Assistant is not bad, it's come a long way since it's inception. But keep in mind that our phones were designed to work with Google Now, so if you do seitch it over to Assistant, it doesn't interact with Moto Voice. Moto Voice for us was designed to work with Google Now. You can either use Moto Voice & Google Now or use Google Assistant; we can't have both on our phones. I believe with the Z2 series, they were coded for Moto Voice to interact with Assistant right out of the box.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Assistant is not bad, it's come a long way since it's inception. But keep in mind that our phones were designed to work with Google Now, so if you do seitch it over to Assistant, it doesn't interact with Moto Voice. Moto Voice for us was designed to work with Google Now. You can either use Moto Voice & Google Now or use Google Assistant; we can't have both on our phones. I believe with the Z2 series, they were coded for Moto Voice to interact with Assistant right out of the box.

My Moto Voice stopped working correctly a couple of days ago. It'll let me know a text comes in while I'm driving & will read it outloud, but if I give it a command, the sound is off. It'll go through the motions, but I've got no sounds to know if it's actually working, or not. I like this feature so I can keep my eyes on the road and not have to look at the phone.
I did just switch out my phone, but it was working correctly after moving into it. Something changed over the weekend.
I'm going to turn MOTO Voice off and give Google Assistant a try. Hoping to do that tonight.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
My Moto Voice stopped working correctly a couple of days ago. It'll let me know a text comes in while I'm driving & will read it outloud, but if I give it a command, the sound is off. It'll go through the motions, but I've got no sounds to know if it's actually working, or not. I like this feature so I can keep my eyes on the road and not have to look at the phone.
I did just switch out my phone, but it was working correctly after moving into it. Something changed over the weekend.
I'm going to turn MOTO Voice off and give Google Assistant a try. Hoping to do that tonight.

You will not be able to use Driving Mode with Google Assistant, unfortunately.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
You will not be able to use Driving Mode with Google Assistant, unfortunately.

Oh no!
Scratch that....
I don't know why my out going volume is muted, but incoming is fine. Don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll go try to figure this out elsewhere.
Thanks for the heads up @Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Just FYI for us Moto phone (Moto Voice) users. The way Assistant works is: once you enable it you have to train a new voice model (custom launch phrase). If you already have a custom Moto Voice voice model in place (a custom launch phrase) the process to setup an Assistant launch phrase will crash & fail. The way I understand it is, the custom launch phrase microphone permission can only be assigned to one app at a time; either Moto Voice or Google Assistant. Not both at once. So if you currently have a Moto Voice custom launch phrase you have to clear all app data from the Moto app (which means losing Driving Mode) and then setup Assistant with a new custom launch phrase (voice model). Once you do that you can't setup the Moto App with voice features; because the mic permission is assigned to Assistant. So no more Driving Mode. So for us, it's one or the other...Moto Voice with Google Now or the Google Assistant. I don't think Assistant can handle all commands from the lock screen like Moto Voice does, so I stick with Moto Voice and Google Now. Future Moto phones should have Moto Voice integrated with Assistant (and I think the Z2 series is already like this).

All of this could have changed in the past few months, but this is what I learned when trying to use Assistant.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Just FYI for us Moto phone (Moto Voice) users. The way Assistant works is: once you enable it you have to train a new voice model (custom launch phrase). If you already have a custom Moto Voice voice model in place (a custom launch phrase) the process to setup an Assistant launch phrase will crash & fail. The way I understand it is, the custom launch phrase microphone permission can only be assigned to one app at a time; either Moto Voice or Google Assistant. Not both at once. So if you currently have a Moto Voice custom launch phrase you have to clear all app data from the Moto app (which means losing Driving Mode) and then setup Assistant with a new custom launch phrase (voice model). Once you do that you can't setup the Moto App with voice features; because the mic permission is assigned to Assistant. So no more Driving Mode. So for us, it's one or the other...Moto Voice with Google Now or the Google Assistant. I don't think Assistant can handle all commands from the lock screen like Moto Voice does, so I stick with Moto Voice and Google Now. Future Moto phones should have Moto Voice integrated with Assistant (and I think the Z2 series is already like this).

All of this could have changed in the past few months, but this is what I learned when trying to use Assistant.
Good info, @Sajo!